Working at The (Computerized) Rental Company.

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Yvonne Smith, May 28, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When the kids were little, we had to make a move from the little north Idaho town of Bonners Ferry, to Spokane, Washington, the largest town in our area.
    To find a rental houe, I signed up at a place called "The Rental Company". They listed rental properties free for the landlord, but charged about $40 for a years membership to the service. They had a book which we could look through and had all of the available rentals listed in it. I would spend a couple of hours in the morning looking through the available addresses, and then the kids and i went house-hunting in the afternoon.
    In due time, we found a house. It was not exactly what we wanted, but it worked. Since my membership was still good, I went back to the Rental Company to check and see what new places were coming available.
    He had moved to a larger office, and added a computer to his system, so we could now put in specific information about the size of house, preferred area, and rental range, and then we got an instant printout of all the houses fitting that description. I loved it ! !
    I loved it SO much that I applied for a job there.
    I was not a typist; but i could talk to the landlords on the phone, explain the service, and then take the information about their rental. I made a couple dollars an hour plus commissions. The more listings I got, the higher the commission rate was.
    The computer was a MS-DOS that used floppy disks and we had to update those each night just in case the computer crashed. There were two disks, one for apartments, and one for houses.
    The printer was the old tracking paper type of printer; all very upscale back then; but pretty much laughable now. It went "Squee-squaw" as it printed out the rental lists for people.
    I loved getting the new listings, and every time one came in with acreage and a place for horses, the kids and i went out to look at it.
    This was one of the first "real" jobs that I had, aside from the field labor working in the hops and the Christmas trees.
    To this day, if I dream that I am working somewhere, it is still usually at the Rental Company, answering the phone calls.