Who Remembers Hypercolor Shirts?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

These are not actually old, per se; but they were an instant fad back in the early 1990's. My daughter worked at the Generra company near Seattle, and they made hypercolor t-shirts. Sometimes, they had defects, or extras, and as an employee, she could get them very cheap.
    She was always bringing me some new hypercolor shirts, and I was just crazy about those shirts ! ! I had short sleeved ones, and long sleeved ones, and all sorts of awesome colors.
    I loved watching the hypercolor change colors, and they would change to colors that were not even close to the original colors.
    Purple ones which turned bright yellow or orange when you touched them, pink ones that turned blue, you name it.
    Who else remembers hypercolor shirts ?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't remember this ever happening here on the islands. I remember tie die was a craze back in the 70's and is still bought and found on web too. I like to shop at thrift shops so who knows what might pop up at the thrifts shops? :)

K E Gordon and Sheldon Scott like this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, I always liked those clothes that changed color. I think the fabric technology was fun. Some of the ones I know of are the clothes that change color in the sun. It would be fun to watch them change color throughout the day. I like all that kind of thinking including the cans that change color with the temperature. It is a conversation piece and something that people notice. I also like tye dye clothing. I find that attractive but not as unique as the hypercolor garments.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't remember that hypercolor shirt. Maybe it did not reach our shores in my younger days or perhaps I was born later, hahahaaah. But maybe our counterpart is the tie-dyed shirt. Did you have that? It was the fashion for teenagers during my high school day. My classmates and I would go to one house and make tie-dying for an after-class activity. But usually, we use old shirts for tie-dyeing so as not to raise an issue at home. You know parents, dyeing a new white shirt is not a good idea. And we were proud of our products. We called it art.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Actually, hypercolor came along way after tie-dye did, @Corie Henson . It was out in the 1990's; so you should have been born long before it came out.
    We naturally had tie-dye clothes back in the Hippie Era, also; but hypercolor was a totally different thing. The dye process was what make the hypercolor happen.
    I think that they used two different dyes, and one color was heat-sensitive. So, the shirt would be all one color , like blue, when you put it on.
    Then, as your skin warmed it up, the color would start to change in places , and the new color would be totally different, maybe pink or yellow; so the shirt would then be a mixture of both colors, and as it all warmed up, the shirt would become the second color. If someone came up and touched your shirt with a warm hand, then it made a handprint on the shirt, at least for a while.
    The little video shows exactly how it works.
    I am surprised that no one else remembers hypercolor. Maybe it was because I lived near Seattle, and the Generra company was located there; so we had a lot of hypercolor shirts in that area.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The only thing I remember changing color was a matchbox car my grandsons had. When you put it in cold or hot water it would change color.

It wasn't a very impressive color change though and something that they lost interest in quickly after the first few times.