What Are You Planning For The 4th?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Faye Fox, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I will be grilling all-beef no nitrate no nitrite hot dogs and have with grilled spicy beans, potato chips, and maybe make a small potato salad. The jury of three, me, myself, and I haven't ruled on the potato salad yet. I haven't had a beer in ages, so maybe I will walk down to our local suds growler place since I still have an unused gift certificate from two years ago. Suds and spuds ... I think I may also grill zucchini if I can find one worth eating. I plan to spend the day on my covered patio if it isn't too hot. I think I will grill breakfast out there also.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sounds good, @Faye Fox ! We never go anywhere in Alaska on holidays, especially the 4th, as the tourist traffic is just too much. We will be doing stuff at home--don't know what--and enjoying our own little piece of paradise.

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll be going to the 144th annual Wyoming Monument ceremony.

upload_2022-7-2_14-50-10.jpeg

WYOMING — The Wyoming Commemorative Association will hold its 144th annual observance at the Wyoming Monument National Historic Site, Wyoming Avenue, Wyoming, on Monday, July 4, at 10 a.m.

Keynote speaker for the event will be Dr. Carla Mulford, Professor of English at The Pennsylvania State University, University Park. She is an expert on Benjamin Franklin and her address is entitled: “Benjamin Franklin and the Wyoming Valley.”

Among the books she has authored are “The Cambridge Companion to Benjamin Franklin,” and “Benjamin Franklin and the Ends of Empire.”

The chair and master of ceremonies for the event is WBRE-TV news anchor Candice Kelly.

The Wyoming Valley Concert Band will perform at 10 a.m. The observance ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. and will include the traditional floral tributes. The event is open to the public and is free of charge.

The annual ceremony began in 1878 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Battle and Massacre of Wyoming, the area’s most significant Revolutionary War battle, which was fought on July 3, 1778.

Each year, up to 1,000 people turn out for the commemorative ceremony.

On July 3, 1778, the fields around what is now the Wyoming Monument ran red with the blood of patriots who were massacred by a combined force of British troops and their Iroquois allies during the Revolutionary War.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is the way I see it, why go anywhere when you enjoy your home. Your place does sound wonderful and why leave a place others spend big dollars to visit.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

That is awesome Ed! I didn't realize you were in Wyoming. It is great you take the time to pay tribute.

Don Alaska, Ed Wilson and Tony Page like this.
  6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We are grillin' and chillin' at home on the fourth too.

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

nothing...hot here....

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hangin' around the homestead. It's been years since I've even bothered with the local fireworks display. Back outside of DC they were within walking distance of home.

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We generally stay at home and have a barbecue. This year we may not need to do a barbecue because my daughter had a party today for my wife for the good cancer results she got, some of the 40 folks here today we haven't seen since before Covid. I believe there will be enough catered food left for us to munch on Sunday and Monday. My neighbors shoot a lot of fireworks which scares the dog so I'll be spending some time comforting them.

10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Just to be clear, it's the town of Wyoming in PA and not the state of Wyoming.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, now that makes sense. I was puzzled about the British being in Wyoming state during the Revolutionary war. I thought it was just old age confusion on my part hahaha.

Ed Wilson, John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  12. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What did I miss? Did somebody sign a Declaration of Independence from Washington DC? [​IMG]

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That sounds like it was a very uplifting time Tony...seeing old friends (their entire faces) and reveling in such good news.

My dog (a small fox terrier mix) always hated fireworks, and those ones that were within a mile of home were the big professional ones. Right now, there's a guy not far from me here that's started setting his off...and they're not Virginia-legal (I've ordered out-of-state stuff before back in the burbs.) Funny, all the shotguns I hear around here all the time are less annoying than the erratic tiny "pops" of what he's shooting off.

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We're getting bombarded here too the sky is lit. By the time this is over on Tuesday morning my block will look like it has a dense fog that's how much smoke just lays there.

Faye Fox and John Brunner like this.
  15. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Same here, on a dirt road in the woods. People still fire them off, and I've never asked around to see who it is. Probably the woman down the road who has a BLM sign in her front yard.

I was at a picnic sometime in the '80s at a lake, and people were blowing small stuff off. Somebody torched a bottle rocket and it hit me right beneath my eye. No harm done, but it sure could have.

Even as a kid I never thought they were a big deal, although I've always liked and have had guns.

But starting on July 4, 2020, I'm not sure what it is we're supposed to be celebrating. I bet if you asked 100 random people, you'd be lucky to find 5 that did. And of those 5 people I bet none of them would be aware of what we are losing now, with no end in sight.

Sorry for being such a crank Mz. Foxy, and I don't mean to pour cold water on your thread, but I can't get over what is really happening to our once great country. It bothers me every day, and Monday will be no different. :(

War and virus.png