What Music Are You Listening To Today?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Holly Saunders, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Today I'm going to listen to Ruby Braff on YouTube.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Of all the horn players I've been exposed to of that era, I've never heard of this guy.

Thanks, Tony.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah I had a few of his albums, but nothing on CD that I could fine, so I resorted to YouTube.
    1 of his songs game on on a mix CD that I made while in the car yesterday, so I decided to play him this morning.
    I've got this Hobby or thing where I make a mix CD, it includes all types of music like Rock, classical, country western, pop, musicals Etc. Most of the music comes from downloads, I'll hold the CD for maybe a month or so before I play it in the car. This way I won't remember what's on it. Sometimes I make them on the MP3 format where I can fit between 100 to 125 songs.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

I've not done a lot of my own mixes. I've made plenty of cassette tapes of entire albums back in the day for road trips. My current car has MP3 and Android Auto (and Apple Play) capabilities, but I've not messed with them yet. I kinda like stumbling across new stuff on XM Radio.

Tony Page likes this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

That sounds great, scanning 4 music is fun. I used to enjoy it, unfortunately I don't have XM the am and FM stations don't have the music I really enjoy, so I have to make my own.
    I have 5 CD cases with CDs I made most are mixes. 1 case is all Christmas music which I start listening in October for my birthday. I'm big on Christmas music.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I, too, love Christmas music. I've mentioned before how songs can evoke feelings of the times in our lives we first hears them. It's the only time of year I get to hear Dean Martin, Andy Williams and Steve & Eydie.

XM used to have several different Christmas music stations running from Thanksgiving through New Years Day. Now there's only one that starts a couple of weeks before Christmas and abruptly cuts off at midnight December 26. They also used to have a bunch of jazz stations (the main reason I initially signed up), and now they've whittled it down to one, replacing the others with even MORE "Classic Rock" channels where they all play the exact same stuff. I recall having one Classic Rock channel on and they were playing Lynyrd Skynyrd. I decided to see what was playing on the jazz channel replacement, and they were playing Lynyrd Skynyrd at the same damn time! It's all the crap that I can get for free on FM, and they had to replace my Brazilian jazz station with it (goodbye, Astrud Gilberto.) Then there used to be their "No commercials/No annoying DJs" sales point, which has long since been discarded. It was one of the few times in my life I've sent a company a letter voicing my displeasure.

The weird thing about satellite radio is you can drive cross country and never have your station interrupted. I have gone on vacation and driven 5 hours to the Outer Banks in North Carolina and listened to the exact same stations as I did back home. I did not like it. It was weird. It was out of context. I found myself switching over to FM so I could get the "local radio" feel of being on vacation. Losing and finding weak local stations along the way is also part of the experience of being on vacation. The only time I listen to Country music is when I'm on the road and it's the only thing that will come in.

The only reasons I still have XM are (1) there's a talk radio station I like, and (2) there's the 40s big band station. If my talk radio guys ever syndicate on FM, I'll cancel my subscription in a heartbeat and start recording my own big band stuff to play (since I've already heard XMs entire library many times over), and rely on cost-free FM for my variety.

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Personally I had the satellite trial few times, while they did play some songs I haven't heard in years I found it was nothing to get excited about that I couldn't download if I wanted that song. I generally download to an SD card it's free & do I get tons of music. I have one SD card that has over 8000 songs, another with just Christmas music. I use these downloads make my CDs. Any song I like I just put the title in and I get it by 50 different artists I can record all of them or I'll pick and choose. The good thing is I don't have to listen to them till after I downloaded them and I'm putting them on a CD.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

It's not like the days where you have to play the song as you're recording it, and you gotta tip-toe around so the needle doesn't skip. ;)

But I do miss using my Denon recorder and finding chromium oxide tapes on sale.

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I do too. I still have a box of tapes that I made, one in particular I'd like to hear again it was from the top 100 countdown at the end of the year. That year Percy Faith has the number one song theme from A Summer Place, I think it was 1960. I also have a Teac reel to reel recorder buried somewhere, Maybe someday I'll get it all together listen 2 these old tapes.

John Brunner likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm making my own, I'm playing and singing, "You gotta walk that lonesome valley
    You gotta go there by your self, ain't no one here can go there for you, you gotta
    walk, walk, walk, walk it by your self." ... And you walk back down on that
    harmonica so you can hear it good.

11. John Brunner

My older brother has a Sears reel-to-reel. By far the best recording medium there is. Digital is durable, but there are lots of compromises.

I helped a friend build a small recording studio in his basement...he did all his own backup and we dumped it from a TEAC TASCAM 4 track to cassette so he could take it to his gigs. Very interesting stuff. The mixing makes the tune...you can change the color and the feel after everyone's put down their instruments.

Bill Boggs and Tony Page like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Always like this version

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered