Will The Presidential Debates Soon Be Happening On Social Media Instead Of T V ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Yvonne Smith, May 24, 2023.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Todnight, Elon Musk is holding an open dialogue with Ron DeSantis about his decision to run for presidency as a Republican candidate.
    For many years now, these kinds of public announcements, as well as debates between the candidates have happened on television, supervised by a pre-chosen mediator who is supposed to be fair to both candidates. Since the mainstream media is run by liberals, the debates have pretty much been used as an attack platform against conservative candidates.

After Musk announced the Twitter Spaces interview (which is supposed to be unscripted and shown live, as I understand it), people have been wondering if Musk will also host other presidential candidates the same way as DeSantis.
    Musk has said that he would do that if they want him to, and if this does happen, it could really change the way that candidates interact with each other and with the public in general.
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/05/calls-grow-joe-biden-hold-unscripted-twitter-space/

IMG_5152.jpeg

Denise Evans and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Geesh, Elon could slice him and dice him for the world to see. I doubt biden shows up, no telepromter, and unscripted, wow would I pay to see that one!! I guess I do have to pay, get the Blue Twitter, I'm thinking about it for sure. What do others think about paying for Twitter and the bennies that go with it??

Ed Wilson likes this.
  3. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

All I know for sure is the debates need to be removed from broadcast and cable TV networks and so called news people should not be moderators. I am tired of the bias in debates.

4. Denise Evans

Registered

A double Amen to that Vada!!

I just don't know how Twitter can become more user-friendly. It's still hard for me and I am pretty Tech savvy. It's just easier for people to who've learned to use a remote, to open cable channels. Even that process has a steep learning curve. I got cable to see what had changed and took the receiver back the next day, same ole crap on there, and worse.

Thomas Windom and Vada Bloom like this.
  5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

That's a good point, Denise. There are millions of people who don't use Twitter. Maybe the answer will be more debates on more platforms but I would really like to see the TV moderators dropped. Maybe the candidates will have to pay for air time. I don't have the answer but if conservatives ever want to win another election a lot of things need to change, not just the debates.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I would like to see a presidential debate on Trump's Truth Social if it's going to be on social media. He's already started to expound there.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I agree 100% Vada !!

8. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks for the reminder, I still have an account there, I'll go take some peeks at what's happening if I can still login ;)

9. Yvonne Smith

Monday, Robert Kennedy Jr, will be holding an open meeting on Twitter, just like Ron DeSantis did, and I imagine that more candidates will follow suit, since this gives them good press, and it appears they have more listeners than on television. Only when President Trump is part of a debate does the television news get the great ratings.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Oops, forgot to check my Twitter this a.m. I'll go do that. I need to get more info, some of that stuff you get Yvonne ;) I'll check who you're following. The whole world, except maybe some like my sis that turn the news off ;) or those that live so far from civilization they could care less about anything beside what they'll find to hunt, and sharpening their spears. I need to watch some documentaries on how others in those places are living, maybe I'll go there.

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think there will always have to be a moderator of some sort as there are in real debates. The moderator asks the questions and time limits are strict on both sides. To have a real debate, there should be a series of questions, say 10 questions submitted by each side to be asked by the moderator. A coin toss could decide who goes first. Say, if it was a debate between Kennedy and Trump, a question submitted by Trump could be asked of Trump and he would be allowed to answer it in whatever fashion could fit into 2 minutes, then Kennedy could respond for 2 minutes to Trump's answer. That would be followed by a 1 minute reply from Trump to any points not covered in his first spiel. The process would then be reversed, and Kennedy would be asked a question submitted by him and Trump would get his turn to respond followed by Kennedy's 1 minute. The debate would then be kept in bounds set by both candidates, the time would be limited, it would move quickly, and the moderator would have no say in what questions were asked.

This format would be awkward in multi-candidate "debates", but if it were limited to candidates pulling 15% or more in aggregate polls, they could be paired in a series perhaps. Maybe the top 4--two from each party could work unless there were a strong independent or 3rd party person.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Why not, just once I'd like to see the some of them come to blows, LOL!! I wish the damn war-mongers would have to do the fighting instead of sending in our young, and even older guys into harms way, oh yes, I don't want to leave out the women in our military but when I use the term "man" I always mean that in the biblical sense which I believe is man/woman. You know, Adam when he first saw Eve and said Wo man!! LOL!!

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

Did this ever happen??

14. Yvonne Smith

Yes, it did happen, and what i read was that so many people were trying to tune in that the servers couldn’t handle it. However, the reports also said that DeSantis didn’t do all that well at any of the places where he has spoken, and that he does not have a rapport with the people like President Trump has.
    It will be interesting to see how things go with Kennedy.
    He has said that he is not interested in a co-platform with Trump; however, it is looking like his political party may well do the same thing to him as is happening with Trump and the RINO’s.
    The democrats have already said that Biden will not be participating in any primary debates, and that they do not expect to have any primary debates at all before the 2024 election.

If Kennedy is dropped by his own party, it is still possible that down the road we could see a Trump/Kennedy ticket, although not looking likely at this point. It will be interesting to see how this shapes up as we get closer to the election next year.

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Denise Evans

Registered

Thanks Yvonne, no, no one is going to get the support Trump gets, I thought for a bit DeSantis might be a contender but it's that something he is lacking that I couldn't put my finger on, but I think you said it, rapport with the people. I don't know what it is about "this" Kennedy but maybe it's just that I'm not that impressed with him. But, I do need to listen more ;)

I think it should be written into law that anyone running for an office has to be in the debates, it's total bs that biden has gotten away with so much, showing, beyond a shadow of a doubt, he is incompetent :mad: