Unexpected Things You Learn Along The Way

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Ruth Belena, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I've learned that in order to have a successful career it's not necessary to go into higher education. Not having a degree does not make you dumb and, if you want, you can always continue your education later on in life.

One thing I did not expect was to become more intelligent as I grew older. I mean as far as studying is concerned. There are things that I was not capable of grasping intellectually when I was in my teens, which I have been able to learn and understand much later in life. I did not develop the ability to do critical analysis until long after leaving high school and I was able to pass exams as an adult that I would not have been able to do when I was younger.

What is the most unexpected thing that you have learned along the way?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Eash mind matures in its own time. Now you have a few experiences to take into considereation you can relate to different situations. I do understand what you are saying. The Ah Ha monent. I can't say I learn things better now that I am older but I can say the importance of somethings to me have changed.

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Forgiveness is the one thing that really surprised me. There was a lot of harm done in my years, and although I mostly didn't hate, I did have some very hard feeling towards several people.
    Somewhere in my 30's, I started to get a clue that the hard feeling were harming me. So I started to let things go. Just not think about it anymore. And I found that I was the one to benifit. The bad feelings weren't getting me anywhere.
    It wasn't so much as letting the offender off free, as it was the freedom that I acquired in the letting the offence go.
    A man murdered my 27 year old son in 1993, and I have traveled to parole hearings, written letters, and in general spent a lot of time keeping this man incarcerated. He is due two get out in 2018, and I can eccept that. When that time comes I will let it go, and do my best never to spend any of myself on him ever again.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I learned that 'change' is inevitable. No matter what it is. Whether it's a good change or a negative one, adjust, adapt and move on. I use to wonder about the expression 'Set in my ways.' How can that be when things are always changing around you?

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That we live in times as Jesus describes - as in the days of Noah, or sodom and gomorrah - almost the world is so full of evil it can't hold any more, as God's wrath is /had been/ stored up until the time He Comes Quickly and executes His Plan, destroying all those who have shed innocent blood since Abel.

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

First off, it is not alzheimers. I have always been like this.:rolleyes:
    But surprisingly, being older, the condition I find myself in, I have to be even more efficient and, to be that way, I find new ways to do things. I can carry a lot more things in my right hand than I used to. I have a bent index finger I can use almost as an extra mini hand. i.e.I can carry the water jug with index, thumb and middle finger, and an open can of soda sticking my pinky into the opening and sometimes can carry something else light hung on my ring finger. The cane occupies my left hand so I can't carry things in front of me with two hands; thus the discovery. I carry a handled bag for use on stairs.
    Adversity can be conquered, much of the time.
    And forgetting things is more of mental preoccupation than it is alzheimers.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.