What Would You Warn People About Who Were Thinking Of Moving To Your Town?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What would you warn people about who were thinking of moving to your neighborhood, town, or city?

Von Jones likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Nothing, really. Except that the area is growing and I would prefer that they stay away.

Actually, we still have folks who shoot off loud fireworks on the 4th, shoot shotguns to ring in the new year, and like to hunt and target practice. You might encounter ag equipment on the roads as they drive from one field/farm to another. And some side roads are unpaved and kick up dust...your "Please Drive Slowly" signs are entertaining but ineffective, as is waving your arms in anger. So if those things bother you, keep on driving. I'll pay for your gas.

3. Ken Anderson

Be careful about insulting anyone, or flipping anyone off in traffic. Many of them are related, and the others went to school together.

4. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There is one western exit if a bad hurricane should come, all traffic moving west to east or vice a versa uses the same highway and there are limited gas stations that will have fuel. Go north if you feel lucky but it usually catches up to you and there are no Northern routes except through Baton Rouge toward Mississippi and guess what, the weather is usually worse there. 15 years ago traffic was stacked from Houston to Dallas and stranded due to no fuel on the route. I doubt seriously anything has improved or changed over that amount of time. I prefer to hunker down and ride it out because the water does not get that high here, only the downed trees and sheet metal all over the highway impedes traveling. When a storm finally passes the highways are covered with leaves and vegetation so it is impossible to find a road by sight. :D

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, that's a good one... "Hurricane Season." We are also hunkerers, unless it's a Class 4 and above.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Bad traffic, hot weather, hurricanes.

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Home football games. Plan to either leave town for the day or don't leave your house.

8. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lots of newcomers arrive year round where I live. I know there's more I would like them to know but this is all I think of at the moment.

Yes, the altitude is higher than you are used to. No, we can't lower it.

Yes, we have multiple trash companies. No, we don't want the city to own the trash service. It's called free market competition.

Yes, the roads get slippery when it snows. No, the city does not plow it off residential streets. Why do you think we all have 4WD?

Yes, most homeowners are armed. You should have thought about that before you marched to Defund the Police.

Those balls of ice falling from the sky? It's called hail, we get a lot of it. Yes, it can make a real mess of your car.

Sure enough, you will see fox, coyote, lynx, bear and even the occasional mountain lion, elk or moose inside the city limits. No, they won't be caged and taken away. Stop feeding them and slow down.

9. Ken Anderson

I especially like this one.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's deader than a doornail when it comes to entertainment or shopping. But it's a good place to raise a family.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Cold and dark in the winter and most summers are not hot but pleasant. Everyone has guns thus there are no riots. Everything is far away...but we don't live in a town or city.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

If you want to shop plan on a long drive to and fro. Open range means no fences,you may encounter horses,cattle,bison or deer on road.
    There is no nightlife in a small town, perfect for older people. Everyone knows everyone,so watch your mouth.:)

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

This is especially for seniors and we talked to one at local grocery store this last Sunday who has lived here for numerous years and don't like what has happened to the city...............and, yes, it's about young people! Another senior just moved here and is now reconsidering her move here, after I spoke to her. So, unless the people are Millennials or young Generation X, not recommended at all to move here!

Speeding is a major concern, being that you either go 15 mph over the speed limit or get the younger generation pissed off at you. Unfortunately, the PD here isn't big enough and/or they've been sued too many times and very seldom pull folks over for speeding or other things. We are still seeing many-to-a-lot of way outdated Registration tags on license plates.

The 9th of August, we've been here 4 years, but like how long (10 1/2 years) we lived in Jacksonville, Florida, just too long. One thing for sure, when folks get to be older seniors (in their 70's and above, it's much harder to move.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Think again, Crazy Faye lives here. :D

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, the lady that works in an office, that is next to a dock on Lake Mead (on the water), told us she is looking very forward to meeting both wife and I when we get there. She told us, "you two are hilarious and I can't wait to meet you". She is the one that rented the space at a Boat/Trailer Storage in the Park. She is from New Zealand and was in the New Zealand Air Force.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.