When Were You Last In A Bookstore?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by K E Gordon, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I always love looking through all of the used books at thrift stores, and also in used bookstores when we had something like that. Now, it is harder for me to read printed books, and the kindle versions have adjustable sized print; so I just look for books that i can read on the Kindle.

Because I moved a lot, having boxes of books (HEAVY !) was also a bad thing, and sometimes, I just had to pick out my favorites and take those along. I had a lot of the old health books, and wish that I still had the ones by Gaylord Hauser, and some of the other well-known health experts of the years gone by. Now, they are way too expensive, if you can even find them.
    I had several boxes of Arabian Horse World, with all of the grand champions from back in the 1970’s, and eventually, all those got left behind, too.

I still have books, and love to look when I go to the thrift store, but try to restrain myself. I have Kindle Unlimited, and that is my “splurge” for myself, and I do enjoy it because I read a lot every day.

2. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't been in a book store for years neither. I use to like going to bookstores. I went a couple times a week. I would also go to my local library. But since I bought a eReader long ago, it is so convenient to just download a book from the library or amazon. I also have Amazon's kindle unlimited. I only buy an eBook of an author I like a lot. I check the library first to see if they have it. If so, I might have to be on hold for the book for 6-8 months but that's ok. There's other books to read in between. :) The eBooks have gotten so darn expensive since the $3.99 days.

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Just before Christmas. I went into Barnes & Noble to get a Sudoku book for the Spousal Equivalent. They had one that was supposed to set your brain on fire. I bought it. So far I haven't seen any smoke but I have the fire extinguisher handy.

Jake Smith likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It was closed! There is a wonderful used bookstore in the MKE airport. I go there if I have to pick someone up. But my daughter was taking a red-eye this time.

Jake Smith likes this.
  5. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

About 20 years ago, Barnes and Noble, bought some repair books on carpentry and mechanical books. I have a lot of books my mother sent me over the years before she passed. I read a bunch of them, but the only thing is when I start I always want to keep reading until the end, and that can slow your working projects up to much. It's addicting. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Krystal Shay like this.
  6. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Barnes & Noble, I can spend hours there, my favorite book store, but have not been
    in 10 years, because the store had to relocate at that time.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don’t do books any more, though I still have quite a few photo books. I don’t know if it’s the paper or the ink but too many books were setting my lungs off; took me a while to make the association. News print is the absolute worst, react almost immediately to that. I have iBooks and the Kindle app on my iPad so I have read some things that way. I finish books too quickly though so it could get too expensive. My wife reads on her iPad but has a huge library of books she bought on line over the years so she ends up rereading a lot of them. She was an early adopter because of her eye problems. She can adjust font size on the tablet, makes it much easier.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Been about 4 years since I've been in a bookstore.