Why Don't They Teach Finances To Kids?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Mary Stetler, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My father taught me a bit about money when I was a kid. Since I tend to be a bit tight about spending money, things worked out. I went to Catholic schools where they wore uniforms so I did not have to buy hundred dollar sneakers to fit in. At 15 I was required to get a paying job past baby/pet sitting. At 16 minimum wage was $1.65 and I lucked out and got a job for $2.95!!!! (I had to use my mom's car, though, to get there) We were warned, in advance, that whatever we wanted past tuition for school, we would then have to pay for ourselves. We could get jobs or pay from savings while at school....down to the last pizza...
    My mom showed me how to write a check.
    It was close to impossible to get credit.
    Things are more complicated now. But not sure if even responsibility is explained to kids, let alone how to save and not even invest money but how to stay out of debt-- What debt is and what happens when IN debt...
    They hand out credit cards like candy. Why?
    I don't understand why they teach how to change sexes but not how to manage one's life out in the world without assistance.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Ed Wilson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

To get 'slaves' ongoing for as long as possible.
    Proverbs 22:7 (NIV), “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.”

Ed Wilson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm not an expert on critical race theory or on math, and I don't intend to become well-versed in this area because I am highly unlikely to be raising any more children at this point in my life. However, I do have an interest in the way that children are taught, and what they learn, because they grow up to be adults who reflect various indoctrinations.

To my understanding, the examples given above of CRT in math are not representative of critical race theory in mathematics. As far as I can see, CRT is used in math classes as a means of adopting teaching methods that don't give an advantage to white children, the idea being that white children learn differently than black children. Although I am concerned that these teaching methods might result in holding children back who might otherwise excel in mathematics, I can appreciate the thinking behind it.

When I began teaching people to become EMTs and paramedics, I had to realize that not everyone learns in the same way. Broadly, some people are visual learners, and others are tactile learners, while others learn best by doing the thing that they are trying to learn. I learn best by reading the book and, while I was in college, I would sometimes skip classes in order to prepare for a test because I could better use my time studying the textbook and supplemental texts, while others would need a teacher to explain it to them. In saying this, I don't mean to negate the importance of teachers because there were things that I would be able to learn from them, just not the things that I needed in order to pass a test.

My concerns with critical race theory would hedge around the questions of whether they are advancing children of other races or holding white or Asian children back? Another concern is that I am not convinced that CRT is necessary in order to reach children of other races. I've known a lot of people from other races and I have seen no evidence that race has anything to do with intelligence or the ability to learn, although culture and the environment in which a child is raised may have a significant effect on educational success, for better or worse.

In culturally diverse classrooms, elements of CRT might make sense, but only if it is designed to bring some people up without holding others back, and I'm not persuaded that this is the objective.

Here's a video designed to promote CRT in math classes.

Keeping in mind that this is a promotional video, whose intention is to promote the inclusion of critical race theory in math, what do you think about this method of teaching?

My concerns are that it seems cultish and that the classroom activities don't allow any of these children time to think at all, let alone to think for themselves. Also, I'm not sure that an example of a dinner party for 150 people is going to relate to everyone in the room, setting aside the idea that the teacher is numerically dyslexic, but I get what she was trying to do there. Still, I can't help but think that if any of these kids were given a moment to think about it, at least one of them might wonder why a woman who can't tell 150 from 105 is the one who is doing the teaching.

The new term is Culturally Responsible Teaching, by the way.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

The kid in the plaid shirt should probably be in the next grade. I can't believe how hard she seems to work on teaching these concepts. I know I know them but I don't remember the process in my schooling.
    I know it was a lot quieter.

Ken Anderson likes this.