Which Is More Important To You - Faith Or Logic?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Tough Question because sometimes one denies the other. For me I believe logic to be more important.

Monica Rich likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose it depends upon the situation.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Why would I have to choose? Faith is logical.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

Do you think they will ultimately find life on Mars with the next probe?

5. Lon Tanner

Registered

Why is faith logical?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Because my faith is based on that which seems logical to me.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Maybe some microscopic amoebas or something. Who knows.

8. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have to weigh in on this one.

I came out years ago as a non-proselytizing atheist, meaning that I have respect for believers. I might add that I see no separation between science and religion.

Years ago I stumbled on to the writings of the German theologian Paul Tillich, who left Germany during the Hitler era. His message, as I interpret it, is that if you claim to be faithful, you damned well better see it as logical. If you can't do that, then the faith doesn't do you much good. His book of sermons, “The Eternal Now,” is available as etext:

https://mercaba.org/SANLUIS/Filosofia/autores/Contempor%C3%A1nea/Tillich/The%20eternal%20now.pdf

As a starter I'd suggest ch. 14: “In Thinking be Mature.”

A few centuries back the French philosopher Blaise Pascal suggested something like “If you're not sure about the existence of God, you better go through the motions so as not to be condemned to Hell if He does exist. According to Tillich, that wouldn't cut it.

Beth Gallagher and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I have always assumed that to be the case, for if an all-knowing God knows what is in your heart, "pretending" to believe is a waste of time.

As an agnostic, I try to respect both Theists and Atheists. It is not up to me to judge anyone's beliefs or to denigrate them for it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know, logic or maybe a little of both. I don't think we will ever find life anywhere ourt in space
    and I kope we never get to mar nort spend too much money trying.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

12. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My son brings 'reason' up a lot the last year or so. He relies on "reason" (and 'logic' with it?) to find the truth - and he did find the lies behind all the covid early on - nothing about covid should ever be believed nor trusted , ever. (whether by faith or by logic - either one).

When his reason is not in line with faith, I ask him who told him that ? What is the source of info for reason ?

There is a world full of things to substantiate 'reason' in many fields, so in each case and over all , what is the source of the info ?

Compare to faith: the source is the Creator. (The Almighty, The One Who Created All Life and the Universe)

So,
    if logic ever contradicts faith, what do you think happened ?

Oh,btw, I know it is 'stepping on toes' and did not say anything in previous days,
    but for this discussion to make any sense at all, it must be recognized that
    the 'faith' of religious family members is often based on reason and on false facts, not from the Creator.
    Don't let that false misleading faith be confused with the true faith from and in and of the Creator. The difference is life and death, eternal life vs destruction.

13. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I may be wrong, but it seems to be that that the comments here reveal trouble about finding the comfort that should come with religious faith. Maybe the question: "What is the purpose of life? Is it to add something good while being alive, or to secure something good in the afterlife?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

If you rely on logic, your logic could be faulty making you wrong. Just because our species learned to walk upright, doesn't mean we know all there is to know. I'm open to both faith and logic.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Why are the two treated as exclusive when one begets the other based on whatever information a person has acquired?
    Some of the explorers of old believed the earth to be flat and if they traveled far enough they would drop off the edge.
    They looked and the earth looked flat so by reason, they had confidence or “faith” that the earth was flat.
    As more information was brought to light, logic through that information established that the earth is spherical and most have faith that the information is correct. I write, “most” because there are people who, with the information they have on hand, logically still believe the earth to be flat and have faith in that reasoning.

Logic is nothing more than the sum of the amount of information one has been given.
    Faith is in two parts. Confidence that the information or facts one has been given is correct and faith that the sum is indeed the correct culmination of those facts.

Asking which is more important is like asking if the more important feature of marriage is the man or the woman. We can treat each as being exclusive if we wish but the bottom line is that a marriage is incomplete without both.