Would A Bomb Shelter Save You In The Event Of A Nuclear War?

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Shirley Martin, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Biden seems to think that a nuclear war is imminent. Would seeking shelter in a bomb shelter increase your chance of surviving?

The Department of Homeland Security says, "What to do when/if a radiation emergency occurs. Residents are instructed to take cover inside a basement or the middle of a building, wait inside to reduce exposure to radiation, and keep informed via radio, television, computer, or mobile device for further instructions. These instructions are the standard procedures for what to do in the event of a radiation emergency, and were recently reiterated a few months ago when New York City Emergency Management released a viral PSA on the topic. According to information listed toward the bottom of the poster, this particular messaging was issued by the Department of Homeland Security."

If a bomb hits a city, do they really think there will be a building left to take cover in? Would we have enough warning to take cover before the bombs hit? If we take cover in a bomb shelter, what about food, water, and radiation when we come out? How many people of any country would survive in the case of an all out nuclear war?

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like a 1950/60's thread!:eek:

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Today's tactical suitcase nukes could be "hand delivered" with no warnings. The ultimate suicide bombers.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Short term probably, unless you are at ground zero then you would never know you were hit. I think the safest place to be would be out to sea where there were no close blast, salt water is a natural cleanser of surface radiation. Our warships were all retro fitted with showering systems on deck years ago, to wash away residual radiation falling onto the ships. It would wash the main deck front to rear. I was underground in my old job as a Nike crewman and our console room altho small had enough rations to keep 7 of us alive for two weeks. In our launch area the non launch personnel like the dog handlers and maintenance people had a large windowless solid concrete building that had a lead room so heavy they all needed to be sat by large cranes when the building of the sites were underway. They also had rations stored and could survive as long as we launch crews. Today the lifting eyes of those lead doghouses are still on the front of the building just like they sat them over 60 years ago. It was very doubtful any of the Nike sites would have been ground zero targets because the enemy would have been killed before they launched by plane, at 90 miles out and we had a triad over lapping each others range. Of course this is old technology when no one had the high speed cruise missiles. The system finally was not cost worthy so all the bases became extinct in one day. I left with orders to go to a hawk missile site off shore in Vietnam but there were so many of us missile people they needed no one and they also faulted on mine and a lot of others re enlistment contracts. I could have simply said send me home and they would have had no choice but to do that. I stayed and finished my 3 years left in my re enlistment and don't regret it. I still got out 7 months early with full benefits because they were closing down our war and wanted to get as many of us off the combat pay roll as possible. I was ready to come home ;0)

John Brunner likes this.
  5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I still don't think a nuclear war is necessary except to control us like a covid virus. If Russia, the Arab countries, Venezuela...just stop producing/ exporting oil, it will stop the world cold. Biden would like the threat of nuclear to take the blame of of himself after taking down our own production capeabilities. To get them up and running will take a lot of time as the producers don't trust the administration to make good on all that it takes to pay for it . Someone lost a lot on the shut down of the Keystone Pipeline. And we have already spent our strategic oil reserves instead of keeping them for a true emergency--which is coming.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Very good, @Mary Stetler! Things are going downhill rapidly, and whenever the West thinks they are punishing Putin or Russia, it backfires. Now Biden wants to pull all our military support form Saudi Arabia for siding with the Russians. Duh...China and Russia would just love that suicide move. Our strategic reserves are about gone and some were went to China of all places. Perhaps nobody in the Biden Administration knows what "strategic" or reserve" means. After all, we have a Supreme Court justice who doesn't know what a woman is, so perhaps this group doesn't understand the definition of other words as well.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In the spirit of "Why would you want to survive such a thing?"--with the caveat of Never Underestimate Your Survival Instinct--I lived near DC (Ground Zero) for nearly 50 years and always told myself that if I saw that flash over the horizon, I'd just run into it.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not NO but Heck no.
    We’re right across the street from the Redstone Arsenal. Ya know, that place in Alabama where things are so secret that they even frown upon a flock of geese flying overhead?

The thing is, I detest waiting in long lines so we live here so we can be first in line to go when the defecation strikes the oscillator. Besides, we’re both over 70 and playing Adam and Eve isn’t even in the script any longer. Added to that, we’re both planning on cremation anyway……
    (fade in the song, “Dust in the Wind”.).

9. John Brunner

Yeh, that thought is in my head every time TEOTWAWKI is raised. Were I in on the other side of 50, my answers would be more certain of survival at any cost. These days I'm kind of ambivalent about the whole thing.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I do not think that a bomb shelter would save us in the event of an attack, regardless of where a person lives.
    Even if you did survive the bomb, what then ?
    Everything is blown up, maybe radioactive, no place to go, no food and water that is safe, and probably marauding bands of survivors looking for guns and whatever else they can find or steal.
    So maybe better not to survive, and at least die quickly.

That being said, I do not think that nuclear war is imminent, and I do not think that anyone is likely to bomb the United States. Countries that might want to take us over, do not need to destroy the land and buildings and make the place uninhabitable.
    Just an EMP attack would disable everything, and put the whole nation at a standstill, while not killing people or destroying buildings and farms.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Marie Mallery and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

It would merely prolong the inevitable. However the political people and much of their family will be underground safe and secure for long time.

12. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A few years ago they built an underground sanctuary directly beneath the capitol grounds. You can bet more than just the needed staff to command a war will be living there. God help us if this group of puppeteers presently controlling the half wit will be in charge. I don't believe Republicans have what it takes to open an investigation into who exactly writes the scripts for slo joe and tell him to not talk about this or that when asked. It is a felony for anyone to issue an order to the military or any other government agency as a non elected federal official. It is considered a coup de tat, but since they got away with one already they are more than ever content to rule America which will fail, and they will all eventually pay for it with their lives. I just keep saying it over and over, we have pure trash in our government that would have all been executed by any other nation for what they have done and are still doing to the USA. They managed to kill or destroy the rule of law and entered into a one party rule by breaking or ignoring all our laws. Our greatest enemies are that small group of stealing lying perverted no bodies hiding behind a simple congressional or senate seat. The scales are heavy on the end of criminals but when the cleanup begins they won't be able to hide.

13. John Brunner

They deserve each other.

And they're already inbred, anyway...

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

OK maybe not Adam and Eve. But we may be one of the last generations who know how to DO anything without a computer.;)

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Ironically, I recently ordered a survival book~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~for my Kindle. :)