Visitor

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Dwight Ward, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

About a week ago a dog came on to my back steps eating the dry cat food I keep outside. She was obviously nursing and didn't look well, showing ribs. She was very friendly. She finished off what was outside plus a week's worth of canned and dry cat food I gave her on top of that. I expected her back and bought a bag of dry dog food for her in preparation. I haven't seen her since.
    Is she a pitbull or pitbull mix? I'm not up on the different breeds.
    IMG_0364.gif

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Aw, bless her heart... and yours too, Dwight. She looks like a pit mix; maybe some kind of terrier.

Dwight Ward and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for your help, Dwight. Yup, looks like a 'vicious' pit bull mix to me too.;)
    Extra water?
    The Little Rascals tv show had a pit bull named Petey. Just occurred to me.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sometimes, angels come in different forms, @Dwight Ward . God knew how bad you were hurting after losing your dear kitty cat, Barney, and he might have sent along this sad little dog for you to care for and help you in your healing. Maybe she will come back, she looks like she could use a loving home.

5. Dwight Ward

Registered

Yvonne, sometimes I don't know what's on my mind until I'm told. Your reply made me realize that I was not just expecting her back - I was hoping she'd be back. If she does I'll leash her (she'll let me) and ask around the neighborhood for the whereabouts of the puppies or see if she'll lead me to them.. If I can get them all together I'll take care of her and the brood until they get old enough to adopt. Along the way I'll see if she wants to be my dog.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you are able to look for her, you should, @Dwight Ward . They probably tied her up to keep her with the puppies.
    What happens is, the mother dog will stay right with her puppies until they are old enough to be weaned, and then she starts leaving them. This mother looks like she came from a backyard pit bull breeder, and was not being fed enough food for her and the babies to be healthy.
    Sometimes, the owner will tie the mother up, forcing her to let the babies nurse longer than they need to, when they should be feeding the babies and helping her wean them, and this is a bad cruelty to do to the poor mother dog.
    If she comes back, keep her and hide her somewhere so they do not find her and take her back to their puppy mill ! The puppies are old enough to be weaned or she would not be leaving them.

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  7. Dwight Ward

Registered

That's hard stuff. I'll follow your advice.

Jessica Morgan and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

At least she now knows where to get food. She will be back if she can ,maybe her owners penned her?