World Health Organization To Declare Aspartame A Carcinogenic

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by John Brunner, Jun 29, 2023.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The World Health Organization (WHO) is reportedly going to deem aspartame "possibly carcinogenic" next month (July 14, 2023.)

The WHO's cancer research branch--the International Agency for Research on Cancer--is to make the announcement, with the WHO’s committee on additives--the Joint WHO Food and Agriculture Organization’s Expert Committee on Food Additives--also reviewing the additive.

The FDA declared this artificial sweetener to be safe in 1981.

Link

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been using aspartame for many, many years. I use 3 packs a day in my 3 cups of coffee. People all around me have been having cancer, some of them dying from it. I have not developed cancer so far. I quit using saccharine because," It causes cancer." Now they say, "Oops, it doesn't cause cancer, after all."

If they keep on, they will say drinking water causes cancer. Unless we buy designer bottled water.

And then they said eggs cause cholesterol, don't eat them. I went for years without eating eggs. Or only eating egg whites. Just look at all the money I wasted. Then, 'Oops, we were wrong. It's safe to eat eggs."

3. John Brunner

I get what you're saying. Quite some time ago, a scientist lobbied Congress to take pennies out of circulation because when he ground them up and fed them to lab rats, the rats died; therefore, pennies kill you. You get his point.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Registered

But don't we need copper in our diets?:)

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

'speically if you supplement zinc.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Registered

Weren't pennies made from zinc during WWII?

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

I know that nickels were made of steel. I think the pennies were also, then plated with zinc.

8. Shirley Martin

Registered

I remember seeing those odd-looking pennies some time or other. I bet they would be worth a pretty penny now. :)

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Maye Musk ( Elon’s mother) is big into healthy eating and health foods, and this is what she posted about the WHo declaring aspartame to be a carcinogen. She definitely says it is not a healthy sweetener, and should be limited in people’s diets; but that it is not any worse than having a steak dinner, or driving through a city with car fumes , which most of us have done in our lives.

IMG_5285.jpeg

10. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The last thing on my mind is following anything the WHO has to say. If they swear it's true it's undoubtedly a lie.

11. John Brunner

I don't know if I commented on this here, but I read a comment elsewhere (with no citations) that when scientists test these substances on lab rats, the substances do not cause cancer unless the rats' intake of poly-unsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) are increased from a normal level (Rat Chow) of 1.5 grams/day to a minimum of 4.5 grams/day, and sometimes up to 15 grams/day. Apparently, high levels of PUFAs are the catalyst required for these substances to create cancer cells.

The increase in the rates of cancer in our society coincides with the introduction of vegetable oils. I think others here (@Yvonne Smith?) have pointed out other health issues caused by them.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad WHO did this. Because it almost guarantees about 30% of the population will now finally believe aspartame is NOT carcinogen. I was a very small minority before. Thinking of stockpiling it.

13. Shirley Martin

Registered

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration disagrees with the World Health Organization’s classification of the soda sweetener aspartame as possibly carcinogenic to humans.

The FDA said the studies WHO experts relied on to make this conclusion had “significant shortcomings.”

Dr. Mary Schubauer-Berigan, a senior official at IARC, emphasized that the WHO classification of aspartame as a possible carcinogen is based on limited evidence.

The FDA spokesperson said the classification of aspartame as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” does not mean the sugar substitute is actually linked to cancer. Health Canada and the European Food Safety Authority have also concluded that aspartame is safe at the current permitted levels, the spokesperson said.

A separate body of international scientists called the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives said Thursday that the evidence of an association between aspartame and cancer in humans is not convincing.

The FDA has a slightly higher recommendation than JECFA and says it is safe for a person to consume 50 milligrams of aspartame per kilogram of body weight daily during their lifetime. A person who weighs 132 pounds would have to consume 75 packets of aspartame per day to reach this limit.

The results of epidemiologic studies (studies of groups of people) of possible links between aspartame and cancer (including blood-related cancers) have not been consistent for most cancers. Some studies have suggested a possible link, but others have not.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

About thirteen years ago I suffered with joint Ackes & muscle pains. It was differcult to get out of bed. My whole body hurt. At that time, we had a new family. Doctor who just took over the practice she was from Russia. She asked about my diet, When she found out, I was drinking from a 1/2 to 2/3 of a big bottle of diet soda with aspartame every night, She recommended I get off the aspartame immediately, Because of studies at that time Contributing fatigue, and Aggravating fibermyalgau to it. She used a holistic approach and put me on a Regiment Of vitamins and herbs. In about a week, I was almost back to normal. Weather it was me dropping the aspartame that helped Or not I don' know.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Everything is known to the State of California to cause cancer, so if you live there I would be cautious doing or handling anything. If you live anywhere else, you are probably okay eating aspartame.