Who Here Wrote A Book?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Marie Mallery, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Wonder how many people think of writing a book but never do?
    I was going to write one but then realized no\body would believe it. I even put some of it to paper about 20 years ago.
    No longer interested or time wise able.
    But I do like to read or listen to a good book.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I wrote several books and articles many years ago and my opinion is writing for money is an exercise in futility. Publishers tell you what they want based on making money. The only writing I do now is on SOC and a ranching forum for free. I have been asked many times to write a book about my life, but so far no one is stepping up with the funds for my time and frustration plus all fees for publishing and promoting plus royalties at a high percentage. My base fee is $500K or you can read my story in pieces for free here on SOC. :D

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife has written two small Pray Books. One for missionaries and the other for our military. We cut the pages to fit a small book, bond the book together with heavy-duty glue and have sold a couple. She will sometimes include pictures that I've taken. She gave one Prayer Book, concerning the military, to a young lady where my wife use to work. After a couple of weeks, the young lady seen her and said "I sure wish I would've had your book when I was in the Marines".

She started another one for Fireman, but stopped after we moved here and she got her "at home" job.

We have both wrote an Autobiography of ourselves, online, to go with our Cremation Services. It's a very popular Cremation Service that has a website and area for members to do an Autobiography.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I bet that would have been a good one. I just saw this post. :oops:

5. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I struggled for a year to finish a book about how to see and interpret reality independent of popular sentiment. I was in my twenties and generally dissatisfied with all that I was. I gave it a month and read what I had written. I thought it pompous and predictable. I drove out to a bridge over the Grande Ronde River outside La Grande, Oregon and threw the two inch stack of paper in. C'est la vie.

As an after thought, some of my short stories were not bad but I never submitted any for publication.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  6. Don Harper

Don Harper Member
    Registered

I used to love to write. I had a notebook where I wrote down my thoughts. These were not stories or novels, but rather philosophical thoughts that I had under the influence of any events in my life. Sometimes I reread it and I like it.

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

You have a cremation service? That sounds interesting. Something we have been looking into.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are with Neptune Society and pay monthly for their service. They will pick up the body, cremate it, fly it to anywhere in the U.S. for burial. They have an online website to have an autobiography done. They will send the person a very nice looking Cremation Box for the ashes. We have already paid the cemetery for our spots where the boxes will be put.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Tom Ellerton

Tom Ellerton Member
    Registered

I wrote 2. One published in 2003 in print. A novel. The other in 1996 academic

Von Jones likes this.
  10. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I wrote a supplemental Calculus text decades ago that made some money, but not enough to compensate for (1) the sheer drudgery of the effort and (2) the 'payola' necessary back then to have it accepted in the educational community.

Edit Note: I remember being told it sold well in Mexico and Spain and noting that neither country became a major power in mathematics. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I did read a book once. Does that count?

Yvonne Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all-

I have written a few books- mostly about outdoor living and rural life on small farms. Books which are not big best-sellers are sort of like raising children. There's a whole lot of work involved, a lot of effort, and usually there's no monetary reward to come from it. However, there is self-satisfaction in abundance. you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Von Jones and Mary Stetler like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Those who live on small farms probably think you are wonderful.;)

14. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-

Well, Mary, if they do, I wish they'd buy more copies of the book.

good night to all- Ed

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Contributing members of the forum (those who participate in discussions here), who have written books, should feel free to post a link to where their book can be purchased.

Von Jones likes this.