We May Be Getting A Couple Dogs This Morning

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Marie Mallery, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Figure let fate decide if we need them or not. They are one year old male female brother sister, Female is spayed. Man wants to give them away but having a problem doing so, he is to call in next hour or so to let us know. They are mutts and yard dogs medium size ,but we always had mutts and they are great animals.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I'd find out, if you don't already know, if there are any behavioral problems with the dogs. Like humans, not all brothers/sisters get along. I'd just be careful and get all of the info about the dogs I could.

We adopted two Huskies, from a Rescue, that were brother/sister. We were able to walk with each, together, around the Rescue, with no problem. Everything seemed fine, until they got in a fight in the back of our truck that had a topper on it. Able to break them up, but decided to take them anyway. Big mistake!
    Got them home, where we had a rather large backyard. My wife, with separate bowls, was feeding them in the kitchen, and they got into another fight............right in front of my wife! Scared the crap out of her, but did stop fighting after a few seconds.
    Called the Rescue and both wife and I took the next day off (Monday) from work, to take them back to the Rescue.

Will adopt from a County Shelter, but never again from a Rescue. But, that is us.

If, when, we get another dog, it will be a pup (Shih Tzu) from a breeder.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

If hasn't changed his mind we will find out.
    We've had the same vet for 24 years here and he ask the vet if they knew anyone wanting dogs, far as personality,never know what ya get.

Humain Soxiety and Dog Pound was our first chioce, but like EVERYTHING else now its a damn racket!! Now they put them in temp homes, lots of BS and paper work. What a crock!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    John Brunner and Teresa Levitt like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

He is on his way with the dogs, will take pictures and let yall know if he doesn't change his mind of course.

Yvonne Smith and Al Amoling like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is awesome news, @Marie Mallery ! Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get the new little doggie-buddies. Dogs certainly DO make one’s life a lot better, don’t they !

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Yvonne, just as long as they have no major behavioral problems. It our age, "behavioral problems" in pets is what we don't need.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Well they are really skinny but thats ok ,he was a nice man and didn't want to leave them but cared enough to give them away. Said he may cry all the way back home. He has their 2 yr old father though to keep him company.
    They are a little over 1 yr old.

This is the female we'll keep her name Doobie,

[​IMG]

This is Chong, her brother,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

He only 2 smaller ones are staying,

[​IMG]

Jessica Morgan likes this.
  9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Not crazy about their names but don't want another change for them.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Marie Mallery

Registered

Maale Chong named after this Chong, he may be a hippie,

Boobie named after this band, I figure the song is appropriate since I'm sure they will keep us running,

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maybe watch and see how well they react to their names. If he named them, but didn’t spend a lot of time teaching them what their name was, they might not even know what their name is, so you can easily change the name to whatever you prefer.

When I got my little Poodle, his name was supposed to be Huey, which didn’t fit him at all and I didn’t like it. However, he didn’t respond to his name at all, and i think that he didn’t even know that dogs were supposed to have a name.
    Since he didn’t understand about names, and I wasn’t sure what i wanted to name him, I just called him “Poodle” while I was deciding on a name.

It was taking me a while to decide on a name, and somewhere along the line, he realized that the Poodle word meant him. Once I noticed that he was responding to Poodle, I naturally didn’t want to confuse him by changing his name yet again, so Poodle is his official name.
    Since then, he has learned a lot of words to add to his vocabulary, just like little kids do when you talk with them and teach them new words.

He makes interesting sounds that sometimes sound a lot like he is trying to talk, but is not able to actually pronounce words with his vocal cords. He can do fine with words like “uh-huh”, and it really sounds like he tries to say “Allright !” When it is time for his bedtime treat.

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes they may forget their names ,today is hubbys birthday so he got two dogs ,no cake yet,lol. Too busy getting use the dogs and making sure Molly old dog gets plenty of attention too so she doesn't get depressed.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Good luck, Marie. Those little guys look like they could use a good meal or two. That larger red dog (looks like part Irish Setter) that the man has on a leash looks painfully thin, too. It's good of you to give them a home. (Haha, my nickname for my husband is Doobie... I'll not go into details. :D)

John Brunner and Marie Mallery like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

They are really malnourished but really eating now. We fed them some chicken [we make Mollys food] and rice and they enjoyed that. Like they can't get enough. We walked them around the yard too introduced them to chickens [ thru the pen of course].
    They don't look like they are all dog, maybe a fox or coyote mix, Funny looking paws and claws and their tails look funny.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Of course next week vet visit.

John Brunner likes this.