Would You Eat Dog Food? Or Cat Food?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Shirley Martin, May 2, 2022.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I recently ordered my dog some Purina One smart blend dog food. She usually only has dry food. When I opened the beef with brown rice, it smelled good enough to eat. It says, "No poultry byproducts". I remember hearing a long time ago that some people were so poor that they resorted to eating dog food or cat food.

I haven't tasted it yet but if worst comes to worst, I might. :) Would you eat it?

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think anyone who was truly hungry, if not starving, would be glad to have a can of even cheap canned dog food.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that "old people eating cat food" myth was dispelled when the costs of animal food versus the costs of cheap people canned meats & fish were compared. That being said, when I read your title my mind started racing through all the questionable Chinese restaurants I've eaten at. ;)

I'm not sure I'd eat either of those things. I think the Gag Factor would be so high that--regardless of how hungry I might be--I would lose whatever stomach contents I may have, rather than take in calories. I fear it would be a net-negative.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I remember tasting MilkBones when I got them for the dogs, and they were not all that bad. I think that there would be a lot of other choices that I would make before just eating dog food, either dry or canned.
    I think that a person can get a 50 lb bag of rolled oats for about a third of the cost of a bag of regular (not the expensive stuff) dog food; and if you added water and cooked it, you would get a lot more to eat than the dog food would give you, and oats are very nutritious. Add a few dandelion greens, and you have a pretty healthy emergency diet going on.

6. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I just keep thinking about the scene in "Prince of Tides" where the father throws a fit about the mother's "fancy cooking" and demands for her to make a meal a man can eat.

She goes into the kitchen, dumps a can of dog food, some sliced potatoes, and some chopped onions into a skillet and fries it up.

Dad wolfs it down, satisfied with his "man's meal". Mother and kids stand by with straight faces

Frankly, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between that and canned corn beef hash.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Some of the premium cat food that I get smells good enough to eat. I've found that the ones that smell best to me aren't usually the ones that the cats like best.

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I'd Woof it down!;)
    [​IMG]

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you’ve eaten a hot dog or sausage that uses offal parts and pieces, then you’ve essentially eaten dog or cat food by another name. It’s just prepared differently.

So, in answer to the question, whilst I may not mark the stuff as first or even second choice, if it was the difference between going hungry or not, yup.
    Heck, in some countries those really big water bugs (cockroaches) you see running around are fair game for the skillet or wok.

10. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I ate it for 5 years while in the Army. Food was terrible and the worst of all the service branches. The best chow was in the Navy and still is. In the 70s there was a well known fast food chain that was buying cheap hamburger from Australia, turns out it was kangaroo meat. True story I just can't remember which chain was buying it, but in their defense they did not know that it was not hamburger.

11. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nick Nolte called it pat~te describing it to his dog after retrieving an opened can in the dumpster, he was eating it in "Down and Out in Beverly Hills". :0)

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes, dogs get tired of eating dog food........
    5 Secret Dog Menus Your Pup Will Love!
    [​IMG]

"What’s one of the best things about Southern California? In-N-Out! We have a bunch of them and they adored by many. How cruel is it to drive thru and let your dogs smell the deliciousness but never get a taste! In-N-Out has a secret menu, that most know about by now, but did you know they have a secret menu for dogs? Next time order something for your pup. The most popular is the “Puppy patty”; a non-seasoned beef patty. It may be a little greasy but it’s bound to be a hit with the dogs! You can also order the “Flying Dutchman”; two beef patties and two slices of cheese. I can’t imagine any dog turning this down! If In-N-Out isn’t your style you can always hit up a Shake Shack location nearby and get your pup a “Pooch-ini”; dog biscuits, peanut butter sauce, and vanilla custard. They also have a bag of bones you can buy there. It’s a win-win!"

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Canned - um only if i could get past the smell. Dry, with some olive oil and spices it might could be doable. However i have acquired a bit of a sensitive gut and I can see living on the Throne would be in my future. :(

14. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

0114221429.jpg

i load up my oats with moringa oleifera coconut oil, butter, and other foraged options, which i nibble throughout the day, in order to get my share of breakfast, due to competition with our animals.

please don't take me for a health nut, i do supplement my diet with ample amounts of meats (of which the animals also get their share). so, yeah i guess i do eat pet food or rather the pets eat mine.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, well, another thread that I can reply to:

When my step-mom would make a roast, my step-dad would pour the grease in the bottom of the roast pan over dry dog food for both of the dogs. One time he had me take both dog bowls out on the back porch to feed both dogs. I tasted a bite and it didn't taste half bad. The roast grease made the dry dog food taste pretty good. But, that was the only time I did that.