Walmart Announces Walmart+ Membership

Discussion in 'Online Retailers' started by Beth Gallagher, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

All I know is, I can send my husband to pick up milk and he will spend $100 on cookies. :D

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, well you've already told us the reason for that ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Honestly, with all the world's travels I did with husbands the stores I remember and miss the most for good items, isn't Walmart but Target!

I wouldn't mind the membership but only as a free loyalty cards. I never buy enough nor can I warrant the train fares added onto it. It would be a loss of money and not a gain. Sorry!

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think they can also palm merchandise and produce onto people who might not choose the items. It allows them to get rid of aging stuff easier if need be. I have had enough bad experiences with just ordering online and picking the stuff up.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I thought the same thing, but I don't think that anyone here has experienced that. I've yet to try it.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

If it was cleverly done, they might not notice since they don't have stuff to compare.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

They DO do that , and we have experienced it. Once I got cucumbers that were slimy , the little ones that come in a bag. Another time, I got rotten potatoes, and it seems like there have been other things, too….bad avocados. However, when you report it, they take off the charges, with no questions; but it seems to me like they should not be stocking products in that bad of condition.
    The one that really makes me mad is when something is by the item (one price), like a pineapple, all of them are $2.50 no matter what size they are, and they will find the smallest pineapple possible and bring it for me. I can’t get money back, because i did get the item, but it is certainly not the pineapple I would have chosen myself.

Jenna Parnellson and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Exactly my point. Thanks, @Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I am on my son's business Prime account with Amazon. There is no set amount we have to order in order to get the benefits of Prime. Since it is a business account, there are other family members as well as business members on the same account. Thousands of dollars are used for this account daily, so I guess Amazon doesn't require any set amount from us.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

We pretty much get all of our groceries from Walmart, and I have had the Walmart+ account since 2021. They have added on a lot of extra benefits since then, most of which we don’t use, but they are still benefits for people who would use them.
    They are advertising travel discounts, fuel discounts, free Paramount + movies, and all of the shipping and delivery is always free. Trying Walmart+with the halfprice special is a great way to see if you like it or not.
    Walmart also has special sales, like the Prime Day, so if you have Walmart+, you have early access to the sales.

Walmart has also added a low-income option, so that one is always half of the regular Walmart+ price.
    There are only a couple of stores that accept our Healthy Benefit cards from our insurance company, and Walmart is one of those places, although Sam’s does not accept it.
    Krogers also offers something similar called “Boost”, and I would much rather have Kroger produce than walmart produce, but they do not accept the Healthy Benefit cards. If they change that, I will stop the Walmart+ and go to the Kroger one, because they have about all the same benefits as walmart, and better fresh food.

12. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have amazon prime and it is offered with every purchase I make. Walmart offers their membership to me as well. I order the amount of items to get free delivery which is easy. If I order a couple of supplements from either, it passes the minimum amount. I have never paid shipping. Sometimes a vendor wants shipping; I usually choose another, then.
    I am sure free shipping will get changed eventually. I guess I will just have to stop buying online and make my own cat food:rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have had Prime since it began; I make a lot more in rewards $$ from the Prime card than the membership costs, and I enjoy the other benefits of Prime. I'm considering the Walmart+ deal for groceries because my local HEB grocery store has raised the delivery fee to $7.95 for my groceries. Since I typically tip the delivery driver $10 or so, that is ridiculous for a delivery each week.

I think Kroger also has a delivery deal; I need to check that and compare to Walmart. I used to use Kroger delivery before I changed to HEB. For the past couple of weeks I have ordered "curbside" and just drive over and they load my order into my car. That service is still free (but I do give the loader a tip.)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We are right to shop around. I get great rewards from my credit union card instead of other cards and I got stung by the amazon card I originally signed up with. I am lucky with mostly my own groceries. Supplements are the biggest issue. But then I probably get a lot of vitamins and minerals from fresh stuff so I should not worry so much. A bit more work than loading and unloading my car though.:rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Kroger does also have a program, and it is called Boost. It has free next day delivery, or same day delivery that costs, but I am not sure how much. Walmart+ delivery is free except for 1 hour delivery, and that is $10, and maybe one that is a couple of hours for $5. We always order ahead of time, and have the free delivery.
    I think that both programs have a free trial period.

My recommendation would be to order fresh produce on the free trial period, and see how the quality is, of produce they bring you. Our Walmart does not always have the best produce, but other stores might be much better than this one.

Overall, I prefer Kroger produce, and Kroger also has the reward points and fuel discounts that are based on the reward points. They have better sales ads, because walmart really does not have sales ads at all. Kroger even gives you sales coupons that you can use online for more sales.
    Both website have good descriptions of how their program works, and I think Kroger is giving away a year free Boost membership if you also get their Kroger credit card.
    I would have gone with Kroger instead of walmart, but we have the Healthy Benefits food card with our insurance program, and it is only good at some stores, and Kroger is not one of those stores, at least at this point.
    If they do start accepting the benefit card, then I would change over to Kroger.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.