What's Your Take On The Facebook - Big Tobacco Controversy?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I use Facebook daily but I don't know the details about the current controversy. Something about both companies targeting juviniles. I don't know any juviniles using Facebook

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You made me go look. Everyone seems to be trying to out-hyperbole[ing] each other.

I really loathe the childish expressions of "Big Tobacco," "Big Pharma," etc. when the main one needing fixing is "Big Government." That is a "Big Deal."

Lon Tanner, Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Amen brother!

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I listened to most of the hearing. A lot of it was about the computer algorithms used to target Facebook/Instagram users with more websites containing the same kinds of subjects they have viewed in the past. And how easy it is to share misinformation with others, just by a simple click. The sharing builds exponentially to amount to millions of visits to some websites. Sort of like how chain letters work.

More Visitors = More $$$.

Just by clicking on a few conspiracy websites and videos, I get "advertisements" about similar information popping up as suggested viewing on YouTube. I know what's going on, but I can see how kids can become easily addicted.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021