What Is In A Name - Does It Matter?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Hedi Mitchell, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just reading about Nick Cannon and his 12 children by 6 wives https://www.today.com/parents/dads/nick-cannon-whos-having-my-baby-rcna73785
    The show if I read it correctly is ridiculous by itself. But the names of those poor children are even worse.
    My brother and I were both named after actors,but at least the names are normal ones. Elon Musk has even dumb names for his kids.
    X AE A-XII Musk is not a name, it is science experiment at best. :rolleyes: I knew two beautiful girls with red hair and green eyes,name Summer and Autumn. That fit them both,but even way back when a bit odd.
    I named one daughter after a girl I went to school with. The other I named after a actress in a soap opera nd my grandmother. But they are normal names. Names do affect us all through our lives and do not understand why parents - specifically rich ones ,would use more normal names. Rise Messiah - Sorry that is too rich. :eek:

Denise Evans and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

6 wives??? He must be nuts. :)

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm named after an old woman in an obituary. My mom liked the names and there I was.....

I named my daughter after the title of a book I was reading and the feminine form of my late husband's favorite saint. She decided to go by her middle name in high school but went back to her first name afterward.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

My womanizing GF named my mother after one of his girlfriends ..he was seeing while married to my GM. That would have never happened with me !

Marie Mallery and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Nick Cannon isn't the same Nick Cannon that hosted America's Got Talent years ago! His looks has changed and he loves to flaunt those looks. Wish there was a different host for The Masked Singer, but...........

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’d like to say that I was named after some famous Robert in the history books or annals of sports or even a movie figure but nope, I’m just named after my dad.
    Robert, Bob, Bobby. Funny how they are considered to be all the same.

8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If he wasn't nuts before those marriages...

9. John Brunner

Didn't Michael Jackson name one of his kids "Blanket"? My mother went back & forth between telling me I was named after one of her brothers and I was named after Prince Charles (she was British.) I think George Foreman (married 5 times) had the right idea: his 5 sons are all named George Edward Foreman. Of course, they each have nicknames.

I watch legacy 50s and 60s tv shows, and there are often names you no longer hear of, like Iona. Men sometimes had names that are generally reserved for women, like Connie or Marion. And Flavia was a girl's name long before single-cup coffee stations came into being.

I like it when people are given legacy family surnames as their middle name. I don't know if that's fallen out of style, or if it's equally prevalent (or uncommon) as it's always been.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't care for weird-sounding names, but it doesn't matter to me if someone else does. I'm named after my mother, so I have gone by my middle name for most of my life. When I go anywhere and present my driver's license, I get called by my first name. I get a lot of "names don't match" crap on occasion when I sign a document.

I named my sons Brian and Kevin, and I still like their names. My ex-husband's first name is his mother's maiden name, which I always liked.

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

yes Blanket is his name

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

*sigh*

What are you gonna say? Frank Zappa was ahead of that curve. "This is your birth certificate on drugs."

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

people with way too much money and things,are often the most weird ones:rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

It's a curse.
    -You can do what you want.
    -Anyone you have around you is gonna say "Great idea!" to any stupid thing you do.
    -If you don't have anyone around you because you gotta protect what you got, there's no one to tell you to think again before doing something that stupid (like getting a chimpanzee as a pet.)

Once again, I must give pause and thank God for my low-key, comfortable middle class life.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I might remind you that your predecessor in name was not only an actress but a very brilliant physicist who was instrumental in the creation of Radio Detection and Ranging or rather…Radar.

Denise Evans and John Brunner like this.