What Do Members Need?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, May 24, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I very much enjoy all of you, and I don't want to forget that this is your forum. Please don't let me forget that. If you should ever become concerned about anything, or if something occurs that leads you to believe that things are going in the wrong direction here, please let me know.

We are a group of people who, in many cases, are very different from one another, so not everything that is said here will be to everyone's liking. I know that I have political views that differ widely from some of you, and there are times when I can't reply to a topic right away because I can't think of anything that I could say that wouldn't be seen as insulting or rude. Sometimes, we might even be insulting or rude to one another, since this is one of the flaws of humanity. That doesn't happen very often fortunately, and I sometimes have to remind myself that a forum wouldn't be of much use to anyone if we were all saying the same things.

Disagreement is fine as long as we can keep talking, and you should feel as free to disagree with me as you would anyone else here. I want this forum to remain as useful and as entertaining as it can be, so if it ever becomes something else to you, please let me know.

Let me know also, if there is anything else that you'd like to see added here, or changed. I may not always be able to accommodate, but I'll surely consider it seriously.

Thanks for being who you are. I enjoy you, and I want you to enjoy the forum and one another.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'd like to make this statement to everyone: I enjoy this site, and all of you. I never intend to be rude or disrespectful to any of you. I have chronic pain, and some days are really bad. If I ever come across as trying to offend you, I promise (unless you're a troll), that isn't the case. :)

BTW, @Ken Anderson I would LOVE some additional smilies, or whatever they're called. Some forums have more than others, and I love being able to brighten up the text with some fun faces or other designs.

Tom Locke and Admin like this.
  3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

It would be incredibly dull if everybody agreed with everyone else, but nobody ever got hurt or lost money by being civil. Of course, the written word can be open to misinterpretation at times, much more so than the spoken. My own sense of humour tends towards the sardonic, which is not to everyone's taste, but we all seem to get by without too many traumas.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I agree, it's often difficult to discern meaning in the written words, or for them to be misinterpreted. That's why I like adding the smilies, it lets people know whether you're kidding, and sometimes just seeing a flower or cat or dog emoticon can cheer up a person. It'd be great if we could get a fox smilie ;). There's a forum I visit calling Cooking Bites, and they have really cute ones, with chef hats, people cooking, etc.

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Quite...

little_fox_smiley_by_mondspeer-d85xhut.png

6. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

What Diane said. I realized some folks don't understand my humor and that's fine. On another forum there are several rude people and if they would just put their brain in gear, before they open their mouth, I'm sure that they would see just how some of their statements can be hurtful to some. :rolleyes:

Richard Paradon likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

When I get a chance, I'll see what I can find. Remind me in a month if I haven't followed up on it by then. Right now, I am swamped with work.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

:eek: There's something more important than smilies? ;) It's no rush, just whenever you get a chance would be great!

9. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, I think this is one hell of a great forum! The people here, including you are really great and we do seem show respect even if we don't agree with each other. Usually, if I do not know too much about a topic e.g, politics, I will not respond as I only know what I feel and not the actual issues. There are many members here that are more informed than I.

You are doing a fine job!

Admin, Yvonne Smith and Diane Lane like this.
  10. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I think everybody should have at least one topic they are really interested in... Something they're passionate about. Kindof like I was saying about debate in the other post. I'm passionate about politics, freedom, and such.

11. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Why would you think there is something wrong with this forum? It is one of the best ones that I have been on in awhile. I love that in the course of my days I can log in and see whats going on, it feels like you are meeting with a bunch of your friends for coffee and chat. That's a great feeling.

I don't think that I have ever read anything that I felt was to confrontational or opinionated here, but I can appreciate the need to want some time to think about what I have read. Unlike a niche forum that is just about a singular topic, forums like this are usually more about like minded people grouping together. How can you not be friends after awhile? Sometimes sincere questions need some deep insight, as far as conversations go.

I especially like and appreciate the fact that the members share so openly, it might seem mundane to talk about things like yard work or home projects but thats okay to me because it is real life. If i just wanted to read silly stuff I would go on tumblr. This forum is a nice one, no need for anything radical as far as changes or anything. You do an excellent job keeping out the spam.

Jennifer Graves and Val White like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

People who have no opinions can be boring, yet those who have opinions are accused of being opinionated.

13. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

"Opinionated" is one of the nicer things I've been called lol
    Since I've been here i havent noticed any drama, tension, bad feelings, are cat fights. That means you're doing something very right.