What Is Your Favorite Restaurant, And Why?

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What is your favorite restaurant, and why? Let's stick to ones that are still in business although, as an aside, you could mention a restaurant that is no longer in business.

Jake Smith likes this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Chic Fill A , because it was one I grew up around since teen and lived near it and worked for them for a short while in their first restaurant in Hapeville ,Ga that later became then it was called 'The Dwarf House 'but later Mr.Cathy original owner who also created the Chic Fill A recipe changed the name to 'Chic Fill A.

Jake Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

There is a 24 hour Greek restaurant back where I moved from called Amphora. That location has been around since 1977. You can go in there any time day or night and get a great meal of just about any type of cuisine you desire (350 items on the menu.) My favorite was always Linguine with Red Clam Sauce, served with in-the-shell clams. But if I wanted, I could get an open faced roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy, or whatever the daily special was...any time, day or night.

[​IMG]

The original small diner (from the 50s or earlier) still exists where they serve the limited lunch menu (gyros, burgers, souvlaki, etc.) Their baked goods are so popular that they opened a separate bakery to not only keep the restaurant supplied, but as a retail front so folks would stop depleting the restaurant's dessert offering.

They had a mix of long-term servers and college kids, always very professional with tuxedo-like uniforms. Somehow they attracted staff from around the world. One waiter I used to talk with a lot was from Tanzania, but there were staff from the Norwegian countries as well. I never thought to ask exactly how they all happened to end up at Amphora. I enjoyed speaking with those folks as much as I liked the food. And I had myself on a weird schedule for a while, eating a full "dinner" at 1 AM.

I keep threatening to spend a week in the area secondarily to hit the museums I like, and primarily to go back to the restaurants I miss so much. I have a list.

Amphora opened up a second location further out in the burbs (cheaper real estate) in the late 90s. I just read that they closed the original location in my hometown in Jan 2021 due to "COVID challenges" and sold the property for $5 million. I guess that was an easy decision to make, although it's kind of depressing. As an aside, I happened to be in town in 2013 the last week my favorite Chinese restaurant shut down...the older generation retired and the younger one wanted nothing to do with it. I'm glad I got to say goodbye. Nothing stays the same...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  4. Ken Anderson

I wouldn't ask about it in a thread about restaurants. I'll PC (private conversation) you.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have two favorites; Ninfa's original mexican restaurant in the Houston warehouse district. Ninfa's has been a Houston institution since 1973. It is said that Mama Ninfa's Tacos Al Carbon were the original 'fajitas.'

Second favorite is the Monument Inn seafood restaurant on the Ship Channel. We live 40 miles from the coast so fresh seafood is a favorite.

Actually I suppose it depends on what we're in the mood for. Some days I'd say that a steak house is our favorite, or a BBQ joint, or a Greek place, or Cajun food... etc.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Love Waffle House ham/cheese omelet w/very tasty hash browns and good coffee.

Longhorn Steakhouse use to be a favorite for Prime Rib, but, from our last trip there, they don't serve Prime Rib anymore. So, if we go there, I will get their Flo's Fillet and a nice Lobster Tail with it. I eat the Fillet and wife eats the Lobster Tail.

We went to a Bar & Grill here and both of us got their Prime Rib, but we were very surprised at how much of it was fat. Good Prime Rib, but when a person has to pay for a lot of fat on a steak.........................

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

I use to crave those hashbrowns.

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a small family run restaurant. The owners are from Spain and they bought it and recipes from a Greek family so they have specialties from both countries as well as excellent American food. We started meeting friends there, years ago, because it was less expensive than any other restaurant around and the food was always fresh and good. They struggled during covid and it is not as crowded as it used to be. But the family is still friendly and the food is good. The prices have gone up, but not as much as everywhere else. The friends moved away so we don't go as often as we used to. The Mother of the establishment made a point to ask why they did not see us as much. I think, just to see if it was something they had done or not done.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

There was a Greek Gyro restaurant near Atlanta Airport who had good food.
    Not far from Chic Fill A both did really well because of the airport personnel.

10. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My very favorite near us is Dutch’s Daughter but unfortunately, it has become too expensive with the recent craziness. It is outstanding in every category though.
    https://www.dutchsdaughter.com/

My next favorite is a smaller, inconspicuous place that is more reasonably priced and everything is exceptionally good, service, food, laid back atmosphere. Nothing fancy, it’s in a converted residence off by itself.
    https://monocacycrossing.com/

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our usual restaurants are Red Robin and IHOP, since my wife can find things that are compatible with her dietary restrictions. Carl's Junior is the only fast food place that she can go to, but Red Robin is definitely her choice unless we are going to a high-end restaurant that we go to for special occasions, like birthdays or anniversaries.

12. Ken Anderson

I don't know of any chain or franchise restaurants that I am particularly fond of, but, when it comes to fast-food places, I'd put Whataburger and Sonic at the top of the list. I used to like Jack in the Box, but they discontinued everything that I liked.

As far as regular restaurant chains, I'd probably say Cracker Barrel, followed by IHOP. I don't mind the food at Denny's but it has been years since I've been to a Denny's that didn't have horrible service.

I prefer independent restaurants, however.

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We like Cracker Barrel but there is only one left open in Wisconsin. Fortunately it is not too far away. We have three family run restaurants that we like here. Covid almost did one of them in. And we have one family run Chinese restaurant. It is not good for us but it is good.:rolleyes:

14. Ken Anderson

We only have one Cracker Barrel in Maine too, and it's in the southern part of the state. We stop there pretty much every time we're leaving the state for anything, though.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

My all-time favorite restaurant would be the Varsity in downtown Atlanta Ga. my grandparents went to that restaurant when it was a dirt parking, I grew up going there. Also, the Yellow Jacket down the street. On North Ave near Georgia Tech college.
    I too like Waffle House worked at tehm all around Atlanta when I was young.

Mary Stetler likes this.