Widow And Widower

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Corie Henson, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Dying is a sad topic but it is something that we have to face. When my father died a long time ago, people said that my grieving mother would easily recover because widows have high resistance to depression. And maybe they were right because my mother is still alive until today after being a widow for more than 20 years.

When my mother-in-law died in 2009, the same people said that my father-in-law may follow suit particularly that he had suffered a stroke a few months before. But that did not come true for he died in 2013, a good 4 years after being widowed. But in fairness to that saying, I know of so many widowers who did not last for a year after the death of their wife.

Come to think of it, in the recent family reunion that I attended, majority of the elders are women and the men are a minority even in other clans. That may mean that women have a longer life span than men?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson
    They say that's the case Corie, that women survive longer, I wonder if its because of the survival instinct in us
    Over here, most women see to the finances, organize the food and shopping needs, see to the children, so I would rather survive my Sparky for a short while to get everything in order
    Besides that - I wouldn't want to carry on without him

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband died 12 years ago and I've survived without him but he was older than me and I haven't reached the age that he was when he died. I had just barely turned 53 when he died and heard just turned 68.

Yes, being a woman the every day living was easy because nothing changed in that aspect for me but his knowledge of cars and anything mechanical is what I missed.

Kate Ellery and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother died when I was 21 and almost out of college. I watched my father go through MANY women for the next 7 years until he died. I do not wish that situation on anyone.......it caused me to feel very confused. My mother, I believe, would have done much better had my father died first. Women have to deal with change through out our lifetime, thus, giving us practice in adapting.

5. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved my husband who died nine years ago and still miss him, but life goes on and we go on with it. We were married 43 years when he died and because of his suffering I was grateful God saw fit to let him leave this earth. It was difficult then and still is sometimes but those times are less now. I have no urge to join him yet.

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Both of my grandfather's outlived their wives. My grandmother had Alzheimers although she was not young when she died. my grandfather outlived her by 8 years. He had a couple of girlfriends, and they both died too! Anyway. losing her was so sad for him..but he managed to deal with it, do to his strong faith I think. My other grandfather lived about 7 months after his wife's death. If she had not died first, he may have lived to be 100 like one of his sisters..He was about 95 close to 96 when he died.

7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered