Which Movies Apps Do You Like ?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

More and more people are watching movies online and it seems like there are new apps coming out for mobile devices and tablets all of the time.
    Most of these have a monthly fee, and a few of them are totally free.

The main one that people use is probably Netflix, and it is our favorite one.
    For only $8 a month, there are a lot of choices, and they are always adding new content. I think that it is about $15 for the deluxe version , which also provides DVD films mailed to you to watch, as well as the ones you can stream online.
    There are more available to have mailed than to stream; but even with just streaming, there is an awesome selection, and you can't go wrong with something that only costs $8 for a whole month of movies.

Probably the next favorite is Amazon Movies, which is free when you have an amazon Prime account, and actually comes out to about the same yearly cost as Netflix does.
    This movie service has both free movies, and one that you can rent or buy; so Amazon actually may have a lot better selection of movies to choose from, if you count in the rental movies.

Hulu+ is very similar to Netflix, and is also cheap at $8 per month. It has a slightly different lineup than Netflix has, so you can sometimes find content on there that is not on Netflix; but the offset to that is that Hulu+ has commercials in some of the programs, making it almost like watching regular TV.

Crackle is one of the better known free movie apps; but the selection is nowhere nearly as large or diverse as either of the paid ones listed above. We have the app; but very seldom watch anything on Crackle. maybe it is just not the right kinds of shows for us.

There are several others that have free movies or television shows, most of them I have never even heard of. I am adding a list that I found that shows several of them.
    Which movie/tv apps does everyone else use, and do you watch them on a tablet, laptop, or have them on your television with a tv box like Apple TV ?

http://freebies.about.com/od/freemovies/tp/free-movie-apps.htm

Lara Moss likes this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I use Amazon and Netflix but also the Lovefilm (Amazon) DVD postal service and rip the DVDs, convert to MP4 and watch them at leisure on my devices using my favorite player MX http://is.gd/8WuUkr

Being in the UK I also use the free BBC iPlayer app, which enables you to watch all the BBC programmes and movies broadcast over the previous 2 to 4 weeks, you can download most of them and watch offline, but they self destruct after 28 days.
    I agree our viewing habits are changing dramatically and I guess the DVD may be the next casualty, as streaming becomes the norm.
    I don't have a TV set so watch everything on a tablet or a laptop.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for some of those I don't already have.

Fandor is another good movie site, but it's 10.00 per month. It has a lot of classics and foriegn films.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I work from home and stream movies and series while I am working, usually at least ten hours a day, no one service can keep me happy all by itself. I use Roku and while I subscribe to several free channels that I seldom watch, the ones that do get used are as follows, sorted in order, beginning with the ones I use most often:
    • Netflix. I stream Netflix and also have the 3 DVD option, so Netflix accounts for probably about eighty percent of my viewing.
    • Hulu Plus, with the Showtime paid option. Hulu Plus has a larger selection television series than Netflix does and usually has them earlier, so when I am binge watching a series, I sometimes use Hulu Plus. Even then, I most often use Netflix, however. I find it to be far more difficult to find what I am looking for on Hulu than I do on Netflix.
    • Amazon Prime. When they first began offering streaming to Prime customers, I watched a lot of it but they rarely add anything new so now I just check it every now and then.
    • Pure Flix. There is a very small monthly charge but Pure Flix has some good family friendly movies, documentaries on television series. They don't add new stuff often, however.
    • Crackle. As @Yvonne Smith mentions, they don't have a very large selection so I've seen most of what they have months ago.
    • Other free channels. There are a lot of free channels that carry mostly very old, often black and white, movies and television series. When I am in the mood for nostalgia, these can be a good choice.
    • Even with these, I sometimes pay to rent a movie from Amazon.com or Google Play.

5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anyone tried Tubi? It's free and it's pretty good.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have netflix and Amazon video and I watch them on my ipad.

I also have a dropbox where I watch movies that Terry puts in their for me....he has quite a collection, probably the best!

Ive never heard of Tubi, Ruby...will look at that now.