What Are Some Of The Hobbies You Lost Due To Age?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Jake Smith, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

For me, some I lost were water skiing, motorcycle riding, and horseback riding. Loved doing those things and find it hard to replace the enjoyment, I used to have. I realize it's part of life but I still, miss it.
    I would enjoy hearing about others' talents and old hobbies and I think it would be interesting, knowing a little more about each other. :)

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thus far, I can't think of any. There are, however, hobbies that I'm not as good at now. By that, I mean that I can't climb trees, or even hoist myself up through a window, but those weren't really hobbies, anyhow. I can still get outdoors and camp on the ground, in the tent, or in a hammock, but there's a little bit of pain involved now, and bringing toilet paper along is more important than it used to be. I still hike in the woods, but I sometimes fall down. Okay, I've always fallen down, but that's because I don't stick to trails. Let's say that there is more of a potential for actual damage occurring as a result of falling down, now. I like building things with wood, but my not doing that anymore doesn't relate to age.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved studying history from ancient to more recent, at times I'd come home from the library with 25 books. I'd use 2 library cards
    , Hubbys and mine.
    I also liked sports, swimming, skin diving and softball which I was great at and played in league's till 50 years old. For a short period did some ballroom dance. I didn't start really living till kid's and I met hubby aka Jake who gave me the opportunity to do so.

Jake Smith and Krystal Shay like this.
  4. Jake Smith

Registered

That's a good thing you are still able to do most of what you love doing. I might have worded this a little differently and put it in a better place because I know some lose their hobbies because of health reasons too.
    For me, that is part of my loss of hobbies. But I am still learning how to navigate the site mostly new to posting on the internet too.

I have seen Marie posting for quite a while, and learned a little that way. Our youngest Daughter loves to hike and is always climbing the paths up Georgia Mountains. I can relate to more pain now than used to be when we were younger. As I did mention on my other thread lost my sister who fell, so be really careful about that.

5. Ken Anderson

You're doing great, @Jake Smith. This is the right place for it.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, Ken.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, it was a weekend hobby/interest for some 15 years.......my horse, saddle/spurs, rope and rodeo. No horse or saddle anymore, but now a serious fan, as my wife is as well, of PRCA rodeo. One of my old ropes now hangs on the wall in our living room as does my old roping spurs.

Powerboating, but, most likely, in the near future, that will be gone also. Hooking up boat/trailer to Durango, launching/retrieving and unhooking is great exercise, but just how long will the mid70's bodies be able to continue doing it? Good question, but not long.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

That's one reason I have this 18 ft. Jon with 65 hp Evinrude, a bit lighter and easier to launch too. That's cool you still have your rope and spurs. And both of you can be entertained at rodeos. I took Tobacco my horse to pin steers, entered the competition a couple of times and he was like what are we doing, you want me to run over those Steers. Acted up a little the first time out and did better the second time. He was a Tennessee Walker and a smooth ride, I spoiled the heck out of him.

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Jake, let me get this right, you wanted a Tennessee Walker to pen steers?? Isn't that sort of like trying to use an Arabian for cutting or reining? Quarter horses, Paints and Appy's are used for cow work.

As far as boating goes, wife and I don't want to sit that close to the water, like in a Jon boat.

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Designing and building broadcast quality shortwave and broadcast radios, making stringed musical instruments. chainsaw sculpturing, roping especially big loop and rope tricks, leather working, buckskinning rendezvous, quick draw and shooting, windsurfing, beach volleyball, furniture and cabinet building, making muzzleloaders, throwing knives, and tomahawks are some I lost interest in and physical ability to do. Loss of interest only are acrylic portrait, landscape painting, pencil drawing, wood carving, writing novels, medical research, designing clothes, sewing, antiques mostly radios, glassware, pottery, vintage scientific instruments, solar panels, windmills, and senior clothes modeling.

The only hobbies I do now are forum participation, some photography (although that interest is waning), buying vintage USA jeans, searching for USA-made shoes and tops, my morning workout, morning nylon string fingerpicking guitar practice, being a sit-down comedian, traveling vicariously, reminiscing, visiting rural cafes and small wineries, and daily walking in rural areas.

Krystal Shay and Jake Smith like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, penning is part of cutting. Arabians make great cattle horses if bred for that purpose. There is an association just for Arabian cow horses. A Tennesse walker could make a good penning horse if they were trained for it. It isn't what they are bred for, that is true, but sometimes horses don't do well in their breeding assigned roles and excel in others.

Yes, the first and most common choice for cattle work might be a quarter horse, but many prefer a paint which isn't the same as a quarter horse as some think. For a corral horse, one of the best is a Morgan, and mules especially hinnies are amazing. Appaloosas are another great choice for an all-around cow horse and definitely a choice of the Nez Perce. An appaloosa/paint mix is also a good one and can have some beautiful coloring and design.

One of my cousins age 80 (well known in ranching and rodeo) still uses her hinny for corral work. She has about 50 horses to choose from. My opinion from experience is that quarter horses are best for range riding and in rocky areas a quarter/morgan mix makes a great "rock footed" horse. As a general-purpose horse, a 14 hands paint was and still would be my choice.

One hobby I enjoyed that I no longer do, was working with leather. I always wanted to make a saddle but never got around to it with all my other hobbies.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have been an outdoor person all of my life. I grew up going camping and fishing with my folks, after i got my first horse, I went on the local trail rides, parades, and rode in the drill team.
    I had Arabians for most of my life, and still think that they are the most beautiful horses; but after i went to a Peruvian Paso horse show, and rode one, I fell totally in love with gaited horses.
    My favorite horse was probably my black Tennessee Walker mare, and she was the best trail horse I have ever had; but the most comfortable was definitely the Peruvian Paso.

Just before I met Bobby, I traded my Morgan mare to a friend for his mule, and have never ridden anything as surefooted and sensible as my mule was.
    After I got married, I had to sell all of the horses, tack, and my kayaks, and I think that horseback riding on trails is what I miss most, with camping and fishing and kayaking a close second.

I still watch a lot of the youtube videos for gaited horses, and wish that I was still able to have a horse; but I know that i would not be able to pack hay and do all the things necessary to keep one anymore. Plus, my balance has gotten really bad, so I worry that if the horse jumped, I would not be able to keep my balance any more and would probably fall off.

This was me at around 12 years old with my Welsh Pony, Dandy, and my little dog sitting on the saddle. She always went along with me when i went riding, and when she got tired, I would put her up behind me on the saddle and she loved riding back there.

75890508-7377-4A89-913D-9922610950FD.jpeg

13. Ken Anderson

I've never ridden a horse that I haven't fallen off of.

14. Jake Smith

Registered

Yeah, on both accounts, and what works for me, may not for others. he was the only horse I had at the time and I decided to try it. He was an awesome horse and we did all kinds of stuff together. When I bought him The man said I don't want to tell you this but by law, I have to. This horse put a man in the hospital so I have to tell you in order to sell him to you. He said I don't blame the horse because the man came at him hitting him with a 2 by 4. Long story short I bought him and we became friends right off. I use to be sitting on the porch with Marie and would say hey, Tobacco you ready to eat and would run to me, I would jump on his back and he would take me to the barn and I would feed him in his stall.
    I use to ride him all the time without a bridle and saddle, he could turn on a dime. Marie use to watch and say, that horse is gonna kill you, he didn't and the only time he almost threw me, I was hanging on upside down by one leg on his neck, and he didn't flinch until I crawl back up and we took off. I miss him and wouldn't trade any of my memories of us together.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks like you had a whole lot of fun Faye, along with some glamour. :cool:

Jake Smith and Faye Fox like this.