Which Is Best For Building Consensus Between People - Religion Or Science?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmm. I see where I might have gone astray. I like to jump in and make an ass of myself right off the bat.

Dwight Ward and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No Beth, not at all! There are many roads which split at some point and later come to the same destination. It’s all in the journey and if looked upon properly, it’s a gas!!

Dwight Ward and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe Science--It's Not likely that different scientists will disagree on The Theory of Relativity

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

You left out politics, Lon. :) I doubt if there will ever be consensus on any of them.

Al Amoling likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Science IS politics.

6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Agreement of what?
    If we’re talking about scientists agreeing with scientists then which specialty in science are we talking about. When it comes to religion, which sect or cult, or denomination are we talking about.
    And how would we go about trying to find out the answer should you have a definitive query that can be dissected and the figures extrapolated to form a factual analysis?

And, how is it that you are making science and religion mutually exclusive? Science and religion are so well interwoven that trying to break them apart for analysis is nearly impossible.

Oh and the THEORY thing. Do please look up how many physicists have challenged it and how many times and in what manner it has been disproven. Physicists fighting among each other is an ugly sight.

Now, should you ask what makes people agree with each other faster than anything else? Give them all money and most will agree with just about everything you say whether it’s true or not.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Joseph Carl likes this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Registered

Let's not make a mountain out of a molehole Bobby. My OP was a pretty straight forward question.
    Consensus building is a process involving a good-faith effort to meet the interests of all stakeholders and seek a unanimous agreement.

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I know the meaning of “consensus”.
    The query still lacks information in order to bring about a factual statement.
    To use your own words, the way it is worded is confusing and nonsensical.

9. Lon Tanner

Registered

It's not confusing at all, but you are trying to make it confusing. It's Science vs. Religion and any subjects within their scope. CLEAR???

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Science

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm thinking science as well. Though there are plenty of variables so who knows.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now you’re coming out with the truth Lon, You wish to pit science against religion but you still haven’t established any parameters.

If you are alluding to the creationism versus evolutionism debacle then the science falls into one or two specific categories whereas creationists are only locked into one and let’s face the facts, there are many creationists who are scientists and many science based evolutionists who practice Atheism which again, is a religion.

Then there’s political science whereby those practicing politics have the whole world in an uproar and how about those medical scientists and Covid-19? Not much controversy there is there?
    How about those environmentalists? Some say we’re going to die off in a few years and others say the hype is felonious. I don’t see many religious leaders getting in on that debacle.

Establish the parameters and then maybe you’ll get a good, factual answer Lon. Round housing science and religion isn’t like pitting the red team against the blue team.

13. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Some do.
    More important, during times of peace, then going to time of war, different authorities got power, and totally changed things.

Scientists either on purpose or directed by others controlling them, changed from pursuing facts in truth, to political desires instead.

Why? < shrugs > Greed? Desire to not be killed ? To not be imprisoned ? Even just not to lose their job ?

So then, the scientists who had been investigating scientifically, in fact, in truth, were dismissed, and scientists who would go along with the new regime during war time replaced them. And that is why people are so confused, or deceived, today. (by scientists and politicians)

https://wissenschafftplus.de/uploads/article/Dismantling-the-Virus-Theory.pdf

(None of scientists proved scientifically that a virus caused problems. Instead, they faked or falsified the tests and/or the test results....)

The honest scientists are silenced, censored, and have at times 'disappeared'....

They are not in consensus with the politically correct scientists. Totally opposing viewpoints.

Mary Miller likes this.
  14. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You are good at provoking interesting discussions Lon, and I compliment you on that.

Bobby makes a valid point that a worthwhile answer to your question requires some interpretive assumptions - in my case, your use of the word "best." Your question sounds simple but is rather complex once you ponder it awhile. Here's my take, assuming that consensus means agreement.

Good science definitely yields more consensus than religion because it's readily accepted as truth - such as the existence of gravity or other scientific laws of nature that are proven with complete certainty. I would expect that over 99% of mentally competent people in the world believe in gravity, whereas we could never get such consensus with any religion.

Science is a messy, evolving process though that often entails many failed theories, new discoveries, and revised conclusions before any confidence level of a scientific law or principle is established. A bit of research will show that false scientific theories have been universally accepted by scientists and society throughout history so pervasively that bad science beliefs probably outnumber good ones. Our internet age has only exasperated this learning situation. Any idea, rumor, or bad theory can now be readily promoted to the masses, and people tend to believe what they read - if they like it.

Now, to answer your question: the "best" way to build consensus among people is to pursue truth, and that entails both science and religion. Since God created the universe, he established the laws of science that control the universe - the laws we discover. Thus, true/good religion will always agree with true/good science. The problem today is that we've got a lot of false/bad religion and false/bad science confusing everyone from the truth. The sad result is that today's bad science and false religious beliefs are dominating over God's truth.

The biggest example I see of this assessment is the Darwinian theory of evolution and long ages. The majority of the world accepts this view - even though a majority also try to inject God or some supernatural creator into the process (which is an irrational contradiction). In any case, (bad) science has won a consensus here over (good, Biblical) religion. People are fools though, and truth will ultimately be revealed.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  15. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, and as Corrie ten Boom , survivor known world wide, from the holocaust, after which she visited over 60 countries and spoke simply The Creator's Message to millions,
    said, also in an open letter now, on the internet,
    the world is doomed.

Once before it was doomed also. Interesting to realize that the world full of people who died did not once think evilution was ever true - the thought never even entered their minds, even though they were completely ungodly and all but 8 people perished.
    Thus, not good odds for anyone on earth, statistically speaking. Nor scientifically nor religiously speaking.
    See, science, religion, politicians, politics, education, scholarship, pd, phds, bs's, no degree nor level of education can ever save anyone. All except those who got on the ARK perished, and
    all except those who believe perish. In fact, many are already condemned for their unbelief.

But, then , what is anyone to do to find the truth ? They were not taught truth by parents, schools, churches, colleges, scientists, scholars, priests, pastors, sunday school teachers, tech schools, financial schools or institutions, social groups, basically any group of the world that is accepted or acceptable to the world society does not tell nor teach the truth.

Or in other words, if someone does not want to perish with the world and all the people around them,
    if they want to "find the ARK", the only way to not perish,
    where can they even begin to look ? ? ! Almost all, maybe all, of their resources have been leading to destruction ....