What's For Supper?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

After the "heavy" meal I cooked for my Honey yesterday...my stomach is in rebellion today and so nothing but cup of chicken noodle soup, crackers, and bananas for that rebellious stomach today! :D

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Company left Sunday and we've been eating leftovers since and still have a refrigerator full. Not complaining, I like leftovers.

Diane Lane and Babs Hunt like this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Since heat has hit Texas early this year, I don't do much cooking. Tonight I broiled steaks for a steak sandwich. It is just too hot to spend much time in the kitchen.

Diane Lane and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It's my World Famous Tuna Salad ---- Albacore Tuna,Mayo, celery, green pepper, red onion, black pepper, turmeric.

Mari North and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I came across a few cans of sockeye salmon, and happen to have the other ingredients needed in the house, so I'm considering making this recipe for supper.

Baked Yams with Sockeye Salmon, Sour Cream, and Chives

Variation: Add ½ teaspoon chipotle pepper sauce or ½ teaspoon ground coriander to sour cream mixture.

Makes 4 servings

2 cans (7.5 oz each) Traditional Wild Red Sockeye Salmon or 2 cans (6 oz each) skinless-boneless Wild Red Sockeye Salmon
    4 medium yams or sweet potatoes
    1 cup light sour cream
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    Sea salt and organic black pepper
    Fresh salad greens
    • Drain and chunk sockeye salmon, removing skin and bones (if any). Cover and set aside. Blend sour cream and chives in bowl; refrigerate until needed.
    • Wipe yams clean with damp paper towels. Pierce each yam with a fork. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in 400°F oven or 8 to 10 minutes in microwave, turning occasionally, until tender to the touch.
    • Slice each yam lengthwise to nearly split; spoon in ¼ cup sour cream mixture.
    • Top with Alaska salmon chunks; season to taste with salt and pepper.
    • Serve with fresh salad greens.

Nutrients per serving: 356 calories, 11 g total fat, 5 g saturated fat, 29% calories from fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 25 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 754 mg sodium, 365 mg calcium, and 1.8 g omega-3 fatty acids.

https://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/viewrecipes.asp?RecipeId=991

6. Sheldon Scott

Registered

We had BATs on toasted rye bread

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yesterday I made the cauliflower (potato) salad , using the same ingredients that I usually put in my regular potato salad. I processed the cauliflower to small chunks first, and then steamed it until fully cooked, after which I added a little bit of instant mashed potato flakes just to give it more of the creaminess of regular potato salad.
    Bobby had pickd up a couple of pork steaks at the store and he bbq'ed those on the grill for us. It made an easy and delicious meal for us, and I will definitely be making the cauliflower salad again, since it turned out so well.
    We had leftovers, and it is even tastier today ! !

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    K E Gordon, Diane Lane and Mari North like this.
  8. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm glad to hear you tried this, @Yvonne Smith ! There are a lot of hacks like that for making the normally high-cal favorites more healthy but I'm usually hesitant to try most of them... I just gave in to the cauliflower potato salad and happened to like it. :)

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Diane Lane

Registered

Is that an onion sandwich, @Ike Willis? My dad used to make them.

I was too tired to cook much last night. I finished off a package of spaghetti, and had it with a little butter, sauce, salt and pepper. I have some pork chops to cook today, so I guess I'll put off cooking the salmon until the weekend or next week.

11. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

No, it's an end of the bank account ice cube sandwich.:)

12. Diane Lane

Registered

Ha ha, thankfully I've never been quite that broke. I have plenty of jelly, so could slap some of that on some bread. If I had my druthers, I'd have a huge freezer to store food items I was able to get on deep discount. I don't like passing them by when I encounter them, but there's not much room here, so I've had to learn to be more judicious. I can remember having plenty of cheese and jelly sandwiches growing up, and also cream cheese (I like those better) and jelly sandwiches, but never ice cube sandwiches :p.

Ike Willis likes this.
  13. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

HA, my roomie was just telling me steak is on special at the local store, and he plans to get some when his check comes. It must be nice! I think I am gonna be stuck with chicken drumsticks! Well, we will see, I do have a check on the way too..so maybe I could get a small one. We never eat together because if I share food with him..he will eat 2/3 of whatever it is....leaving me with the balance...NO Thank You.

14. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Pork roast, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions, and homemade yeast rolls. The vegetables came from our garden. For dessert we had lemon meringue Greek yogurt.
    Beats the heck out of an ice cube sandwich:p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that is what I call a dinner Sheldon Scott. I am having chicken tenders, waffle fries and Buffalo cauliflower. I am looking forward to trying the cauliflower since I have never had it with the Buffalo sauce before. I think it will be something different and tasty. Yes, no ice cube sandwich! I say Pass! However when it comes to drinks I will imbibe.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Sheldon Scott likes this.