Viking Food & Drink: What Did The Vikings Eat?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Joe Riley, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Get the lowdown on what our fearsome Viking ancestors ate and drank to refuel.

"Most historians agree that the Vikings ate better than the peasants in much of the rest of Northern Europe and many will have eaten as well as some kings and queens!"

[​IMG]

"It’s a hard life, sailing around the world doing all that pillaging. To be fair, it’s also a pretty hard life staying home to grow crops and raise animals to keep the family going."

"Both main aspects of life would have needed a decent amount of energy to keep everyone going. But where did that energy come from?"

"Let's dig into the Viking history books take a closer look at what food and drink people consumed during the Viking Age." READ MORE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2023
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love Larson.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Far Side Is Back — But Here's Why Gary Larson Left In The First Place

"The cartoonist noted that his "New Stuff" will feature his art completed via tablet, and that there was a learning curve for him. "But as overwhelmed as I was, there was still something familiar there—a sense of adventure," he said."

"That had always been at the core of what I enjoyed most when I was drawing The Far Side, that sense of exploring, reaching for something, taking some risks, sometimes hitting a homerun and sometimes coming up with "Cow tools." (Let's not get into that)" Larson wrote. "But as a jazz teacher once said to me about improvisation, 'you want to try and take people somewhere where they might not have been before.' I think that my approach to cartooning was similar—I'm just not sure if even I knew where I was going. But I was having fun." (READ MORE)

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to frequent websites that displayed his works. He didn't like his material being used that way, so rather than hire a lawyer, he circulated a letter in part explaining that his creations were like his children. I forget the remainder of his logic/plea. I discovered this when I went to those websites, and--being the true fans that they were--they had removed his cartoons and put up his letter in their place.

It kind of made me feel good, as though there was some corner of life where ethics still existed, and that I was part of such a fan base.

Nancy Hart and Joe Riley like this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered