Which Was Your Best Age To Be In And Why?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Paynter, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Was there any time in your life you loved the most.
    I enjoyed my childhood years, free from most worries, except the part when I had to wake up each morning and head off to school.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The evening I met with my wife at a local Denny's for the first time. She had answered a personal ad, that I had placed, and we decided to meet at the Denny's. That was 21 years ago and our marriage has been wonderful since. It took me 21 years of being single/divorced to find her and I finally did. She looked absolutely super in her Roper brand jeans, beautiful western top and wearing a straw cowboy hat.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  3. Susan Paynter

Registered

Glad it turned out well for you. When I look back 21 years, I think my troubles may have started just then.!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Susan Paynter

As a young adult, just out of high school, I was basically a social drop-out. I lacked the physical attributes of height, being "pretty" to the girls, and was turned down requesting dates. My guy friends, however, basically helpless when it came to their cars, loved how I could make them run. So we hung out together, playing lots of softball and racing cars.

Until a new family moved in a few doors away from Germany. They had a daughter! 15 years old, and already an accomplished, licensed Beautician (Cosmetologist), spoke no English, and I managed a bit of German, spurred on by a year of that language in school, and given incentive to help her with English.

She was gorgeous, Polish, tall, statuesque but skinny where it added most emphasis. Her waist measured 23 inches! The family knew a young Pole Dentist, single, and very much wanted her to date him. She believed him to be only after "one thing", so declined. Not that I was not, of course, but being shy and backward, it just took a bit longer. Soon enough, we were spending so much of each other's spare time together that her mother thought we should get married. After two years we felt "married", so decided to do it! A small stumbling block entered which required a non-Catholic marrying a Catholic to sign a paper guaranteeing children produced would be raised Catholic. I could not in good faith put my name to a lie which I fully such decree would have been. The compromise was marriage in a Lutheran Church. This was in July, 1965. Today, I know of only 3 people who attended the ceremony who are still living: my new wife, our Best Man Charlie, and myself.

Did I mention that her name was Zuzanna? Translated to Susanne, everyday use Susan!

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It had to be my 20s for me. I did not go to college out of high school, family life had been less than perfect, I was out on my own so got a little distance, just got a job I loved installing security systems, which led me to taking night classes at community college. I felt as though I had direction, and was making up for those lost years of being disengaged in high school. Perhaps that path was meant to be, as I was astonished at how many of my classmates were on the same work/school track I was, yet were less interested in getting something from it and more interested in just skating by. I could not understand giving up all that free time just to do the minimum...I had slacked off during my teen years, but not at that age. I guess my prior malaise made me hungry to do well. In many ways I continue to retain my hunger for knowledge because of those wasted years in high school.

I was not real athletic in high school (played a little tennis) but found my sport in racquetball at that time. I also got into bike riding to the point I would commute to work (12 miles each way), sometimes biking to play racquetball at 6AM, getting breakfast afterwards, biking the rest of the way in to work, then biking home again in the afternoon. I joined a bike club and went on short trips and on long weekend trips. I was pretty slight, so those were both good sports for me. And all that cardio was good for my head.

The job I had at the time got me into a decent career path (purchasing & inventory management) that carried me for 2 decades and then transitioned into computer & analysis work. It was a great opportunity for a guy who only had a high school diploma at the time, and I took full advantage, doing work-related research at the library on the occasional Saturday and getting processional certifications. Everything seemed so new.

Frank Sanoica and Susan Paynter like this.
  6. Susan Paynter

Registered

7. Susan Paynter

Registered

@John Brunner

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!!:)

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have had a great life and don't think there was any BEST AGE.

Hoot Crawford and Susan Paynter like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My best age was in my 50's and 60's.

The 3-1/2 years between my first and present wife were a continuous blast!

I'm enjoying my 80's, but not as much, due to my emerging physical annoyance of Arthritis.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

40-49 any year in my forties. I have never wished to be 16 again. If I could be any age it would be in my forties.
    :);):p:D

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I sure can relate to the Arthritis.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Interesting.

The wisdom of years and sufficient energy to enjoy it briefly intersect.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree; I would say my 40's as well.

Hedi Mitchell and Susan Paynter like this.
  14. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

From 35 to 55.
    I raised my 2 great daughters, saw them graduate from h.s., then off to college, marry, then one to grad school, and then to visit them, and see my grand kids born.

Susan Paynter and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Being in my twenties a time of self discovery for me about me. Being a single parent, returning to college after 11 years to complete my last year, a time of setting goals to better myself and for my family. A very challenging time of those 'firsts.' A lot of personal growth.