When Does Human Life Begin

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Joy Martin, May 19, 2022.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A ray of light in a world over-full of darkness.

Good.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of those quotes say something similar to this... “The government’s own definition attests to the fact that life begins at fertilization. According to the National Institutes of Health, ‘fertilization’ is the process of union of two gametes (i.e., ovum and sperm) ‘whereby the somatic chromosome number is restored and the development of a new individual is initiated.'”

The phrase "development is initiated" is a far cry from "life begins." Maybe men should be charged with a felony for masturbation.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Ummm, yeah, masturbation in a girl/woman's body..

5. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Men and women can try for decades to 'create', or rather 'pro-create' a human life, right ?
    Only the Creator Himself gives life. He is right.
    When He Creates Human Life, knowing perfectly it is or will be a man or a woman who can live eternally , woe to anyone who takes the life.

6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Hell is going to be a busy place.

The Church started killing unbelievers as early as the 4th century. The killing (often with torture) of heretics, church splinter groups, dissenters, atheists, agnostics, deists, pagans, infidels and unbelievers was supported by almost all mainstream Christian theology for over a thousand years, starting with the intolerant St. Augustine (died 430 AD).

The Crusades (mainly 1095-1272)
    Rudolph J. Rummel estimates the Crusades killed 1 million innocent civilian men, women and children (not in combat).

The genocide of the Cathars (1209-1229)
    In 1209, Pope Innocent III called for a crusade to exterminate the Cathar people of France (the Albigensians), simply because they had different superstitious beliefs to his own beliefs. Men, women and children were butchered by the Pope's forces.

7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

8. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

Many people and religions believe a soul incarnates into a body and has the opportunity for the Earth experience regardless of what man does. If one fetus is about to be aborted, the soul simply moves on to another fetus that is more opportune and may offer a better life.

Unwanted babies live tragic lives and it’s better for every child to be a wanted child. God, or Nature, or whatever one calls the supreme force in the universe, aborts thousands of fetuses each year from women who want a baby and want to carry the fetus to full term. These are called miscarriages. Many of us believe this doesn’t deprive any souls of the Earth experience, it just means the soul moved on to a more opportune fetus.

9. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, my unpopular opinion is that whole argument is pointless. One can create definitions to suit every purpose but looking at what’s actually going on… A sperm is alive. The egg is alive. At no point is there life coming from non-life. Not only are the sperm and egg alive, they are human, and not only human but uniquely so, carrying every uniquely identifying characteristic of their host. So it serves no purpose to talk about when life begins because it is a continuum, extending far back in time.

The question is a botched version of what should be asked which is, when do we extend to this human tissue the rights and protections of personhood under the law.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Rose Flowers

Rose Flowers Well-Known Member
    Registered

No person has the right to use a woman's body for 9 months against her will. If it comes to that, then the father should have to donate his body to carry the baby around for 9 months and provide everything it needs from clean diapers to midnight bottles to pediatric visits.

11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, like I said, that’s the question that should be under discussion, IMO.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Normally , I would not respond to this subject, but what the heck..
    For me I think life begins when the heart begins to beat. I have had some very close family and friends who in the past have had abortions. I think it takes extreme circumstances, and much thought in order to have a possible life terminated. I have never been judgmental on the subject,- other than, abortion is Not a form of birth control ! When I worked in the public and the Plan B pill came out, 2 teenagers came in to buy. I never said a word or showed any judgment toward them. But when one- the male came in again
    way to soon to need, and asked for another- I lit into him a bit. This is not a form of BC bud. You need to get yourself in order and pronto. Do not come back in here to buy another one !
    Snickering or shy teens buy condoms- hey if your going to do a grown up thing, then act like it. At least your trying to take responsibility for your life and that of a child you have no business of having.

Beth Gallagher likes this.