Ww2 Discussion

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Richard Whiting, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If the ME 262 jet fighter had been brought on line earlier in the war, it might have had a tremendous negative impact on British bombing raids.

Once again we see Hitlers interference in weapons production. As originally designed, Messerschmitt saw the ME 262 as a jet fighter, BUT Hitler interfered and ordered it to be used as a bomber. This delayed production.

Also, there was an additional problem. Due to a lack of critical metals, the jet engine had to be scrapped after only 25 hours of service. The metals, as used, just could not stand up to the tremendous heat.

Tom Galty likes this.
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Maisie is a friend of mine. She wrote a book about her tribulations as a teenager during the war. She was moved out of London proper during the Blitz, but was well aware of what was the daily dose of constant bombing hour after hour during that time. She also witnessed first hand the many fighter planes on both sides going after each other. Her book is very interesting, as told from a teenager's eyes.

3. Lois Winters

Registered

It is still bandied about among some government minds, whether the pilots of the RAF and the USAAF should have been tried as war criminals for what was done to Dresden.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I enjoyed what she wrote but for whatever reason she disappeared. It’s really unfortunate because her insights would prove extremely valuable in discussions such as this thread promotes.

Tom Galty likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Many are the times I have wondered why those rulers, kings and leaders who would wage frivolous wars aren’t merely disposed of instead of making civilians responsible for a leader’s actions.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Lois Winters

Registered

Bobby, didn't you know these leaders, despite some silly missteps such as waging a frivolous war, is still considered far more valuable than a lowly citizen he represents?

Cannot help being sarcastic regarding this subject.

7. Richard Whiting

Registered

IMO, while it is true that Germany were being badly beaten on all fronts, even German civilians were still putting up a fight right to the very end.

Earlier in the war, when Germany was winning , they quite enjoyed German "conquests".
    Everywhere we look we see Germany murdering millions upon millions of innocent civilians. 25% of Poland's civilians were wiped out. 25 million Soviets. In every occupied country Germany had sent millions of civilians to be gassed and cremated, including 6 million Jews.

Right from the very beginning Germany was in the business of murder.
    They sowed the wind and now they reaped the whirlwind.

Tom Galty likes this.
  8. Lois Winters

Registered

I was about 6 when WWII got underway in Europe and believe me, my father made certain that I followed the news of what was going on over there every day until the end of that war. I learned things no one else knew about, and it wasn't pretty.

Richard Whiting likes this.
  9. Richard Whiting

Registered

I imagine that your father was only trying to protect you. Like what to do if an air raid siren went off. But, still, its a lot for a kid to have to learn at so tender an age.

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Did ya’ll know that when those being held captive in German concentration camps were liberated, many of them died by the hands of their liberators?

Seeing that the prisoners were malnourished, well meaning soldiers fed the prisoners but alas, not being used to consuming real food, many of the prisoners died very soon after eating.

11. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Can you remember the name of the book?

We had an air raid shelter in our back garden(yard) and remember hazily a couple of times going down it in the summer of 1944 to escape the V1, lived in Bromley(London) at that time was 2 year old.

12. Richard Whiting

Registered

i read that young boys collected bits and pieces of shrapnel. This was a big game with them.

Tom Galty likes this.
  13. Lois Winters

Registered

Not off hand, but I can ask Maisie. She's on a couple of forums under the name of Maywalk.

14. Lois Winters

Registered

He was a true believer that children should be aware of history as it is being made.

15. Richard Whiting

Registered

i can't help but wonder what might have happened IF Hitler had followed up the defeat of France and the evacuation of Dunkirk with the immediate invasion of the UK ?
    do you think that the RAF and the Royal navy would have been enough to stop the invasion ?

Lois Winters likes this.