What Ever Happened To Singles Clubs? Replaced By The Internet?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

After the death of my first wife 32 years ago I went regularly to dances and events
    sponsered by a local Singles Club. I was a good dancer and thought this would be a good
    way to meet interesting women and it was. A Singles Night at the Zoo was a fun event.
    All my dating activity took place before the availabilty of on line dating. I feel sorry for
    todays singles that are relying on the internet to connect.

Faye Fox and Joe Smith like this.
  2. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My condolences

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon, for many young folks, the internet is the "in thing" to use. And, for many of them, it works out fine. For me, it was a Personal Ad in a local magazine that got me my wife.

The only kind of Singles Club I ever went to was a Singles Square Dance Club years ago. There were a few married couples, but it was primarily singles. I had fun, and because I was such an aggressive square dancer, had no problem with the ladies. Most Square Dance Clubs had more ladies than men anyway.

One of the problems many Senior Citizens have today, too many things change and some things just plain stop happening.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

Why condolences?

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wonder if he's being sarcastic/humorous or just his way of saying "sorry about that", when it comes to no more Singles Clubs.

6. Joe Smith

Registered

The the mention of your loss.

7. Joe Smith

Registered

Read the reply I just gave + hold back a bit on the assumption.

8. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

No need to feel sorry, Lon. Online dating is a great way to cut to the chase: Let potential partners know exactly what you're looking for. A lot less BS to cut through when you meet, assuming everyone's up front and honest.

I met Janet, online, sixteen years ago. She drove to Austin, and moved in, three weeks later. She's still here!

Before Janet, I did "The Online Dirty Dozen," and had a good time doing so. I told my online matches that I wasn't looking to settle down, so they knew exactly what to expect.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The net was an excellent move for Yvonne and myself. We spent a couple of months getting to know each other on a Christian Singles site and went from there. We avoided having to go to clubs or the bumps and grinds of being in a crowd, loud music etc.
    So far as singles clubs, I have managed, owned and worked bars and restaurants all my working career and to me, they’re all singles clubs but just not designated as such.

How about speed dating or for the oldsters, senior’s centers?
    I’m sort of fascinated with speed dating. It’s a given that my only exposure to it is watching a couple of movies but for a single, it looks like it might be fun.
    It looks like it’s rather competitive and I can see how someone might come out of the ordeal with a couple of phone numbers and a slightly better impression of whom they’ll be dating. Dunno.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, there (highlighted in red above) is/can be, the major problem.

I met a gal, thru a Personal Ad I had placed, and we decided to meet at the stables where I kept my horse. She shows up with no bra on and I also found out that she smoked pot and carried a small pipe in her purse. I didn't smoke it. Probably the shortest meeting I'd ever had with a woman. No thanks.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

On the other side of the same coin, she probably thinks the same way.
    Going without a bra doesn’t make her an evil person nor is it a sin and so far as the pot, though I do not personally agree with the substance, if it is for medicinal reasons I can make an allowance.

Different strokes. She probably found someone who meets her requirements and obviously you did too.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, she didn't wear a bra on purpose! We were talking by a Round Pen and she took my hand and............ok, don't have to go any further. You should know where she put my hand. To say the least, I was somewhat shocked. Actually, I think she was already high when she came to the stables. As for her pot, it sure wasn't for "medical reasons"! This happened back in the mid 80's.

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

You miss out on the pleasure of initial attraction and discovery with online dating. It's Tell & Show instead of Show & Tell.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've never been to a singles club or even knew where one might be. Pretty early in my adult life, I adopted a son so my young adult life was spent as a single parent. When he left home at eighteen, it was only for a few months since he found that he couldn't pay the rent. He was with me until I moved from California to Texas when he was twenty, and about to get married. I paid the rent on the townhouse up for six months as a wedding present. In Texas, there weren't a whole lot of women who spoke English, for one thing, but mostly I was busy with the job that brought me there, and going to school to become a paramedic, and then in working several jobs in that field, so I never really thought about looking for a wife. I went out for dinner or the movies with women from time to time, but they were fellow paramedics, EMTs, or dispatchers, and I didn't really view our time together as dates. I wasn't actively looking for anyone.

I met my wife online but not at a dating service. We were both working for the same Internet directory and we met in the forum that the directory had set up to discuss directory business. We knew each other for seven years before we ever met.

I've never been someone who'd be comfortable seeking a date in a singles bar. I'm not a hermit so I like to be with people, but I would meet people at church, at work, or in other activities that I've been involved in, but I wasn't involved in those things in order to find someone who I could date. Come to think of it, even in high school, while I had plenty of dates, I have never asked anyone out specifically. We would just find ourselves in the same place at the right time.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered

I met my first wife at a dance in Tampa. Florida 1955. We were married 32 years.
    I was introduced to my second wife in 1991 by her daughter who was a Registered Nurse. We were married 24 years.

Bobby Cole likes this.