What Is Your Favorite Cheese? Your Least Favorite?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What is your favorite cheese? Your least favorite?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Favorite - Muenster
    I love cheese so I can't think of a least favorite right offhand. I don't like any "cheese product" (like Velveeta), though.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I nearly always have blue cheese on my salad. It is soooo good.

I'm not sure I have a least favorite cheese. There are likely ones I would not like (I've never tried Limburger), but I've not encountered them yet.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I pretty much like most cheeses also, and even like Velveeta. I think maybe creamy Havarti might be my favorite, but I also really like smoked provolone, Monterey Jack, muenster, and Colby cheese.

5. Ken Anderson

I would say Colby Cheese, but I think that's in part because it's so hard to come by in this part of the country. Our local grocery store stocked it a few months ago for the first time, but apparently never reordered it. When both are readily available, it might be a tie between Colby and Gouda. Don't look down on me too strongly, @Beth Gallagher, but I like Velveeta for some things, like grilled cheese. Not counting cheeses that I would never, ever try, such as Limburger cheese, American cheese is on my hate list, although I have tasted other types of cheese that were far more disgusting, only I don't remember the names. American cheese isn't disgusting; it's just not cheese.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    Hedi Mitchell and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I will be the first to admit that when I was a young bride back in the late 70's I used plenty of Velveeta in casseroles, along with Cream of Mushroom soup. Still here to talk about it. :p I also used to make RoTel dip... a package of Velveeta and a can of RoTel tomatoes with chili peppers.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hard aged cheddar is my favorite. We cannot get the New York and Vermont hard cheddars here very often, and when they can be found, they are incredibly expensive. Tillamook makes a reasonably good one though, and it is aged over 2 years. Opposite of @John Brunner I find Bleu/Blue cheeses repulsive and I feel they ruin everything they touch.
    I heard a food historian talk about the history of Gorgonzola. In northern Italy they once had cattle drives, and the cowboys would herd the cattle to market, then return home with money. They always stopped at a monastery on the way home and bought cheese as a gift for their wives. It was the major income for the monastery each year. One year ( I don't recall the year) the entire cheese production spoiled in the caves. At a loss as to what to do with the returning cattlemen about to arrive, one ingenious monk came up with the scheme to convince the cowboys that the cheese that had rotted in the caves was a delicacy that their wives would love them for. The ruse worked, and the cowboys bought all the spoiled cheese and told their wives it was a special cheese that was a delicacy. Amazingly, the wives did love the cheese, and a con job made the monastery famous as well as its cheese.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hard decision- I love cheese... not a big fan of Velveeta except for Rotel dip. Mainly it is too salty - for me.
    We both really like that Cracker barrel hard extra sharp cheese. We both will skip the blue cheese one-ick

Don Alaska and Krystal Shay like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I also love blue cheese. Outback has a chopped salad that has cinnamon pecans and blue cheese and it is SO good.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yup. I've made that at home. Some years ago I grabbed a copycat recipe for it. I usually slice steak and put on top of it. So very good.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Cheddar cheese, some others with certain kinds of foods.

12. Ken Anderson

I don't mind bleu cheese salad dressing, but I think I've tried the cheese itself once and didn't like it.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I forgot to say that I found that the fake cheese--Velveeta and the sandwich slices--have one big advantage: they don't freeze solid. the fake cheese is great for eating when camping or traveling outside in below zero F. temperatures. I discovered that a number of years ago. That is the only time I eat the fake stuff though.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

I didn't know that, and it's good to know.

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Being single I look for shortcuts shy of completely prepared foods that still don't require 14 pans and half a day.

One of my secret weapons is Velveeta Queso Blanco. Might not be everywhere, but it should likely be stocked in must continental US markets.

Queso.jpg

Yeah, I hear the cheeseheads screaming already, but this can be a valuable tool in making all kinds of bachelor chow.

For example, with some milk and a bit of cornstarch and black pepper you can whip up an Alfredo type sauce. Sometimes I'll throw it onto diced chicken breast and cooked pasta - optionally with green peas, chopped peppers, broccoli, onions, whatever you like. A little broken up crispy bacon tossed in there can add a smoky treat as well.

32 oz blocks are usually a far better value than the 16 oz blocks.

This also works with a can of Rotel and some browned bulk sausage or even ground beef as a dip. You can also ramp the meat and even add some beans and wrap it up in a tortilla. Serve it with rice and corn and even ladle on some enchilada sauce or maybe tomato sauce with some garlic powder and chili powder mixed in. Voila! Wet burrito.

You can cut the sodium a bit by using it sparingly or by stretching it as described above for Alfredo. And don't be afraid to experiment using the original Velveeta either.

So sure this might be heresy, but it has to be better than those Hormel bowls right?