"Waiting", Poem by John Burroughs

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Richard Paradon, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

The majority of the poems I read I do not care for. They may be written in a beautiful style, but to me they are not "real". I suppose it is similar to the little stories I write; you may enjoy them or may think they are garbage.

There is one, however, that I really think is excellent. "WAITING", by John Burroughs (1837 - 1921). http://www.poetry-archive.com/b/waiting.html I did not see a copyright on the URL, so I believe it is OK to quote the first stanza to give you a feel of his style.

"Serene, I fold my hands and wait,
    Nor care for wind, nor tide, nor sea;
    I rave no more 'gainst time or fate,
    For, lo! my own shall come to me."

His style, in my opinion, is very strong and my perception of the man is that he is patient and he has learned over the years not to let the little ups and downs of life stop him from whatever it is he is seeking. If you have a chance to read it, let me know what you think!

Ruth Belena likes this.
  2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm now going to look up some more poems by John Burroughs. He is not a poet I know anything about, but I like Waiting, particularly the lines
    "So flows the good with equal law
    Unto the soul of pure delight"

The next verse shows how our sorrows are equally balanced with joy. Being alone should not be a cause for self pity, rather a reason to look ahead with excitement for what is yet to come.

"What matter if I stand alone?
    I wait with joy the coming years;
    My heart shall reap where it hath sown,
    And garner up its fruit of tears"

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Richard Paradon

Registered

As I said in my opener, I am not fond of poetry, but for some reason that poem really hit me! In fact, I had a copy framed and actually had it on the wall for years. It is strange how some things seem to "belong" to us! My first dislike of poetry came from the 4th or 5th grade when I was required to memorize "Evangeline!" It makes sense to me now, but not exactly for a kid!

4. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I managed to check out this poem and I can say that it's a good and inspiring poem! :D
    And I might check out more poems by this author.

5. Molly Fenster

Molly Fenster Veteran Member
    Registered

Ahh, that poem is really inspiring and he gives strong opinions about things, I like content like this!

Any idea where I could find more of it? I really got into if even after reading just a few rows:). Seems like a really good writer!

6. Richard Paradon

Registered

Hi Molly! You can get a start here http://www.poemhunter.com/john-burroughs/