Waiting In Lines

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Faye Fox, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Since becoming a senior, do younger people ever insist that you go ahead of them in a line? Any other interesting experiences waiting in line? Do you always, seldom, or never strike up conversations in line?

I will say no for the most part, unless I have just a few items and they have a basket full. I can remember a few occasions where a younger person insisted I go ahead. I always accept if a younger person offers. Usually, it is an older person and I thank them but refuse their generosity unless they have a hundred items and I have one.

I nearly always get involved in a conversation in line unless it is all young people and they start it. Then it is usually with young ladies about clothing or footwear.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    Bruce Andrew likes this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I avoid lines whenever possible.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I seldom go to stores anymore so I don't wait in lines except for check-in at the medical center. So no, I haven't had anyone offer to let me go ahead of them lately, younger or older.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I hate standing in line but when I have to, I chat away with people. Might as well make it interesting.

I was yapping away with a guy once in a truck stop line somewhere out west and the Spousal Equivalent came in from gassing up the RV and said, "Hey, Bob, whatcha doing here !?". It turned out that they had worked together for years back in Florida.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, I've never had that happen. Actually, I've had a few offers but I think it was because I had fewer items than they did, not because of my age.

Instead, I've had the cashier insist on serving the person behind me in line once, saying that she had fewer items. I left my cart sitting there, where it was and didn't shop in that store for more than a year. That's for me to offer, as I probably would have had I noticed that the person behind me had only a few items, but it's not to be taken away from me. Besides, the store has a check-out counter for fourteen items or less, anyhow, which would have made more sense than waiting behind someone who had a full cart of groceries.

6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have not had a younger person let me a head of them in line. Nor have I had a youngster hold a door open for me going in or out of a quick stop or anyplace else. I could be right on their heels and they will let the door close. I have always held the door open for people, young or old, coming in or going out right behind me. I was taught manners when I was growing up, and I still use them. I guess manners are outdated.

Edited to say....And it is not all young people that don't have manners. ;):)

7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes I have had people offer to let me go ahead of them and I've did the same for others young or old, this happened last trip to grocery a young man told me to take his place since i only had a couple items. If someone starts a conversation, I'll reply but not much else.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Most people around here do that, regardless of age or sex.

Faye Fox likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

What ^^she^^ said.​

10. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hey Faye B: ;)

My biggest problem, living in a close-knit rural area, is that when I go to the supermarket I try to avoid getting into conversations in the aisles -- cuz I always run into several people that I know, to varying degrees.

They are all nice people, but (like a typical man) I just want to get my stuff and get out, so I sometimes go down certain aisles to avoid someone I know in another aisle, lol.

At the checkout, we are pretty much a captive audience, but it's not usually a big deal.

What really ticks me off, is years ago they started selling lottery tickets there (I'm not a gambler, never bought one in my life).

And, stupidly, the "Fast" checkout is where they sell lottery tickets, but at a counter around the corner. The checkout babe has to cover both.

So I often have to wait at the "Quicky" aisle because someone is gambling, and the checker babe is taking care of them. Call me old fashioned, but gambling should go back to the seedy places and barrooms.

But of course when the government decides to gamble, then it is no longer a vice. The only thing left that they haven't done (and monopolized) is prostitution.

I'm sure it's coming up shortly. I just hope it doesn't hold me up in the supermarket "Quicky" aisle. [​IMG]

Faye Fox, Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.