What Kind Of Computer Are You Using? Desktop Or Laptop?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am getting confused betweeen the Zoom social media and the zoom as it applies to magnifying the screen image. I wonder if the papyrus scrolls in Hal's basement have a zoom function.;)

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Please don't asl

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

He'll let us know as soon as he gets more paste.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Old dementia fighting HP Pavilion laptop with letters worn off keys. It keeps my highschool typing lessons fresh. I can look at the keys but that is about as useful as a blank cheat sheet. New Ipad 8th generation with attachable wifi keyboard to come soon.

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

iPad 6 ...

I have a very old laptop I rarely use because it’s so slow ,I only keep it because I have a 21 year old embroidery sewing machine , if I want to do any embroidery ( rare occasion ) the programs to make the embroidery possible are all on that old laptop I can’t update , by buying a different laptop due to the embroidery programs wont run on anything higher than XP so I’m stuck with the old LT ..or replace the programs at the cost of $1.500 then they wouldn't be compatible with the machine .

If I ever the replace the machine ( highly unlikely) Id look into a different brand as Husqvarna stopped adding online updates for the programs or the machine about a year after I bought it in 2000

6. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just web searched for running xp on new computer - it is possible with low cost apparently.

There are (or were ) emulators to run on win10, or on linux or mac computers, to run xp just as if it was on an older computer.

Would that work for the Husqvarna embroidery stuff ? (I never saw embroidery down, manually nor by computer)

7. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

@Jeff Elohim
    Thanks for that info I will look further into it
    How the system works for me to do an embroidery design
    I go into a program on my computer called disk manager , there I click on a little camera icon to bring up my entire library of designs , I choose
    a Design (s) I can put up to 30 designs on a floppy disk ....yep a bit on the dinosaur age technology now ....
    I put that floppy into my machine and set my fabric up in a hoop and it sees out what a want
    stopping so I can
    Change to different colour threads or choose to see our all in one colour .
    If I was to replace my machine it would cost me
    6-8 thousand $$$ let alone the extra programs
    I mentioned .

It’s just not worth it I don’t use the machine very often for the embroidery side ..and only sew if I really have to now days

Jeff Elohim and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I just ordered a Mac Mini.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

What basement?

I live in a California Ranch; single-story and no basement!

Harold
    062.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

My Mac Mini came today - well, actually it came yesterday but Thursday is the last day of my work week so I didn't want to get involved in what always has the potential of being a problem. I set it up this morning and, except for a couple of minor hiccups, it went pretty easy. I bought a Mac Mini because I wanted to use a larger monitor and was having trouble getting my Macbook to accept a second monitor. I opted for the Mac Mini rather than another iMac because the Mac Mini and the new 13" Macbook Pro uses a new chip, rather than the Intel chip, that was supposed to be faster. The new 17" Macbook Pro and the new iMacs still use the Intel chip, or I would have either gotten a larger Macbook or another iMac.

This sucker is fast, and it seems to have imported all of my login passwords from my Macbook account so I don't have that headache to worry about. My Macbook didn't do that, although it was supposed to. Instead, it synced everything that I didn't want synced but left me scrambling for passwords. The Mac Mini starts at about $700, but I got one that was a step up from there, but not their most expensive Mac Mini because that uses an Intel chip, and if I was going to spend that much and have an Intel chip, I'd get an iMac. I wanted to try the M1 chip because I had heard good things about it.

The Mac Mini is an 8" square, about an inch thick. Actually, it has curved edges so it's not technically a square, but pretty much. I also bought a curved monitor, and I think I like it. I know I don't hate it.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently received my new I pad 8th generation with an optional attachable keyboard/case. I really like it and that keyboard is better than I expected.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

What model and etc of Dell are you using. Want to buy one.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The Inspiron 15 5000 series. I bought it in 2019.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Thank you !

15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Guess what I did not have to buy a laptop. My BIL gave me a Dell and I have been playing on it all day.
    Taking some time to get use to all this, but really like this . :D @Beth Gallagher and @Yvonne Smith