Were You Denied A Real Id?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Ann France, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Ann France

Ann France Well-Known Member
    Registered

Both my husband and I have used names that are different from our birth certificate. Why our parents gave us different names to use our entire life, I just don’t know. So when presenting our birth certificate and other legal documents for our real id, they don’t exactly match. Now we need to go to petition the court to legally change our names.

John Nopales and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, my driver's license is a derivative of my full name - Ken Anderson, whereas the name on my birth certificate is Kenneth Frederick Anderson. My younger brother went by Harlan until he enlisted in the Army and found that his name was spelled Harland, with a "d" on his birth certificate. It was intended to be Harlan but, for whatever reason, a "d" was added to the birth certificate.

Bobby Cole and Ann France like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe incase you want to change sexes someday ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I never applied and probably never will. It's only needed to get on a plane as far as I know, and I don't foresee any need to fly.

5. Ann France

Ann France Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do not appreciate your response. It was not kind.

John Nopales likes this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do apologize that you found my reply offensive. I shall steer clear of you and your sensitive nature in the future.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

One thing you'll learn in this forum, Ann, there are those, like myself, that will kid around with a OP no matter what the thread is about. To a point, a person needs a "sense of humor" to be on this forum.

IOW, Gloria was only kidding with you!

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am still confused and do not understand your situation, @Ann France . Many people go by names that are different than the one on their birth certificate; but they do not need to petition for a legal name change; so I am wondering why you have to do that ?
    My husband, whose name on his birth certificate is Robert; but everyone who knows him calls him Bobby. If he has to sign some sort of legal document , then he uses his full given name; but that is not any kind of an issue for him.

My mother did not like her first name, so once she was an adult and married, she started using her middle name. Even her driver’s license had her first initial, middle name, and last name.
    Can you please explain why it is that you can’t use the names that you are accustomed to being called in your everyday life, and then sign documents with the legal name from your birth certificates ?

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The law is the law!!!!
    I wrote my long story somewhere else. But I have a couple of friends, one of whom dropped the E off of her first name for her driver's license. Both had trouble with slight name changes.
    Like I said before, I had to go to court to, I guess, sue myself to get a real ID.

John Nopales and Ann France like this.
  10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My great state decided that real ids should cost a fair bit of get so I denied myself the privilege of getting one.

11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Well down here a real id is a drivers license with eye scan. I fought it but lost ,no bank ,no license no life. I have the yellow star on mine proving I'm a good little subject.