Okay, I can see how this is going to work, and I think it will work well for me. Rather than buying a couple of thousand worms every spring to quicken the composting, I released most of the ones that I had in the one bin that I started with last fall, while they still had time to find a warmer environment deep within the pile. When however many I had left in my bin, plus the eggs that were yet to hatch, reproduced by a significant amount, I started a second bin, then a third, and now I have four, but that should take me through until real spring gets here (as opposed to the type of spring where temperatures are still low and there's snow on the ground). Once that happens, I can dump all four of my bins into the outdoor compost piles, with the exception of just a few to keep one bin going, releasing some of the worms from that one off and on throughout the summer. Next winter, I think I'm going to try keeping only whatever eggs are in the soil, letting them hatch and become my new crop for the winter. That should allow me to get through the winter without having to have four bins. Done correctly, there is no smell and there is no mess. I over moistened the bedding and/or overfed them once this winter, and had a slight problem with fruit flies but that was quickly corrected with a few fly traps and not doing that anymore.