What Would Be a Good New Craft to Learn?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ruth Belena, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I am interested in taking up a new craft in retirement. I would like to do something where I can use my own creativity, but have not thought exactly what this would be. I used to do a lot of tapestry work and I have done some pottery. I would prefer to make things out of recycled materials or found objects rather than spend a lot of money on craft materials.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I love to quilt - it's so fascinating to take beautiful fabric, cut it up in to small pieces then sew it back together and create a completely new tapestry of fabrics, colors, textures and shapes. However, it can get expensive - good quilting fabric is around $10-15 a yard and it takes 4-8 yards of fabric, just for the top. Add in backing fabric and batting, and you're looking at $50-100 for a quilt. Plus you have to have a sewing machine and somewhere big enough to cut fabric and layout the quilt.

Something that I've found recently is zentangles. It's a type of drawing described as the "zen art of doodling". It doesn't require a lot of drawing talent - I can't draw the proverbial straight line. The nice thing about it, you only need a pad of paper, a couple of pens and a pencil for shading. It's extremely easy to do, and the results are beautiful. Try googling "zentangle images". If you want to learn some of the patterns, google "zentangle step outs". There are also lots of youtube tutorials available. I also like that it's portable - you can take it with you anywhere and do no matter where you go. I take my sketch pad with me when I go to the doctor's, when I riding in the car, when I'm watching TV, etc. If you want more information, let me know - I'd love to share my knowledge.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I want to take a class at Lowe's of Home Depot to learn how to use power tools and make simple furniture, I would use recycle and repurposed wood to make simple things for the house and garden.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I enjoy recycling and re-purposing. The main focus though would be are you making for personal enjoyment or do you intend to sell what you make. In one magazine I saw ideas for wind chimes made out of recycled flatware but you can use almost anything that makes a sound preferably gentle to the ears. Pretty simple and you're sure to find something online for the basic how-to.

I actually found a disassembled wind chime at a yard sale and reassembled. Very easy. If you've ever watched the movie 'Twister' with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton there are scenes of different geometric wind chimes that were made by the grandmother, I think. Just beautiful....

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

You folks are killing me here! I am such a klutz when it comes to making anything by hand. I guess the best new craft for me to learn would be how to use super glue without gluing my fingers to the target!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My friend has a craft set, she loves to make things out of pipe cleaners, her favourite item is little turtles, she got a demo from YouTube and has made all kinds of mini animals, flowers and teddies.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Years ago I dabbled in stained glass and made a few pieces. It might be fun to start that again but I'd need to invest in supplies. On another forum a bunch of people have started paint-by-number and I'm really surprised at the kits available on Amazon.

My short and frustrating attempt to learn knitting was an exercise in futility but I have plenty of yarn if I decide to torture myself with that again.

8. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How many of my friends here had piano lesions as a youngster or played in the school band so something such. but haven't touched the instrument these past 5 or 6 decades? I did have piano lessons as a child, and played in the high school band (Clarinet). A few years back I bought a Yamaha electric piano. I was amazed about how much came back after so many decades.

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to play piano by ear, long story. My parents sent me my piano when they sold their house. I gave it to a church. Recently, I got hubby an electric piano, as he wanted to learn, but he found it would take time even after buying a book on How to Play the Piano in Three Days.
    Uhmmmm...
    But I had some fun with it.
    Our grade school music teacher taught us the lines, spaces, scales, timing...Drilled it into us.
    I could translate sheet music but could not actually read it.
    As for learning a new hobby. I want to make fiber from nettle this fall. (Daughter says her friend explained milkweed might produce a finer fiber.) Then maybe do something with it. There are actually youtubes on this too!

Jessica Morgan and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What are you going to do with the nettle fiber after you make it, @Mary Stetler ?
    In the summer, I enjoy being outside when I can; but with this super-hot summer this year, I have to be outside really early and then stuck inside for most of the rest of the heat of the day. Sometimes, I go and get in the little swimming pool out back, or make short forays into the yard and garden; but it is just too hot (and humid) to be out there for very long.
    I have been thinking about getting my knitting back out. I usually only do that in the wintertime; but I think I might try it again this summer.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought I might get out a small loom. But not sure I can make any quantity from our property. Maybe I will make the largest nettle ball of string?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Jessica Morgan

Jessica Morgan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Same here, I can play piano/organ by ear, I have a Yamaha keyboard and marked the keys myself, I don't understand music sheets or notes but in the kids section of books in my local library I picked up some tunes and they correspond with the keys I marked (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Maybe using a scroll saw to make wood toys, puzzles, wall hangings and stuff out of scrap?

A scroll saw is much easier to use that a sewing machine and anyone of any age over 5 or 6 can use one and the only thing holding a person back from making something is the imagination and maybe the initial investment.
    The machine itself can cost anywhere from $150 new to $1,000+ also new. (Think used).
    The one thing bad about them is that they will definitely use a lot of blades because they break so easily (especially for beginners) but depending on the type of blade they cost about $10 for 40-50 of them.

YouTube is filled with tutorials, ideas and tips about scroll saw projects so I thought I’d introduce one just to whet the appetite.

Note: My dad had to go out and buy his own because his girlfriend / almost wife wouldn’t let him use hers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.