Weather Related

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Diane Lane, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

We're already dealing with severe weather here, and are heading into Hurricane Season. I was going to start a Weather Related thread, but I wasn't sure if I should put it under Science/Nature, In The News, or elsewhere. It would be nice to have one place we could check to see how people are doing, and whether they're o.k. Which section do y'all think would make the most sense? Obviously our current 500 Year Flood event here in the Houston area fits in with In The News, but smaller events might not.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Science/Nature sounds like a good place to me @Diane Lane. If Ken thinks another place is better he will just move it there anyway. :)

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The topic information says that storms can be discussed under energy and fuel. Perhaps @Ken Anderson can make one of the little sub-forum topics there and call it "severe weather", and then we can all list things happening in our area, and also report that we are okay.
    When we had the tornadoes come through, I started a topic and then reported again to let everyone know we didn't have any bad oness here, and that is what you have been doing as wel, @Diane Lane . I agree that having a place to put these storms is a great idea, because no matter where someone lives, there are always worrisome weather conditions, and we always like to know that every one is okay.
    Wherever Ken puts it is fine with me, and if not in energy, then nature sounds like a good place for a sub-topic as well.

By the way, Ina is still without power and thinks it might be tomorrow before she has it back on again. She said she is okay as far as flooding , at least so far. She is conserving her battery in the phone and ipad, but has sent me a text that she is safe and dry, and just waiting for power to come back.

Von Jones, Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

I'm glad she's o.k. and had a way to communicate with you. It seems some places were hit very hard, and others were pretty much spared. I'd like to have one specifically for weather related news and check ins, so people could know to go there if someone was missing for a bit and severe weather was in their vicinity. It seems as though there's a pretty strong community here, and I think it would be helpful. I don't care where it's put, as long as it's put somewhere recognizable. I would never have thought to look under energy, but that could just be me. I'd expect to find things like posts about wind farms, solar energy, coal, etc. under there. Those are topics I find interesting, so I'd probably land there eventually, but for a different type of information. It seems this flooding is the gift that keeps on giving. Some of the upper waters are being released, and that usually results in flooding downstream, so some who were spared earlier might now be affected.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I think that anywhere Ken wants to put it is fine with me, too. Maybe under the "ourselves and others" section of the forum would be appropriate ?
    Sometimes, there might be other reasons why we might be off of the forum for a while, and we could add any of that into the sub-forum.
    I remember @Lara Moss said she was going to be gone with her mother for a vacation or trip (although I don't remember which part of the forum it was in), and if there was a special place for those kinds of announcements as well as weather-related issues, then we would know right where to look for information.
    When I went out to be with my son for his open-heart surgery, I was able to let people know that I would be mostly offline while traveling, and I think that I put that in the travel section, which was not the ideal place for that kind of trip.
    Having a special place for our own forum announcements would solve trying to figure out where something should go.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe a "Message Board for Members" area.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm open to that. It's not a good idea for a new forum because a new forum needs all of the public posts it can get. Every forum does actually, so the danger is that people will post things there that would otherwise have contributed to the public side of the forum. I'm willing to give it a try, anyhow.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

I agree it wouldn't be a good idea for a new forum, plus they wouldn't have as much of a need, since there typically wouldn't be such a strong sense of community as we have here. I'd also be amenable to a section for prayers, for those going through tough situations & wanting some prayers/support, and perhaps sections for medical issues and vacations? It's be nice to have one designated spot to look when someone's been absent a while, rather than having to try to search on their name to find out what's going on. Whatever you decide, Ken, I just wanted to broach the subject and see if others were also interested.

Yvonne Smith likes this.