Weird 3 Ingredient Spaghetti Sauce Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by John Brunner, Jun 29, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'd like to hear your input on this.

I saw this pasta sauce recipe as one of the linked articles on the DuckDuckGo search page. That article links back to a Delish page that has a video for this sauce. It's by a famous Italian cook named Marcella Hazan.

28-ounce can of whole, peeled tomatoes
    1 peeled, halved onion
    5 tablespoons of butter
    Pinch of salt

Put everything together in a single pot and set it to simmer over medium heat on the stove for 45 minutes, uncovered. Give it the occasional stir.

Toss out the onion halves.
    Serve.

That's it. No basil, no oregano, no nuthin' else.

I make pasta sauce ahead and keep portions in the freezer. I'm running low...it's time to replenish my supply.

Has anyone else seen this recipe before?
    Have you tried it?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

3. John Brunner

@Beth Gallagher

That's an interesting one pot recipe.

One of my few cooking disasters was Ziti I made for a church party last Christmas. It was kinda of what Martha did, with the pasta put into a crock pot uncooked along with everything else. It was horrible. Thank goodness church people always bring way too much food...the absence of that dish was not noticed.

I have an old Italian cookbook and the dishes in it are rather basic and simple, like this sauce I posted. Pizzas lack sauce and often have no cheese...just toppings on a quality crust. I imagine it's a regional thing.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Ugh, cookbooks. I have an embarrassing collection that have gone largely ignored for the past couple of years. One that I still use often is from a restaurant that originated in Baton Rouge, called Ralph and Kacoos. So many EXCELLENT cajun dishes in that cookbook. I bought it in 1987 and it is well-worn. (In the late 80s, Ralph and Kacoos' family business was bought by some chain and fizzled.)

5. John Brunner

I, too, have tons of cookbooks. I still have my favorite recipes I refer to in them, but with the internet, they mainly gather dust.

I've not tried much Cajun cooking.

When I want a spice blend I go on the recipe websites, see what they've got to offer, then tweak the recipe based on the comments. I have a pretty good Cajun blend I got that way that I use on boneless chicken breasts that are sauteed, then you cook bell peppers and red onions in the fond and add heavy cream and Parmesan. Serve over linguine. Not sure that's really Cajun.

6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

No way would I even consider this pasta sauce.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Well, by pure definition, it’s a sauce and if one places it on pasta then its a pasta sauce. Now, would I personally approve of that particular recipe in a commercial kitchen as a substitute for marinara? No but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have a use somewhere else on a menu or on a special.

Note: For home use and if ya like it.....go with it.

8. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I was looking at my favorite cookbook this weekend and I realized that in case of famine I could probably live on eating the book and it would be delicious. All my favorite pages are stained with ingredients. This page has flour in the crease, that page has tomato sauce on it, oh look! chocolate fingerprints. A little oil here, a little mustard there, a spray of hollandaise...

If I boiled it, I'd get a great stew! What's for dinner tonight, honey? Pages 172 through 181, Dear!

9. John Brunner

LOL!!!!!

Oh, man!!! You just described my 1973 Good Housekeeping Cookbook!!!

And here I am, storing MREs.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

This is the famous Marcella Hazan's recipe, yes. I saw it many years ago in an old cookbook. I have tried it, but I could not resist fresh basil. Also, I thought the butter overcame the tomato flavor.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just watched the goofball in the video. She added garlic and basil, so didn't even follow the recipe.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  12. John Brunner

Interesting. I did not watch the vid. It was 8 minutes long. I mean, what the heck are you gonna talk about for 8 minutes when it's 3 ingredients? Plus she cheated!!! And that's on Delish?!?!?!? I am not impressed.

The only thing that lent credence to the recipe in my mind is that there are a lot of plain "sauces" (like olive oil and garlic) for pasta, but that's when you've got a good fresh pasta that doesn't need flavor enhancing.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah, she had to show how to boil water for the boxed pasta. Valuable info. :D

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I own two cookbooks, both of which I received as wedding presents in 1969: the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook (that's the one I'll make a stew out of as it has lower-quality stains) and The Joy of Cooking (which I'll save for some "special" occasion as some of the stains are imported and there's what looks like a splash of Chateau Margaux 1971 on page 204 though sadly it might just be a spatter of some Walmart hearty burgundy).

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.