What Is It About The Paranormal That Attracts Or Repels?

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We've seen it here in our little forum, and we see it pretty much everywhere the topics are discussed. Some people are attracted to the paranormal while others seem to resent the subject coming up.

To some extent or, at least, as it pertains to some people, intelligence might play into it. Quite frankly, some people are dumb or gullible enough to fall for anything. But, as much as some people might like this to be the answer, it isn't. While it might explain beliefs in the paranormal on the part of some specific people, who are lacking in working brain cells, it's probably fair to say that there are at least an equal number of people who aren't smart enough to even consider anything beyond the official word on a subject.

There are also some pretty smart people on both sides of the issue. If the percentage of intelligent people appears to favor those who would reject such beliefs, that could be accounted for by the fact that they might be smart enough to know that their careers could be hampered by expressing beliefs in bigfoot, djinn, ghosts, cryptoids, extraterrestrials, or time travelers.

Intelligent people who have rejected the paranormal are likely to assume that they don't believe in these things because they are too intelligent to fall for it. Of course, they are also likely to assume that those who do believe in these things are stupid. For them, disbelief in the paranormal is viewed as proof of their superiority, and it's always nice to have someone who you can be superior to.

So, I don't think that intelligence determines whether someone is likely to believe in the paranormal. Although that might be true on an individual basis, I don't think that works as an explanation. Conversely, intelligent people who accept that aspects of the paranormal could be real might view such people as unimaginative or close-minded.

Some people may delve into beliefs of the paranormal as a means of adding some spice to their lives, for many of the same reasons we might read fantasy books or watch movies about subjects outside of the norm.

One thing that I don't understand, and am hoping that someone can help me with, is why so many people are angered by paranormal topics. We've seen it here, and we've probably seen it in other places where paranormal topics come up, there will always be people who consider these topics to be an affront, and someone will try to shut it down.

I can understand a parent who wants to dissuade his child from believing in ghosts or Bigfoot, because parents could realistically fear that such beliefs will hold their child up to ridicule from others, and parents might want to ground their children in reality - their version of reality, anyhow. Similarly, atheistic parents might want to dissuade their children from believing in a god because they, rightfully or wrongfully, might consider these beliefs to be nonsense. I would have still loved him if he did, but I wouldn't have been pleased if my son were to have shaved his head, donned a robe, and started hawking copies of the Bhagavad Gita in airports so, although I am a Christian, I get that.

But why are people who don't have a stake in the lives of others offended by paranormal topics? Invariably, someone will get upset when a paranormal topic is introduced as if they are somehow harmed by the fact that someone else might believe in something they don't. There are plenty of other topics here, so it should be easy enough to simply ignore those that don't hold any interest to you.

I can only speak for myself. I have never considered myself to be unintelligent, and I haven't come across anything that would persuade me otherwise, although I recognize that I have limitations and have met plenty of people who are smarter than I am.

I would love to believe in ghosts, if only because that would give me a lot of things to think about. I have had a few experiences that suggested the presence of ghosts, and I can accept that I don't have to understand something in order for it to be real. After all, I'm a Christian, yet I can't say that I understand God or that I know what to expect after I die. If there's nothing to it after all, then I won't be conscious of the fact that I had been wrong, so that doesn't concern me. What is heaven like? I don't know. Streets of gold only appeal to me if I can dig them up and sell them for something that I really want. I suppose that if I'm going to spend eternity sitting on a cloud playing a harp, at some point I might actually learn how to do that, but it still doesn't appeal to me. I expect that heaven will hold an eternity of interest to me, but I don't have a clue as to what that might look like.

I don't understand God, and I don't know what the afterlife will be like, yet I believe in it. Given that, it's not completely out of the question that there are some aspects of the afterlife, or for some people, that could be interpreted as ghosts. I can accept that as a possibility, yet I don't sit around in graveyards or old buildings at night talking to them.

I enjoy and am sometimes creeped out by electronic voice phenomena (EVP) recordings like those that were sometimes played on Coast to Coast radio when Art Bell was there. I don't listen to the new guy, so I don't know what they're doing on Coast to Coast now. The few times I have tuned in, the show seemed like a long infomercial for food supplements or other things that I have no interest in, so I listen to reruns of Art Bell instead. However, I don't know if these recordings are made up by the ghost hunters who come up with them, or if they are some other phenomenon unrelated to the afterlife. I don't know, but they are intriguing, and when I play that stuff while in bed, it sometimes makes for interesting dreams.

However, ghost-hunting shows or videos that I have watched seem so obviously phony that I rarely watch the whole thing. Some have been more interesting, but I don't know whether this is because they are possibly real or because they were simply better productions.

I don't know, but it doesn't offend me that someone might believe in ghosts.

I'd love to believe that Bigfoot is out there in the wilderness but, with the availability of game cameras capable of producing excellent photos and video, it's hard for me to understand why Bigfoot is always so blurry. Perhaps Bigfoot is blurry? I wrote about that here.

If you've watched Bigfoot hunting shows, you've probably noticed that these people, who earn (or supplement) their living hunting for Bigfoot, will invariably get scared and run whenever they hear a noise in the woods that could possibly be Bigfoot. If you're going to run whenever you hear a noise in the woods, how the hell do you think you're going to ever find Bigfoot? Of course, these are the same people who can't think of any reasons why a tree could fall down in the forest that couldn't be attributed to Bigfoot.

I've been in the woods at night tons of times, but when I hear a noise, I think moose, deer, bear, fox, coyote, lynx, or raccoon - I don't automatically go to Bigfoot.

Trees fall down in the forest all the time. Do they make a noise if no one is there to hear them? I don't know, and that's another topic anyhow.

So, while I enjoy watching those few Bigfoot shows that are well-produced, I can't say that I believe in Bigfoot. Possibly, but I doubt it.

Are there sea serpents or monsters in the oceans that haven't yet been identified or classified? Yeah, it seems likely that there are, but that doesn't mean that the Loch Ness Monster is real, or that Lake Champlain has a similar sea monster named Champ. Could be, maybe, probably not, but I don't know.

But that doesn't mean that I'm offended by those who believe these things or even that I am uninterested in them. I own books on cryptozoology and on specific cryptoids.

I am attracted to most aspects of the paranormal, but I'm not sold on them.

If you hate seeing these topics, why does it bother you that others are talking about them? If you are attracted to the paranormal, why do you think that is, and does it necessarily mean that you believe in the paranormal?

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Why does it bother people?
    Fear? Movies like the Exorcist?
    Ghost hunting shows even has the ghost hunters being fearful sometimes.
    A marauding satan would upset me.
    Big foot doesn't bother me one way or the other. I loved Harry and the Hendersons!

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I find paranormal discussions interesting, but conspiracy discussions annoy me to no end. I can't believe the nonsense some people actually believe, and it really aggravates me when something is posted as fact when it has already been proven as yet another internet fiction.

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Paranormal discussions don't bother me, but I rarely get in on them because it isn't something the human conscience mind can understand and very few have given much thought or research to the human subconscious mind. I can relate to others that have undergone and have a basic understanding about clinical hypnosis. The power of the subconscious mind can be observed by the conscience mind, but never understood. The paranormal exist only in the subconscious mind where it can become normal.

Discussing the paranormal is difficult on a forum because of deep rooted religious beliefs and personal cultural experiences and beliefs.

Discussing dreams is nothing more than discussing the paranormal.

Conspiracies theories differ from the paranormal. The difference is the word theory. Conspiracies are real and happen every day, but when one takes a few documented events and spin it into a theory that requires paranormal intervention, then that doesn't interest me. I love mysteries, but not ones that require believing in something that is based on the paranormal.

With that said, what aggravates me most is the liberals that denounce real documented events as conspiracy theories. I don't get in on the conspiracy discussions that lack in basic science or require me wearing a grounded aluminum hat. That long chain dragging the ground, slows me down.

Damn it! My grounded chain helmet is on back order
    and the new 100G forces generated by the dual laser
    focused nuclear green energy controlled binary dual wound
    transformed high biased low impedance vertical flux capacitor
    rated at 100G 100KW omnidirectional discharge will be
    turned on today. Not even the Amazon drone delivery can save me.
    orF30SKLy2R0.png

Think Faye think! Aah, I have it. That armor is too hot anyway
    and designed for men. There is nothing like the protection of a
    Faraday shield to protect a natural born female against brain
    and breast cancer and get fresh air at the same time. Turn up
    the power boys, it is your funeral and I do have my shields in black.
    U4Ko42DCWxkU.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

People have an innate desire to make sense of information they are aware of, which is the source of conspiracy theories. Those with the most information are often able to come up with more credible theories than those who lack information. Of course, credibility isn't necessarily synonymous with actuality. The reason there are so many theories surrounding governmental and political actions is that, first of all, there are a lot of true governmental and political conspiracies, but these are also the areas in which facts are the most likely to be suppressed and/or falsely reported.

Similarly, when it comes to the paranormal, I think it's fair to presume that there are a lot of things that we don't yet know about the world around us, or within our own minds. When someone experiences something that they can't identify or don't understand, there is a desire to come up with a story that explains what they saw, heard, felt, or otherwise experienced. We don't generally just make these stories up, but we search for reports of similar experiences that others may have had, compare notes, and try to come up with explanations. Others come across these reports and associated theories, and, if they make sense to them or are otherwise appealing, they may adopt them.

Also entering the mix, I am sure, when it comes to conspiracies and the paranormal, are that others find ways to profit from advancing one or more of these theories, and they may use deliberate falsehoods in order to bolster whatever it is that they're promoting, and this will be seen as evidence by others who come across it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Good post. It struck me as I read it that belief in God is itself a belief in the paranormal.

I haven't run into that hostility you speak of because I've not often discussed the paranormal with anyone. I can say that in my agnostic days I was annoyed at people who believed in such things and gave examples which I saw as not proving anything. I think it was because I saw that some need to believe in such things to escape a purely existential view of human life - we're born, we die and that's the end. I didn't completely buy into that view but considered it possible while hoping it wasn't so.

Existential literature expands on that idea of meaninglessness. Usually the characters are people who once believed in something and their 'realization' is an acute personal crisis, sometimes with suicidal ideation. I can tolerate shorter pieces on this theme but the longer works are simply tedious. Read 20 pages of the very long Being And Nothingness by Jean Paul Sartre to see what I mean.

I now consider many things to be possible that I once dismissed as fantasy. I'm thinking specifically of such events as someone at a distance knowing exactly when a loved one is badly hurt or dies or knowing in advance who is calling on the phone. These are mundane sounding but both illustrate the possibility of our perceiving things beyond our normal senses. Regarding sasquatch, I lived in Oregon. Too many reputable people have seen them and I don't regard this as anything paranormal. I haven't considered the possibility of ghosts or some of the other topics you mentioned. I believe Satan is in this world and I believe in a good God.

7. Ken Anderson

True.

Faye Fox likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We know that there are sounds that we cannot hear, as well as light (visuals) that we cannot see. Even animals can hear and sense things that humans cannot detect.
    This is as simple as those dog bark-repellents that make sound in a frequency we can’t hear; so it is also quite believable that there can be things happening that are in a frequency we can’t see. (I remember reading what those frequencies are, but don’t know how to find it again)

Years ago, my mother went to a Christian fellowship meeting where there were several speakers for the evening. As she watched, she said she saw the face of two of those speakers turn into something that she described as a deaths-head or skull kind of thing. She said that she was so shocked, that she hoped no one else could see the horrified look on her face, and then the faces turned back into what they were supposed to look like.
    My mom was about as down to earth as a person could get, and not given to any strange kind of visions, and this really upset her. She never knew what it meant, but did know that she saw something that other people were not able to see for those few seconds.

I see paranormal as totally different than conspiracy theories; but since both are basically subjects that can not be definitively proved one way or the other, it makes sense to have them combined here on the forum.
    People who like to delve into either rabbit hole have a place here where we can discuss these things, and people who are not interested do not have to see it in the “normal” threads.

9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My friend asked me if I believed in ghosts. I thought he said 'goats'.

I said "Sure I believe in goats. Who doesn't?" He didn't catch that I wasn't saying 'ghosts'. He said "Lots of people don't believe in ghosts."

"Ahh, 'ghosts'. I misunderstood. Now, I have to ask. Do you believe in cows?" The conversation went downhill from there.

Ken Anderson and Mary Stetler like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

LOL

11. Mary Stetler

Registered

People in Dubai don't watch The Flintstones tv show but people in Abu Dabi do.