What Does The State You Live In Say About Your Personality?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Joy Martin, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

How accurate are the phrases “the hospitable Southerner,” “the relaxed Californian,” or “the egomaniac New Yorker?” Are they simply a bundle of unreasonable stereotypes?

https://www.themuse.com/advice/what-...ur-personality

An experience I had while in NYC on business trip, and I had been living in CA for probably 12 yrs give or take, moved to CA from PA....

Trying to manuver hoards of people on the sidewalks, they could have knocked me down if I wasn't Awake to it all....

My boss at the job I worked at was a former NYer transplanted to CA and he was ruthless, unethical scoundral but he was a good sales teacher for me at that time in my life...he attempted to get me to be unethical, but I resisted ..... My 10 yrs at this job, was major GROWTH for my life onward....

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose I fit the stereotypical Texan... gun totin', beer drinkin', got a drawl, y'all. Of course I was born in south Georgia, where it seems to me that people are generally kinder, have better manners, and have a generous spirit. Southern hospitality is still a thing.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I di not think that the state I live in says anything about my personality. I am the same person that I was when I lived in Idaho, in Missouri, or in Washington State.
    I do think that people who live in a large and busy city, in ANY state, are more likely to be stressed and less friendly than a person living in a small peaceful town in any state.
    And people who live in the country are even more likely to stop and help someone who needs help, even if that person is a stranger to them.
    In a large city, being that friendly could get you attacked or even killed. So, the behavior is not so much to do with personality, as it is in doing what is safe where you live at.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I look at county-level election maps and think that people who reside in the same state actually live in different countries. I would think that--as @Yvonne Smith said--you could make more accurate generalizations based on population density.

That being said, the article said "Take a look at the full infographic to see whether your state personality matches your actual personality—or whether it’s time to consider relocating." But I can't find the infographic. I need to know if I belong here or if I'm a carpetbagger!!!

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The article in the link seems disjointed; it is more about finding a job with "the culture you love." What?

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

It may NOT be the greatest site but gives an idea I think so. NYC people as I've known of yrs ago are the same if not worse now as I interact with some mean spirits and so not evolved types on the other forum.,

I never have known anyone from Texas but have heard for years, Texans have a rifle mounted in their trucks.....

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Possibly, there could be a relationship between personalities and the states that someone is born and raised in, but I think that would even be negligible, probably more so if someone is still living in the state he or she was born and raised in. Someone might be more hospitable and friendly if they live in a state where they know people, or where people aren't constantly trying to kill them. I haven't read the article yet, but I will.

Later... Okay, the article doesn't say much, and the map is color-coded but without a legend. The OP question is worthy of discussion, however.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  8. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My state used to say something about me but it has changed so much that I hesitate to admit where I’m from now.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know anybody from New York but I have heard that a lot of them have guns in their pockets or concealed elsewhere.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Many of them do. I don't drive a truck so I carry my revolver in my purse.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We may live in Kansas now - but both of us were born and raised in Texas.. will always be Texan to the end!

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I LIVE in a constant STATE of curiosity, awe and wonder mixed with a little confusion just to keep things interesting.

Now, what state in relation to the U.S. of A. I live in doesn’t change anything at all with the possible exception of if I live in an area long enough, I will pick up on the prevailing accent associated with speech.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

U Bless Your Heart U

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think wherever you live, you have to adjust to your surroundings. Everywhere has its own atmosphere, which is why we feel more comfortable in some places than others.
    I have travelled a great deal and lived in other countries as well as different parts of Britain. The 'feeling' of a place hits you as soon as you arrive. The question is, 'Do people create the atmosphere, or is it something to do with the energy of a place?' Are certain people attracted to a specific location or is it that people of similar characters create their own environment? I think it's the latter.
    Africa is a wonderful place to be but I never felt comfortable there, whereas others fall in love with it and don't want to leave.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.