World Cup 2022

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Beth Gallagher, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We got home just in time to watch the last few minutes of USA vs Iran. I'm not even a soccer fan but I really wanted the US to win this one... and they DID!!! Congratulations to Team USA, a very classy group of young men.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I really couldn't care less about soccer/football. One of the sports networks accidentally posted a 0-0 tie for an NFL game. It wasn't true of course. I think they were so used to posting soccer scores that they just continued into the NFL. It was corrected shortly after.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

This is why I had an interest in the Iranian/US game. The poise of this young man during this interview is amazing. The captain of the USA soccer team, Tyler Adams, being interviewed by an Iranian horse's ass of a reporter...

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Iranian players have had the lives and the well-being of their families threatened (death and torture) if they did not "behave well" during the games and "sing Iran's national anthem."

Of course, this is what's being reported. Sadly, the odds of such statements being western propaganda are just about the same as the odds of it being true.

And as @Don Alaska said, I could not care less about soccer. I can respect the cardio shape those guys must be in. On average, they run between 7-10 miles per game. And unlike American football, it's actually more interesting in person that it is on the telly. I dated a woman who had a friend who played in a professional women's league. We'd watch the games in the original Redskin's RFK Stadium in DC.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We aren't fans, but two of our sons played soccer and a niece won a 4-year college scholarship playing soccer so we've watched plenty of non-pro games. I don't care to watch it on TV because the players on the field look like ants running around; everything is so spread out and small.

In that interview, Tyler should have asked the smart-ass Iranian for his thoughts on the murder of the Iranian woman for showing her HAIR in public. Disgusting hypocrites.

Don Alaska and Thomas Stillhere like this.
  6. John Brunner

I've been to a number of Redskins games, and found that plays develop all over the place and it's tough to follow in person. I much prefer watching American football on television. For me, soccer is the opposite...I prefer to watch it in person.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Same same with me, I had just lay down for a late nap and just happened to hit the right channel. I am not a fan of soccer and have no idea what is going on. I can say that there was a lot of aggressive activities taking place by several Iranians. One going as far as actually grabbing one Americans shirt from behind and pulling him down. A sure sign of desperation. America would have been out of contention had they lost this game today because they had not scored in the last game and tied, I guess in soccer tied means you lose.

8. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well doggone it, soccer cannot replace PeeWee T-Ball....... now that's fun to watch.

9. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Not much into televised sports. But most of my family sure likes it.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have no interest in sports, but the third journalist has just died suddenly while covering World Cup 2022 in Qatar . Several players have either collapsed or died this time, too.
    This is not normal, as far as I know.

9B7AA723-2F64-4C1C-838A-5A70B909F67D.jpeg

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  11. John Brunner

Grant Wahl (the one on the left) was married to Céline R. Gounder, an American infectious disease physician who served on the COVID-19 Advisory Board transition team for Biden. Link

Tweets like this one make it hard for me to scrape together a lot of sympathy for the guy:
    Grant Wahl.jpg
    Another self-important "celeb" giving unsolicited life advice outside of his strike zone.

He has other Tweets virtue-signaling when he got the shot. One would think that being vaxxed and being married to an infectious disease physician who worked at the White House pretty much gave him an edge over the rest of us. I wonder what the official cause of death will be.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It fits the pattern. I, too, wonder if they will even publish a COD.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Probably go to the Hunter Biden/Paul Pelosi Island Of Lost Stories.