Would You Donate Money To Worthy Causes If Run By Atheists?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Atheists run and support a number organizations that provide aide and assistance to the needy.

2. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I couldn't answer that without more details. If the group was expressly known to be composed of atheists only, I would not.

On the other hand, when I worked at a com. college, we had in our city a community benefit project known as the United Way, which did many admirable things.
    I supported that, and I knew that one lady on our staff, a lawyer, who was an atheist had a leadership role, and we were even friends. I'm sure there may have been others.

Atheists are mixed in with a lot of organizations, but I do not consider that to be a reason to distance myself from them, or not make donations. We live in a free country and we can decide to be of any faith we desire, or not. But I still love to have conversations with them. I had several atheists I mingled with in my career, who I considered friends.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course I would. The operative words being "worthy cause." Who cares about the religious affiliation of a charity, if they are helping people in need. You don't need to be a Christian to help your fellow man.

I can't think of a single time I have considered a donation and wondered about the religious leanings of the solicitor.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

If they are doing good works based on the principle of loving your neighbor as yourself, then who cares? Many scam artists pose as Christian organazations. All I want to know is how much money is going to the cause and how much to management. When I see CEOs of charitable organizations worth millions, then I won't donate to them. I try to help directly and in my community.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm tired of being baited over race and religion.

Can you please start a thread on sex?

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll take the bait, Lon..........absolutely not!

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Unless you do a lot of research on each individual of an organization to find out if they are atheist or not before you even consider contributing to its cause why bother?

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

So , a mere 10 minutes later, and we are now being baited about sex instead of race and religion. Thanks, @John Brunner .

Alan Sidlo, Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Where you are missing something here is that Lon wrote the word “support” in his OP.

Christian based Homeless missions are supported by a myriad of people practicing a myriad of religions so to say that you wouldn’t give to a homeless mission because an atheist gave support in the way of money or food to it is a little off balance.
    Many years ago when Seattle had a terrible ice storm, the director of the Seattle Union Mission put out a plea for help on the radio. Although it was weird, a few Atheists showed up with blankets, food and money to help with the overnight street patrol and also announced that they were Atheists. Who cared? They helped. I imagine there were more Atheists who helped who didn’t announce who they were but it was strange that the few who did announce themselves felt a need to do so.
    Heck, we didn’t care if it was a trained monkey showing up with a can of coffee and a blanket. People needed help and we needed the resources and support.

Now, whether or not you would give to a worthy cause if it was owned and / or operated by an Atheist is a matter of speculation depending on what that worthy cause is and how it is being operated.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Yeh, I saw.

Sorry. I can't decide if I overestimated him or underestimated him.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

It isn't other members' fault that John is only a forum yearling and missed out on all the sex talk before he joined here. The best stuff has been deleted, thankfully. Sorry about your bad luck John, but maybe an in-depth search of the archives might reveal some milder sex talk and satisfy your yearning.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

That figures.
    No contributor to any cause will do that kind of research.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Next thread: What sex, race and religion was the first person you had sex with and if that person was an Atheist did they have a worthy cause to support.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Uh, how do know I wouldn’t if so needed?
    Before I give to ANY organization I cross all the t’s and dot all the i’s because I will NOT fill a bunch of pockets whilst doing nothing for whatever cause is listed.
    Von did stipulate the words, “why bother” but if indeed whilst checking the stats of an organization that the religion that founded it comes out it’s just another piece of information to be considered.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Yvonne Smith and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

What bait? Seems to me to be a straightforward question.