What Was The Last Thing You Lost

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Nancy Hart, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Both of my folks were born in Hill country. I have distant cousins all over that area, probably in every little town. One of my great aunts had a vast collection of Commanche arrows and spearheads she collected off their and other relatives' ranches. She donated them to a museum. One of my great great Grandfathers was the first sheriff of Llano county. He was known for his stone masonry and for being one of the original Texas German Free Thinkers. He went crazy from drinking moonshine and my great grandma and her mother were the first Texas women to have sole legal control over their ranch after a judge granted them the power. His name was removed from the title and he spent his last years on top of his wife's (formally his) rock house singing, yelling, and acting insane. No one knows why he never fell off. Here is that rock house. Also, the first band in that area was my great cousins. Sorry about the thread hijacking @Nancy Hart but I guess the last thing my GG Pa lost was his ranch and second to last was his mind. hahaha!
    Baumann rock house Llano Texas.jpg 116422Q25fopoG.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Mary we have a Mockingbird who dual's with himself in the side mirror of my van. Hubby gets mad at it for marking it, of course it's safe from harm, hubby likes the bird, been here for years.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Appears that the "last thing we lost" was the thread topic. :p

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops: what was the topic again?:p I went back up top top of page and found it, sems like it was some of my memory, hope its temporary and I can find it.

Faye Fox likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It wasn't the last thing I lost, but I lost my wedding ring last summer while I was picking up and burning brush from the back of our yard. It had to have slipped off of my finger onto the ground, but I haven't been able to find it. I mention it only to, at least partially, regain the topic of this thread.

I have raked the area several times and have even gone out there at night with a strong flashlight, thinking that the reflection might reveal it, but to no avail. I suppose it's possible that I lost it somewhere else, but that seemed the most likely.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

:D:D:D

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I can probably count on one hand the number of things I've lost permanently.

I lost a set of keys to some fence gates on a key ring years ago. Didn't realize it until the next day. I knew for sure they were dropped on a specific stretch of dirt road about 100 feet long. Scanned that road up and down with a fine-tooth comb almost, for several days, and never could find them.

They had a leather strap attached to the key ring. I finally speculated some animal, maybe a possum, must have dragged them off because of the leather.

Faye Fox and Mary Stetler like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Don't worry, we will lose the hummingbirds shortly.:rolleyes:

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, I wasn't going to tell this but I guess everyone already knows I'm a dim-wit. Earlier today I was going to vote and was making sure I had my "photo ID." Put my driver's license in my pants pocket and headed out. Got to the polling place and tore up my handbag trying to find that stupid license; got in the car to drive back home. Cranked the car then remembered the license in my pocket. I should have taped it to my forehead.

10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My key chain but that has been at least 7 years ago. I misplace just about everything I touch today. I get more exercise from walking back and fourth because I forgot to bring something back to the kitchen with me. I feel so stupid sometimes it just makes me mad. I have left the kitchen sink water running several times this year but I sometimes force myself to get back up and take a look over. This morning I was tiptoeing while feeding my three cats because I didn't want to wake those living outside too early. Those young kittens must be sleeping in that ice chest I modified for them and can't hear me moving around the house. They show up after sunup to eat and they appear from under the house, that's where I have their little comfy station. After I feed all of them I sit down here in my bedroom next to the window starting my long day of doing nothing and all those cats outside will come to this window and sit there staring up at the window. I can just open the window and pour out some dry food and they love it. I found I can buy a large bag of that dry cat food and save about 10 bucks a bag rather than buy that 5 dollar a bag stuff which of course doesn't last long. My 3 love to eat it all day, one cat will fall asleep with it's face in the dry food bowl. I think he does that so the other two can't eat all the food while he's napping.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The last thing I lost was a fancy wine corkscrew with levered gears. I hadn't used it in a couple of years and when I was given a bottle of fine local wine, I went to find it and it was not where I had kept it for years. After tearing my house apart it is still at large but I did find my fancy expensive garlic press, machine autographed by Emeril, in my bathroom closet on the top shelf among my first aid supply replacement stash.

While my search for the corkscrew in the bathroom had some validity, I am still puzzled why I took my garlic press in there. :confused::rolleyes:

12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Guess what I found today! :) Not only found it but found it where I have kept it for years.o_O That is right, my super geared level action corkscrew was not only there, but actually, the last thing I lost, (but forgot about), my handled V stone knife sharpener was also there. It was also where it has been for years. I looked for both items there at least 3 times. Either my mind blanked it out or there is some strange happening going on around here.

What makes me lean toward strange happenings is finding my garlic press in my bathroom closet.:rolleyes: I can't tell you how many times before bed I have tossed my underwear in the lidded garbage can instead of the laundry hamper that sits three feet from it. :( Thank goodness my mind is sharp in the morning and I get my undies out of the garbage before things get ugly. :cool: The garlic press in the bathroom defies all logical explanations.:oops:

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think we carry items to inappropriate places and leave them there just to screw with out own heads. At some deep recess we are thinking "This makes no sense," but it doesn't register in the moment.

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

truly lost my wife

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  15. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

About 25 or 30 years ago my first wife (may she RIP) bought me a Mont Blanc pen. Black, roller ball, which I used a lot. About 15 years ago one of my fur kids was able to chew part of it up. By that time my first wife had passed away, and my second wife (may she RIP) bought me another Mont Blanc. Later, I was able to send the original pen out and had it repaired. So I had 2 really nice pens. Kept black cartridge in one, blue in the other. And since then have moved long distance multiple times, but never lost those pens.

Most recent move was to Florida (second time) and the pens and other personal items came with me in the car, so I know they were here, in my desk drawer, in the den. Then, a few months ago, they just disappeared. I've looked over every inch of the house and car to no avail. I know it seems trivial but those pens had a lot of sentimental value, so I guess I'll keep looking...