Uploading Photos

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Sifu Phil Bonifonte, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks, Ken.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I read in one of the google results that the chromebook storage urls are not "static," which is probably why the photos display at first then disappear. That storage was not meant to be a file sharing setup, so I'd say find online storage for your photos (Amazon provides that free if you are Prime members) or maybe get a thumb drive if your chromebook has a USB port. You can upload pics from the thumb drive to the forum. Once the pic is uploaded, it's on the forum server and will display correctly.

Jake Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My original suggestions, years ago, about hosting images on a separate server, were based on old experiences with hosting services that didn't allow much space on their servers, but we've got plenty of server space. It works best when they are simply uploaded here, and the easiest way is to drag and drop it.

4. Jake Smith

Registered

This photo is still up.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That one was uploaded to the forum and isn't linked to another location.

Jake Smith likes this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

Oh ok, it seems the one I loaded on posts #143, #176, and #144 is still up on Marie's mechanic thread.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

All my pictures are stored on my computer? o_O When I post a picture, I choose a specific file on my computer where my pictures are kept that I want to upload, when prompted to "choose a file", and the picture shows up.

Ken Anderson and Jake Smith like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

You are choosing which file you want to upload, after which it is uploaded to our server. An alternative way is to drag and drop it into the reply box. Both work.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I believe Ken means that if you link a photo, you can't link one from your hard drive. When you upload, it actually moves a copy of your photo to the forum server and is not linking a URL.

Oops, I see Ken was responding too.

Krystal Shay and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Jake Smith

Registered

Ken, I tried to post on the How do I, and my photos are upright on my photos and when I put them in the post, it turns them on their side for some reason and tried a second one, and it too is sideways and way bigger than you want, even at thumbnail size, when you click it. And I read all your posts on what this forum is about, and hope I am on topic. If not guess you will let me know or you can delete it. Thanks.

11. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

That has nothing to do with the "How Do I" forum specifically. it just happens sometimes.

Jake Smith likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

Oh, ok I was thinking I may have loaded them wrong, or it was the new site. Also, it has a photo of coup up twice now and I only loaded it once, and don't see how I can edit it back to one, and the photo isn't a thumbnail on the top two photos. Are you still working on it? The photos are right-side up now.

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I think Ken mentioned elsewhere that the dimensions of some photos cause that behaviour. When one of the dimension is too large (either width or height), the forum software flips it. You can use almost any photo/image management software and resize your pics before uploading them. There are standard dimensions that photos get resized to. I use a free one called InfraView, and I kick the guy a donation every once in a while because I get so much use out of it. I've used it for at least 15 years.

I choose an option that makes them either 640x480 or 800x600 and I never have a forum "fit"issue. The main reason I resize my stuff is that it cuts the size (in terms of bytes) down to a tiny fraction of the original size, which saves me bandwidth on my rural internet, but makes zero difference in the quality displayed on a monitor. (The larger files are meant for printing pictures, while monitors have a limited resolution.)

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I fixed them. I don't know why it does that, but it seems to do it more often with photos that are of a larger width; although it's done it to me with 800-pixel width photos, it's mostly the 1000-pixel-width photos that are affected. It doesn't do it very often, though. To fix it, I simply download the photo to my desktop, flip it back around, and re-upload it. Once in a great while, I have to do that more than once, but usually, that does it.

15. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, John I wrote that down and will check it out. I heard our daughter tell Marie on the phone that she always seeds her pictures on her cell phone full size, so bet that's why they're too big.

John Brunner likes this.