Why Some People Are So Frightened By Atheism?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Silvia Benoit, May 19, 2022.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Few days ago I was "shown" what I don't know how to describe...fear or ignorance.
    Myself and a friend stated we were Atheists; a third party -a passerby- reacted by saying we should be, at least, be incarcerated for denying the existence of god, that humanity was in crisis because lack of faith.
    What really scared me was the rage shown on this person' s face and voice.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, many, many Christians in America will say that's what's wrong with our society and the world............not enough belief. It's just the way it is and how thousands and thousands of Christians think. With all of the crime going on in America, and around the world, today, can't really blame them for how they feel.

So, since you are an Atheist, who do you believe in?

Ed Wilson and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I like to believe that all people who have spent a life have made life on earth either better or not better. I like to think that as small as it might be, my contribution is the former.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm just trying to imagine a circumstance where I would need to openly declare my regious belief, or lack thereof, in a public setting. I've professed my faith in Church, and was asked about my faith in the emegency room a few weeks ago, but that's about it.

I dunno.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m kinda sketchy about that too. Why would two people be standing around professing their Atheistic stance unless it were to provoke someone into a debate or perhaps answering a call to faith.
    I can see an Evangelical making a statement of faith for I’ve even seen and been a part of street preaching but what reward is there in professing one’s lack of faith?

Dunno.

6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree. I'm more on the live and let live long as it doesn't affect my life and livelihood.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I somewhat agree, but also, at the same time, really disagree. Confronting others about anything is just the way some people are. They want to know the "why" of different things.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Perhaps, Bobby, Silvia is just really proud of being an Atheist. But, one thing for sure, until she tells us, we really don't know how the encounter happened. Basically, unless a person states verbally that they are either an Atheist or Christian, how would the other person know? Very good question and will wait to hear from Silvia about that.

9. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Cody,

Most people are believers -all religions- and the world is as crooked as you said....so, don't you think to believe has not been a good thing for mankind?

About myself: Why do you think an Atheist believes in an entity parallelable to your?

See, I believe in what I see, smell, can touch and...above all...in myself.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Cody

My experience as an Atheist has taught me most people who confront me / others do so out of fear. Yes, out of fear of being proven wrong and, then having the need to change their way of thinking.

Ed Wilson and Sheldon Scott like this.
  11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Cody,,

Easy answer. In a conversation you have many ways to state your way of thinking. I give you and example:
    You: God Bless you, Silvia.
    Myself: Don't say that to me; God doesn't exist.

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nothing against Atheists as individual, but they seem to contribute little to society. Religions, including Atheism for it is a religion, can be the cause of conflict and hatred, but in general, religion should contribute something positive to society. Atheism contributes to the conflict, for neither Hitler nor Stalin really believed in a divine being, but does nothing positive for society. Even the tenets of right vs. wrong is determined by religion. That is why the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes are a big deal. Atheism has no such statement, but, instead, borrows from religion what is right and wrong and claims it as their own. An Atheist as an individual if fine, but as a group they are generally of little worth.

John Houlihan and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I don't know, Don, your post here seems to be quite contradictory. "Nothing against Atheists as individual", but then say things sort of contradictory to that. And then you say, "an Atheist as an individual is fine".

As for me, Don, your reply here is sort of "weird". Then again.

Can't wait to see what Silivia replies to you!

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I still don't know. To a point, is sort of sounds like you walked into (verbally) a confrontation. As for wife and I, we would never/ever say "God Bless you" to anyone and we don't know, personally, anyone that would.
    I'm sure Bobby will have something to say about your post here. Look forward to that.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ya know Silvia, if someone were to invite me to dinner and served something that was distasteful to me I would still say thank you.

When someone says, “God Bless You”, it isn’t in any way a derogatory wish but one of giving. Can you not simply say, Thank You and leave it at that instead of being confrontational and to me, downright rude?