What's The Appropriate Reaction?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This thread can be used to house other questions later but the one that I want to start out with is this. Let me set it up for you first, so that it makes sense.

Following shoulder surgery, my wife spent about a month sleeping on the reclining sofa. During that time, I brought my MacBook into the bedroom so that I could listen to podcasts and stuff during the night. Thus, my charger and charging cord was plugged into the outlet in the bedroom, which is on the side of the bed that my wife sleeps, since I don't have an outlet nearby on my side.

During the day, when I used my MacBook, I wouldn't take the charger and cord with me because it will hold a charge for ten hours or more. I would leave it in the bedroom because that was the only place where I charged it.

After my wife began sleeping in the bedroom again, she complained about the MacBook because she had her iPad on that stand, although there was plenty of room for both of them. I took the MacBook downstairs the next day because I was going to use it in the library, while I sat with Ella. There was no need to plug it in because it had a full charge.

Several days go by during which I have not used the MacBook because I generally use the iMac. Then, a few days ago, I was going to cover for Michelle and her partner at their recovery center, which I do from time to time. Not knowing how long it was going to be before they returned, I went upstairs to get my charger and charger cord in case the MacBook needed to be charged.

They weren't there. She had her iMac cord plugged in where my MacBook cord had been, although there are several outlets on the same line. I asked her where she had put the charger and she denied having touched it.

"It's probably with your MacBook," she suggested.

"No, I don't take the charger with me when I use the MacBook. It will hold a charge for hours."

This went on for a while, and she got the idea that I was accusing her of taking my charger and cord, because, well, I suppose I was. When I brought up something else that hasn't been seen since she last rearranged the living room, she got angrier than seemed reasonable to me.

I told her that I know she didn't throw it away or deliberately make it disappear but that she had probably moved it because it was in the way, forgot where she had put it, and then forgot that she had moved it at all.

That seemed reasonable to me, but she disagreed, and she disagreed strongly. I let it rest and ordered another charger and cord from Apple, which cost just short of a hundred bucks, which was annoying because I knew that I had a perfectly good charger and cord somewhere in the house. Of course, I had looked everywhere that I could think of, even in places that I knew it wouldn't be; even downstairs, although I knew that I hadn't taken it downstairs.

My new charger and cord came today. Since I had taken my MacBook downstairs, I decided to charge it. I set the MacBook up on my portable desk which, until I build a table for an office in the library, has been in the way next to my coffeemaker. I went to plug the charger into the outlet that the coffeemaker is plugged into, but there wasn't room. My old MacBook charger was plugged in there. The one I had been looking for.

So I'm confused. I am pretty sure that I had looked there, and since I make a couple of pots of coffee a day, I am having trouble understanding how I could have missed seeing it, as the outlets are not floor outlets - they are at eye level. MacBook Pro chargers are not tiny. They take up the space of a couple of outlets.

Did Michelle come across it upstairs, where she had put it and, not wanting to admit that, snuck it downstairs and plugged it in near my coffeemaker, hoping that I would believe that it had been there all along? Or was it there all along? Did I put it there, and somehow missed seeing it while I was searching the house for it?

I don't know because now that I found it, I am thinking of sneaking it upstairs and hiding it somewhere in the bedroom where she will come across it and think she had put it there. If we hadn't fought over it, it would have been easy.

If I admit that I found it where I found it, it will probably bring the argument back to light again. No one has mentioned it in days, and we've kind of gotten past that.

So the questions are these...
    • No one is fighting over it anymore so do I just put it away as a spare, and say nothing?
    • Do I admit that I had found it and open myself up to continued anger over having accused her unfairly?
    • Do I hide it somewhere upstairs so that she will find it somewhere and think she might have put it there?
    Okay, I've pretty much ruled the third option out, although that would be the most fun. I'm leaning toward saying nothing unless it comes up again rather than dredging an old argument up again, although if I had accused her wrongly, admitting it would be the right thing to do.

Of course, there is also the chance that she'll come across this thread at some point.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Good excuse: The Mandela Effect.

There are two rules of thumb that come to mind when a married couple have been arguing.
    Rule #1. Sometimes it’s better to forfeit the game lest it go into undesirable extra innings.
    Rule #2. When a husband doesn’t forfeit the game the chances are that the wife will remember that game (and others) then very conveniently, when he least expects it, she will remind said husband of every error and strike out he has ever committed whilst on the face of this earth.

To change one particular proverb, Tis better to sleep on the roof top than to try to sleep with a ticked wife.

Suck it up, give her a kiss, say the words and live happy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Doesn't Michelle read the forum occasionally? I see this ending badly for you. :D:D

On the upside, you now have two chargers to use in different areas of the house.

4. Ken Anderson

Yeah, I figure one in my travel case so that I don't have to remember to pack it, and so that I can leave the other one in place.

Especially if I chose option number 3.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, if this occurred at my house, I’d let it go. unfortunate it cost another one hundred bucks
    but now you have one for upstairs and one fo down stairs. Or you have a backup. Sometime
    arguments can carry over into the future and who knows what will bring them up again.
    Divorces have been brought about for a lesser offense although not likely in your case. Some
    time hard feelings are hard to get over.

Trevalius Guyus and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If it were me who lost the item, I would probably have decided that I had actually left it there, wherever it was found, and for whatever reason, it was just “gone invisible” when I was looking for it.
    Bobby and I both have that kind of thing happen every now and then, and when we do find it, it was usually either where it was supposed to be, or in some spot that I put it and didn’t remember until I found it in that spot.
    The next thing is to run happily up to Bobby and tell him that I found my lost (whatever), and how happy I am , and that I am sure that it was me who put it there.
    Or, Bobby finds it for me, and tells me where it was, and I give him a big hug for finding it for me.
    That is what Bobby always does, too; so it is more like a treasure hunt for us, to see who can find the lost item first.
    Sometimes, it is a given that you will never, ever find the first lost item until you have purchased a replacement.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I'd fess up.

In the long run you won't have to carry it around, and it will make you look honest...because you are, albeit reluctantly. The possible short-term hit will be worth the definite long-term benefit, once the dust settles.

But pick the right time. Timing is everything.

Then delete this thread.
    The secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Good luck, Jim.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, don't leave us hanging. Did you 'fess up or are you shady? :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

So far, I'm letting it ride. If the moment presents itself, I'll do it. I might begin with something like, "You know that it's not good to dwell on things that happened in the past, right?"

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

After re-reading the OP, I notice one glaring omission from the "list of possible responses." How about admitting that you found it and sheepishly apologizing? That would probably defuse the possibility of continued anger. Maybe. :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Oh, of course, there would be an apology but then, I haven't ruled out the possibility that she chose her own version of option 3, and put it there.

12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I think this whole thread should be in the conspiracy section istockphoto-161764795-612x612.jpg

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Advice is something that once given, the giver never suffers the consequences when said advice is wrong.

That said, what’s the hubbub? Even if Michelle put it there, so what? You found it and as a matter of fact, now you have two of them. Happy, happy. Joy Joy.
    Give her a kiss, say thank you for being my friend and go about your business and stash your new charger where even the cats can’t find it.
    Next time, you just get out the new one, don’t say a word and sometime or other you’ll find the old one and then you can stash that one.

Now, if both of them suddenly disappear, then either the cats or Michelle needs you to spend a little more time with them or her than on the computer.
    Playing kissy face is sooooo much more fun than arguing.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

8A98998E-D745-4F26-9D1A-8A9088927491.gif

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Gadzooks!! That’s it!! Michelle deliberately put your cord away so you guys could argue and then take a couple of hours to make up!!
    She’s brilliant. Sorry Ken but ya just didn’t take the hint.