Veggie Coffee

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a friend who is connected to a company that makes herbal supplements. He sometimes gives us samples. Last year he had given us a box of mushroom coffee several times. And since we don't drink coffee, the box went to our housemaid. Last week we received another kind of coffee but this time it is veggie coffee and has no caffeine. Our housemaids had already sampled 5 packets and they say it tasted like real coffee. But that still did not capture our interest because we see those supplements as money-making products only. IMG_3585 veggie coffee.JPG

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Wonder if you could smoke it.o_O

Ina I. Wonder and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I just wish we could get a decent coffee over here :(
    I love coffee but have yet to find a good 'un

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That looks interesting to me, @Corie Henson , and I would have been trying some as soon as I got it. I have never seen this; so maybe we do not have it over here .
    What company makes this, and what does it say about what all is in it beside what we can see from the front label ?
    I see that it has regular instant coffee in it, plus some kind of a veggie blend. So it is not just roasted veggies and grains like some of the non-coffee substitutes are. I have one called Roma that is made from roasted grains, and it is delicious. I use that when I want something hot like coffee in the chilly evenings, but don't want to drink real coffee.

Okay, I found the webpage, and it is made from roasted rice (should have realized that when I read arroz on the label), and all kinds of fruit and veggies. It looks really healthy !

http://www.thebridgetoselfhealing.com/2013/12/health-plus-144-in-1-arroz-vegetables.html

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Rice Coffee sounds interesting! ;)
    [​IMG]

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - I'll have to try that :p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye When we lived in the UK, our ration card was for cigarettes, hard liquor, gas and coffee.
    As you can imagine, we were popular in our village around the holidays when we gave out presents.
    Beer wasn't rationed, so our friends would ask for American beer. Never understood that one, as the UK
    has some of the finest beers in the world.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Tim Burr
    I'll say its odd - maybe they just wanted to try it. I've always wanted to try a Hershey bar :p

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Registered

Gee, you are very resourceful. I didn't know that the maker of that veggie coffee has a website. The owner is a certain Dr. Tamayo who had invited my husband to the farm last Wednesday but due to other commitments, my husband declined. But anyway, it looks like you are interested in the rice coffee. It is a traditional drink here by the rural folks in the olden times because coffee is expensive. But some rice coffee drinkers say it has lots of vitamins and curative as well. How to make rice coffee? It is as simple as roasting the rice in a pan until it turns brown and after cooling, grind it so it becomes powder. A tablespoon of that powder in a cup of hot water will make a good rice coffee drink, just don't forget the sugar and you can add milk if desired.

10. Yvonne Smith

That sounds like basically the same thing that is done here with grain, usually wheat, I think. It makes sense that people would do the same thing with rice if that were the grain that they eat.
    From what I can tell, that is about what they do with coffee to make it come out like it does, too, and also people use roots like chicory or dandelion root.
    I think that if I were going to make my own, I would go with either the rice or the wheat though.
    Do you like the rice coffee, @Corie Henson ?
    The webpage that I found is old and has not been updated; so maybe it is no longer valid. Is the doctor that invited your husband your husband the same one from the webpage ?

Corie Henson likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, from what I remember, I had tasted rice coffee just once. I am not a coffee drinker so I cannot say if I like rice coffee or not. But I know of some friends who make their own rice coffee for health purposes.

The owner of the business is Dr. Tamayo. He was present in the anniversary of a radio program where my husband was also present. Here is the picture taken by my husband last week of Dr. Tamayo during that anniversary, he is the one in the black coat. Beside the doctor is Mar Lopez, a novelty singer and commentator of the radio program. Mar is a good friend of my husband. Take note of the box of veggie coffee on the sofa. IMG_3582 Mar Dr Tamayo.jpg

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Very interesting. I too have never heard of veggie or rice coffee. I like Folger's or Maxwellhouse coffee grinds or on sale Safeway coffee. I buy Kona coffee blends on sale once in a great while. I'm going ot look into it for my Mom who has AFib did like coffee, but now she just sometimes drinks coffee. Veggie or rice coffee seems to be just what is safe for her to drink-thanks!

Corie Henson likes this.
  13. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Veggie coffee reminds me of the old beverage Postum. Who remembers that? It was not made out of coffee..but had some kind of grain or malt or something in it. It tasted kind of like a cross between
    coffee and malt. I only tried a cup or two of it, but I worked at one time in an MR group home, and one of the residents had to have her Postum every day. I think she was addicted to it!

Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I tried the stuff once. It was drinkable but, gotta have my coffee.

K E Gordon likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

I used to drink Postum and I like it. Since it is also a roasted grain beverage, I would guess that Postum is probably pretty similar to @Corie Henson 's roasted rice coffee.
    As far as I know it is a pretty healthy drink.
    The one that I use now is called Roma, and I like the flavor of that better than any roasted grain coffee that I have tried. When it is too late in the day for coffee (caffeine), then I enjoy a hot cup of the Roma with cream and sweetener, just the same as I would do with coffee. It is also wonderful to use for iced coffee, and this summer, I made that when it was so hot outside, but was too late in the day to use real coffee.
    I remember that Postum used to come in two flavors, regular and what they called "coffee-flavored". They both were similar to coffee; but I think the one that was labeled as coffee flavored was more so than the regular version.

Corie Henson likes this.