Weight Loss Challenge?

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Why don't we all use this thread to weigh-in every week and comment about our weight loss or gain? I started out last week at 185.5 lb. and hope to loose fifteen pounds.
    Goal 170.0
    Wt. lost this week- 5.5 lb.fluke
    Yet to Goal- 10 lb.
    Comment: I've never lost five pounds in one week before. Hope its not a fluke. Ate mostly fruit for my evening meal or an occasional ham sandwich with fruit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Bill Boggs

Registered

I had a big breakfast this morning, two eggs, a sausage biscuit ( jimmy Dean, spicy ), coffee with half and half. I use ground black pepper on the eggs and a good sprinkling of Tabasco Hot Sauce and I use pecante hot sauce on the sausage biscuit. At lunch I had a small baked potato, a salad (lettuce and grape tomatoes) a a small piece of pork roast sent over from our daughter in law. Tonight, I ate apiece of toast, with a small banana and coffee with all meals. Later tonight I ate an orange. I'm hoping to lose another pound or two this week.

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

Weigh-in Day:
    Weight - 183.0
    Goal - 170.0
    Lbs. Gained- 3
    Lbs.To Goal-13
    Comment: i have been a bad boy. Yesterday morning i had two sausage biscuits for breakfast. And last night my roommate fixed biscuits and gravy and a couple of Jimmy Dean hot sausage for me and after all the trouble she went to, I couldn't turn them down. I'll get back on track. I've been bad but not in a purple mood.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't weighed myself in a few days because after losing 1 lb one day and being very watchful the next of what I ate, the next day the scale showed a 2 lb gain. I'm sure it wasn't water or muscle either. Thinking my scale is dying, or at least hoping thats the reason.

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Chrissy, I hope you keep on keeping on as they say. Losing weight is not easy for most of us. My heavy meals usually take two days to show up on the scale with their full force and I think that losing a pound is the same way. I have lost several pounds over the past several months and my doctor has cut my diabetes medicine in half, I am no longer on blood pressure medication. I feel so much better. Retaining water can be a big problem, makes it difficult to actually see your weight loss every day. But you're no doubt more savvy about these things than am I. I keep thinking about Popeye eating all that spionish.

Chrissy Cross and Terry Page like this.
  6. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I had a love/hate relationship with my scale so I gave it to my mother. Now, if I want to weigh myself, it forces me to go the the Y to swim because they have an accurate doctor's scale in the ladies locker room. I use to go everyday but now it's more like 4 or 5 days a week because I'm getting lazy I guess. But once I'm in the water it's like heaven. They keep the water temperature just right which feels like it matches my body temp so I just feel like I'm floating in nothingness…and swimming is no-impact exercise.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Wish I had one of those and could use it. Now though I won't get with-in fifty feet of the water with my lung condition. I used to like to float in the warm waters but I no longer go around water.

As your lungs lose their elasticity they also lose their ability to float causing me once to almost drown myself so I steer clear of deep water. But that doesn't keep me from dreaming of floating on a sun shiny day in warm waters or day dreaming of sunshiny lazy days lazily floating along in warm waters. Now however I need a good life jacket or a rubber mattress just to think on such things to assist my weak lungs to keep my head above water. I've become a scarcity cat, frightened of water, even in my dreams.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

This is not advice for you Bill (because of your lungs) but just in general...I used to go to an aerobics class when I first started (rehab after a bout with an onslaught of air embolisms in both lungs/cancer/leg clots in 2011…job stress) and most of the adults there wore flotation belts that are provided free at the Y. Everyone moved at their own pace and some left the group and just treaded water while they chatted with friends because they just wanted to move for their circulation. No pressure.

I finally healed completely (took 3 months, also included diet overhaul) and was tired of sharing lanes with 20+ people so I then started swimming laps in my own lane. I never used to swim my whole adult life and now I feel it's vital…and I enjoy it! I think walking is the next best thing but not if you have lung issues of course.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Not on warfarin but on a 325 aspirin regimen. I tried Kale for the first time a few months ago. My DIL served it one evening. I didn't really care for it. I think it would be all right if you pepper sauced it down real good or something. It needed something. I used to like canned spinach but my room mate will not hear of canned if you can get it fresh.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs , not stopping my diet, just got a little frustrated. Shouldn't even be calling it dieting because it has to be way of life for me to maintain my weight and I have for years. I ate well at Thanksgiving and was surprised I didn't gain. Then I continued eating too well til after Christmas pushing my luck and to see how much I could eat without gaining...turns out I can't eat as much as I thought.

It's only 3 lbs. that I have to lose, I just don't want to become complacent and gain a few more because whatever great metabolism I had for a few months seems to have disappeared. :(

Will be going to my daughter's on Friday for about 10 days and it's a little harder to resist temptation there. Lots of goodies in her pantry and fridge that I don't buy.

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, ask your doctor if your high dosage of aspirin will be affected by kale. You might google it but be careful to find a reputable site like mayo clinic.

Cook or drink Kale (in soup or smoothie). Don't eat it raw. Also, don't forget to run your hand down the big white stem to separate the stem from the leaf and then toss the stem in the trash. The big stem is bitter, hard, and no nutritive value.

You can add this dressing to steamed kale...olive oil, aged balsamic vinegar (aged is sweeter and not so tangy), and a fresh frozen cube of minced garlic (or mince a fresh clove yourself but that's more trouble).

I also finely chop fresh kale (raw) and put it in a freezer bag to sprinkle a little in or on top of hot entrees I make like omelets or entrees that could use a little nutritive color. The kale will naturally steam in or on your hot meal

13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I edited my info about kale in my posts above to mirror this excellent article by Dr. Fuhrman http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-pregnancy-coumadin-vitamin-k-and-a-plantbased-diet.html who is not only a physician but also on the board of Whole Foods and has written many books. Basically, kale must be eaten cooked and not raw and if you eat/drink it you must have your blood thinner meds adjusted. His kale soup recipe saved my life. The soup was a lot of work to make so I don't do it anymore…but only because I don't need to. I do have cooked kale and broccoli rate everyday.

Dr. Fuhrman's kale soup recipe link. I made a huge pot of this, poured it into 20 glass bowls with rubbermaid tops, put them in the freezer, and thawed them as needed. Took me about 2 hours. It's a lot of work but was worth it for me.
    http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/recipes-dr-fuhrmans-famous-anticancer-soup.html

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a weighing scale in our bedroom and I weigh myself every morning. When the scales say I lost a pound, that is good news and a challenge that I should maintain that level. And then I get conscious the whole day through, thinking of what I eat and in the process, I do not enjoy the food anymore. So now I have changed style. When I lose a pound, I would think about in terms of volume of the food that I will eat. That is a better trade off.

15. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I call breakfast! I like J.C. Potter and Jimmy Dean sausage ( I prefer hot) I make and use a lot of Tabasco sauce too, but not on eggs.